COVID Vax Exemption Enhanced Guidelines Voyages

Uncle Sugar

According to Princess COVID vaccination definitions prior to September 6th, my wife and I are considered to be “fully vaccinated,” having completed the initial two shots last year (2021). Since last November (2021) we have sailed on eight cruises totaling almost 70 days. The longest cruise occurred earlier this year when we completed a month-long sojourn aboard one of the Royal class vessels. Before embarking each of our voyages, we were successfully tested; plus, during the B2B’s, we tested successfully before continuing on to the next leg. 

We are currently booked later this year on one of the newly classified “Enhanced Guidelines Voyages”—designated such as of September 6th. We originally booked this voyage 1½’ years ago. But last week the rules suddenly changed. To sail on an “Enhanced” cruise, guests need to be “updated”—defined as having the initial two doses and at least one booster.

Without getting into the pros and cons, we have chosen not to have a booster shot—a personal decision. Accordingly, we contacted Princess to obtain a vaccination exemption which was subsequently approved.

But here’s the rub: the exemption approval wording contains the following guidance:

• Our status is now "unvaccinated"---no longer considered "fully vaccinated"--and we must enter "unvaccinated" on the Health Status section of the Medallion Class app
  • We must be negative on a PCR test conducted within three days of sailing (rapid antigen not accepted)
  • We must have an additional embarkation day test performed at the terminal—this test will be arranged via a specified private contractor website and will be at our own expense  
  • In addition, we will have to undergo a number of tests (exact number unspecified) during the duration of the voyage, as well as just prior to disembarkation—with all associated costs being our responsibility

We have contacted Princess to obtain more specificity as to the number of tests and the out-of-pocket costs involved but have not yet received a response—nor do we expect to hear back based on recent customer service experience.

Because of the sudden appearance of these much more onerous exemption requirements (despite our prior “fully vaccinated” status), we have asked about the feasibility of cancelling this particular voyage, but have been told it’s too late, as final payment has been made and the Princess “Cruise with Confidence” program is no longer applicable to voyages departing after September 30th (our situation).

So, we’re between a rock and a hard place. Anyone else in the same boat? Any suggestions for how to proceed?

Edited by Uncle Sugar
Spacing between paragraphs
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Uncle Sugar said:

According to Princess COVID vaccination definitions prior to September 6th, my wife and I are considered to be “fully vaccinated,” having completed the initial two shots last year (2021). Since last November (2021) we have sailed on eight cruises totaling almost 70 days. The longest cruise occurred earlier this year when we completed a month-long sojourn aboard one of the Royal class vessels. Before embarking each of our voyages, we were successfully tested; plus, during the B2B’s, we tested successfully before continuing on to the next leg. 

We are currently booked later this year on one of the newly classified “Enhanced Guidelines Voyages”—designated such as of September 6th. We originally booked this voyage 1½’ years ago. But last week the rules suddenly changed. To sail on an “Enhanced” cruise, guests need to be “updated”—defined as having the initial two doses and at least one booster.

Without getting into the pros and cons, we have chosen not to have a booster shot—a personal decision. Accordingly, we contacted Princess to obtain a vaccination exemption which was subsequently approved.

But here’s the rub: the exemption approval wording contains the following guidance:

• Our status is now "unvaccinated"---no longer considered "fully vaccinated"--and we must enter "unvaccinated" on the Health Status section of the Medallion Class app
  • We must be negative on a PCR test conducted within three days of sailing (rapid antigen not accepted)
  • We must have an additional embarkation day test performed at the terminal—this test will be arranged via a specified private contractor website and will be at our own expense  
  • In addition, we will have to undergo a number of tests (exact number unspecified) during the duration of the voyage, as well as just prior to disembarkation—with all associated costs being our responsibility

We have contacted Princess to obtain more specificity as to the number of tests and the out-of-pocket costs involved but have not yet received a response—nor do we expect to hear back based on recent customer service experience.

Because of the sudden appearance of these much more onerous exemption requirements (despite our prior “fully vaccinated” status), we have asked about the feasibility of cancelling this particular voyage, but have been told it’s too late, as final payment has been made and the Princess “Cruise with Confidence” program is no longer applicable to voyages departing after September 30th (our situation).

So, we’re between a rock and a hard place. Anyone else in the same boat? Any suggestions for how to proceed?

If you want to cancel:

Do you have a TA or CVP that could work with you if you want to cancel?  Did you buy insurance, where you can CFAR?  If you did, then they can direct you. 

