positives or negatives about NOLA hotels.

hoosier sailor

We love the Drury Inn on Poydras Street. It is about a 1.5 miles from the port.  It has a great breakfast, as well as an evening dining option included if you arrive early enough.  One of the great things about it is the parking.  They have an attached parking garage ($28 per night if I remember correctly) where you can park on the same floor as your room and enter the building from that level.  Most port area hotels you have to use valet parking that is much more expensive and not nearly as convenient.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Are you coming from the west? If I’m coming from the west and staying outside of New Orleans, I’ll just stay in South Baton Rouge. A little bit further of a drive but more hotels, food, shopping, and entertainment in the area.

I will be coming from the north. I am figuring I won't have much time for site seeing or anything, so I am heading to the hotel and then the next morning heading to the ship.

On 9/13/2022 at 7:32 PM, hoosier sailor said:

I am looking for a one night stay pre-cruise in the NOLA area. Can anyone tell me about some places to consider?  Right now, I am considering Fairfield Inn near LaPlace.   THANKS!!!!

We have stayed here twice, new in about 2017 or so, nice property, just not a lot of good food options in the area in our opinion.

Easy drive to port next morning.  I'll stay there again though when driving down On I-55

We always stay at the Hampton inn in the Quarter. There is parking at the Hilton Garden in for $15 a night which is across the street. There is also a spot hero lot 3 blocks away if in and out is important 

The Hampton is an easy walk to the quarter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the Bienville House in the French Quarter.  It is a small historic hotel that is very quaint, clean and reasonably priced (for NOLA) I would recommend an interior room as they are cheaper and quieter than the rooms with balconies.  We especially loved the courtyard with a charming pool. There is not an included breakfast but coffee/tea is served in the lobby.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had planned to stay at Omni but due to a huge convention in town, most of the hotels were sold out.  We took a chance (it was only 1 night and we are usually exhausted from travel, so if it's clean and quiet, we are happy) and booked Cambria in the warehouse district (we knew nothing about it). 

We were pleasantly surprised.  It's in a great location for walking around town.

It is a clean and quiet boutique hotel - really great staff.  

We walked to the French Quarter for dinner and then around the Riverwalk/port area. 

It only took us 10 - 15 minutes to walk to port the next morning.

We thought the price was great (but that might have been because we paid in advance (nonrefundable, through a 3rd party site).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 9:49 AM, RocketMan275 said:

I've decided to use my Chase points to stay at the Hyatt Regency for my March cruise on Breakaway.  Any comments on that hotel?

I have never stayed there, but I have been to many meetings, luncheons and events there.  It is a beautiful hotel in the common areas - very big.  

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 8:32 PM, hoosier sailor said:

Fairfield Inn near LaPlace

I'm wondering if you'd do better going more in the airport area vs near LaPlace, which is the opposite direction. If you could do an airport hotel that has a shuttle, then you could come back and grab a port shuttle from the airport the next day or whatever.

For me, I prefer staying in the city proper, especially in the French Quarter. It's