If you still want to go:

TA/CVP probably could help to find out the possibility of testing. I would bet, it is dependent on the Government’s rules, regarding testing unvaxxed  guests coming into port.  So, PCL would be responsible to get you tested.  

Lastly, the easiest is just get the booster.

I know, it may not be an option, but had to mention it, just in case.

We’ve known all along that these rules can change very quickly snd we just have to work with them, if possible.  I am surprised you fall in that category of unvaxxed.  Instead of not up to date.  

Best of luck to you two.

• Like 2

I am not able to get the vaccine and am also booked on an enhanced guideline voyage.  Did you receive your exemption letter prior to the recent changes?  Earlier this summer the Princess website listed the same requirements contained in the exemption letter.  As the summer progressed, the website requirements began to differ from the letter and now the website contains none of the information that is in the exemption letter.  When the enhanced guideline voyage information was first released, the website had conflicting info, saying fully vaccinated only in some parts of the site and other parts of the website saying unvaccinated were welcome to sail on the enhance guideline voyage.  With one exception (the only one I have found), the contradicting info has been changed to reflect that unvaccinated/not fully vaccinated are allowed to cruise on these voyages.

Until this past weekend my boarding status in the Medallion app was yellow and now it's green.  In addition, I spoke to a Princess rep last week who said I technically no longer needed to bring my exemption letter to get on the ship, but should probably have it with me just in case.  My conversation with her indicated that the initial restrictions placed in the exemption letter were no longer in place.  It would be worth it for you to call Princess to confirm I'm giving the right information.  If the rep says something different then I would ask to be escalated up to the customer support dept (or whatever the next level up is called).  I only say this because the first rep I spoke to said I couldn't cruise even with an exemption letter. 

Edited by Kgills
  • Thanks 1

I am so sorry for this craziness! We had to get a booster last April to cruise in May. We barely made the deadline! We originally did the J&J but had to get a booster of something else because the J&J was no longer available.

I hope you have insurance. The CFAR would work. 

Everything is loosening up so this is ridiculous!

1 hour ago, Kgills said:

In addition, I spoke to a Princess rep last week who said I technically no longer needed to bring my exemption letter to get on the ship, but should probably have it with me just in case.  My conversation with her indicated that the initial restrictions placed in the exemption letter were no longer in place.

This doesn’t sound right to me.  On an enhanced voyage you must be fully vaccinated and 1 booster. If you’re unvaccinated you would need an exemption. Are you sure that Princess agent had a clue what she was telling you?  Why on earth would she tell you that you don’t need to bring it with you?

From the Princess site:  i assume you’re leaving from the US?

Enhanced Guidelines Voyages include full Panama Canal transits, Trans-Ocean crossings, and special voyages. View our Enhanced Guidelines Voyages list. Guests on these voyages must be fully vaccinated and up to date which means you have received all doses in an authorized or approved vaccines series and at least 1 booster if eligible before embarkation. Unvaccinated guests can request a vaccination exemption to sail by contacting Princess.

The Website says you need an exemption and you have it.  If you showed up at the port with no vaccination proof and no exemption… you would not get on.  So sorry you were told this. Has to be a mistake.

3 hours ago, Uncle Sugar said:

Thinking about it, you would take your vaccination cards with you as well as your exemption and take your PCR test results to the port. 

The testing would be at the port and if they are required by governments at the ports you are visiting. One way to get an idea is just look at the restrictions.  Example: Samoa requires fully vaccinated and test prior to arrival. 

I don’t know where you’re going, but that would give you an idea of testing.

CFAR insurance returns at best, 75% of one’s money. 
Some policies only 50%

Were I you, I’d reconsider my stance on getting a single booster. Typically done at no cost to those getting the vaccination.

For a decision based totally on cost (many decisions, I realize, aren’t), it’s really a no brainer.

Not meant to be preachy. Just my $.02 worth. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Sugar said:

Did you purchase Cancel for any reason princess platinum insurance?

Requirements are changing constantly.

Princess has been very generous with us- had 3 cancellations using Cruise with Confidence BEFORE their cutoff dates.

good luck—- boosters were worth it to us.

1 hour ago, Kgills said:

I am not able to get the vaccine and am also booked on an enhanced guideline voyage.  Did you receive your exemption letter prior to the recent changes?  Earlier this summer the Princess website listed the same requirements contained in the exemption letter.  As the summer progressed, the website requirements began to differ from the letter and now the website contains none of the information that is in the exemption letter.  When the enhanced guideline voyage information was first released, the website had conflicting info, saying fully vaccinated only in some parts of the site and other parts of the website saying unvaccinated were welcome to sail on the enhance guideline voyage.  With one exception (the only one I have found), the contradicting info has been changed to reflect that unvaccinated/not fully vaccinated are allowed to cruise on these voyages.

Until this past weekend my boarding status in the Medallion app was yellow and now it's green.  In addition, I spoke to a Princess rep last week who said I technically no longer needed to bring my exemption letter to get on the ship, but should probably have it with me just in case.  My conversation with her indicated that the initial restrictions placed in the exemption letter were no longer in place.  It would be worth it for you to call Princess to confirm I'm giving the right information.  If the rep says something different then I would ask to be escalated up to the customer support dept (or whatever the next level up is called).  I only say this because the first rep I spoke to said I couldn't cruise even with an exemption letter. 

We were not aware of the revised COVID-19 vax requirements for "Enhanced Voyages" until receiving an email notification from Princess on February 6th. We contacted Customer Support a couple days later to request exemption status and received our exemption email letter on February 9th. Because of our concerns and the fact that the exemption language was obviously directed toward "unvaccinated" guests, I recontacted Customer Support (via phone) the following day for clarification. I was advised then that we must follow the new--and onerous--exemption instructions exactly or else we will be denied boarding at the terminal--i.e., apparently "fully vaccinated" status no longer applied in our cases. We were now "unvaccinated," and that's final! The only unknowns were the number of additional tests we would have to undergo and the associated cost responsibilities. I was advised someone would get back to us early this current week, but I'm not holding my breath.  

Especially annoying is that the vax change requirements were sprung on us well after the fact--too late to cancel the cruise without substantive financial penalty or to receive off-setting Future Cruise Credits. We do not purchase "cancel for any reason" travel insurance. Plus, as originally stated, we have decided to bypass the booster jabs. 

13 hours ago, Uncle Sugar said:

The only unknowns were the number of additional tests we would have to undergo and the associated cost responsibilities. I was advised someone would get back to us early this current week, but I'm not holding my breath.  

If you post which cruise you are taking, you might be able to get more direct information from others who have been on those cruises or similar. My "total guess" on the reason they can't tell you what the additional tests are is related to the ports that you are stopping at, since that is also a moving target. Some ports require a booster vaccination, some require testing within 24 hours, etc. and as we all know, requirements are constantly changing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

If you post which cruise you are taking, you might be able to get more direct information from others who have been on those cruises or similar. My "total guess" on the reason they can't tell you what the additional tests are is related to the ports that you are stopping at, since that is also a moving target. Some ports require a booster vaccination, some require testing within 24 hours, etc. and as we all know, requirements are constantly changing.

Today I checked the current COVID vax entry requirements for all the stops being visited on our booked "Enhanced Guidelines Voyage," and none require a booster. Some do require the initial two vaccinations—defined as “fully vaccinated.” Only one of the destinations may require testing before visiting—but not clear whether would apply to cruise ship visitors.

As further information, the additional testing requirements specified to us in our exemption letter are apparently "above and beyond.” For example, our exemption letter stated, "Using a seven day cruise as an example...includes testing at the terminal before departure and twice during the voyage with fees charged to guests' onboard folios." Our voyage in question is way more than seven days--its duration is one month. Plus, testing prior to disembarkation is also mentioned. Bottom line, the inference is numerous additional tests, all our financial responsibility.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dog said:

Looks like you have these options:

1. cancel & take the penalty

2) pay for required testing 

3) get a booster

good luck

Don't forget the waiver for vaccination status.  

46 minutes ago, Uncle Sugar said:

Today I checked the current COVID vax entry requirements for all the stops being visited on our booked "Enhanced Guidelines Voyage," and none require a booster. Some do require the initial two vaccinations—defined as “fully vaccinated.” Only one of the destinations may require testing before visiting—but not clear whether would apply to cruise ship visitors.

As further information, the additional testing requirements specified to us in our exemption letter are apparently "above and beyond.” For example, our exemption letter stated, "Using a seven day cruise as an example...includes testing at the terminal before departure and twice during the voyage with fees charged to guests' onboard folios." Our voyage in question is way more than seven days--its duration is one month. Plus, testing prior to disembarkation is also mentioned. Bottom line, the inference is numerous additional tests, all our financial responsibility.

And the cruise is???  Keep in mind that some places have different requirements for cruise ships than for passengers arriving by other means.

12 minutes ago, ldtr said:

And the cruise is???  Keep in mind that some places have different requirements for cruise ships than for passengers arriving by other means.

Absolutely true.  But, I suggested he check those countries, because some require boosters and may not let you visit, without special exemption.  So, just a good thing to know.

However, definitely could be more restrictive for cruise ships.

1 hour ago, Uncle Sugar said:

That sounds like the worst case scenario.

I think what you need to know is just an idea how many tests are possible on the route you are taking.  

I would say you need to talk to someone at princess, who could check this for you.

Just some idea would be helpful to make your decision.  Good luck to you and let us know how it turns out.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Absolutely true.  But, I suggested he check those countries, because some require boosters and may not let you visit, without special exemption.  So, just a good thing to know.

However, definitely could be more restrictive for cruise ships.

I do known that some of the south pacific islands still have fairly tight requirements.  Even though the OP has not stated where he is cruising, not many cruises of that length, within the penalty period, except for the ones going to some of those locations.

7 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I do known that some of the south pacific islands still have fairly tight requirements.  Even though the OP has not stated where he is cruising, not many cruises of that length, within the penalty period, except for the ones going to some of those locations.

Yes, my thoughts too. Many of the SP ports have been cancelled or changed due to covid and Hand foot and mouth. 
On HAL and PCL Sep & Oct anyway.

Unless the OP is on b2b’s?  IDK

22 hours ago, Uncle Sugar said:

Especially annoying is that the vax change requirements were sprung on us well after the fact--too late to cancel the cruise without substantive financial penalty or to receive off-setting Future Cruise Credits. We do not purchase "cancel for any reason" travel insurance. Plus, as originally stated, we have decided to bypass the booster jabs. 

IANAL, but we canceled several cruises last year and were fully refunded (even on non-refundable ones.)  The terms of the contract have changed since you entered into it.  I'm not sure if Princess' fine print has changed in the last year, but my lawyer advised me to pursue it (thousands of $).  Unless expressly stated, it can't be unilaterally changed without your consent.  Read through all their pages to see.  Taking the FCC may be the easier way out.

Thanks for the heads-up.  Our transatlantic is not listed here: https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/vaccine-testing-requirements/voyages-with-enhanced-guidelines.html -- hopefully, it's not just "yet."  Do you think this is driven by one of the places you're visiting?

51 minutes ago, Username0123 said:

IANAL, but we canceled several cruises last year and were fully refunded (even on non-refundable ones.)  The terms of the contract have changed since you entered into it.  I'm not sure if Princess' fine print has changed in the last year, but my lawyer advised me to pursue it (thousands of $).  Unless expressly stated, it can't be unilaterally changed without your consent.  Read through all their pages to see.  Taking the FCC may be the easier way out.

Thanks for the heads-up.  Our transatlantic is not listed here: https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/vaccine-testing-requirements/voyages-with-enhanced-guidelines.html -- hopefully, it's not just "yet."  Do you think this is driven by one of the places you're visiting?

Except the cruise contract includes the language that Covid restrictions are subject to change at any time.  The termination dates of the covid protection plan was also stated, though many expected it to be extended again.

So on the contract language nor the covid protection plan the cruise line is pretty well covered.

Uncle Sugar, I’m so sorry this has happened to you. I’m also sorry that people keep telling you to ‘just get the booster’ when you made it clear you are not- it is a personal choice. Just today the Princess site deleted 2 pages of ‘enhanced cruises’ (requiring a booster) and now only show a few…The Princess reps I spoke with said ‘enhanced cruises’ included everything on this list, but maybe it changed today? Even after talking to several Princess reps, I find it impossible to know what’s going on…

9AF06EAE-678D-4E7D-8613-625343625FF7.thumb.png.5a5b6c0d2ce0df2a55517543c3a8d717.pngC162CFF3-42F9-49BD-8E85-43BA61D6B6D0.thumb.png.685245c0a5de28268d04d0028efbbf16.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2022 at 7:42 PM, Uncle Sugar said:

Check the enhanced voyages again, some have been eliminated.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Check the enhanced voyages again, some have been eliminated.

Almost all have been eliminated. Is this correct though? I thought one of the reasons for the enhanced guidelines was Canada’s insistence on pre- entry testing. Unless Canada has changed its position? All Canada voyages a have been removed from the enhanced guidelines. 

680C1C89-4EC9-405E-8E20-68CCFD51B45D.png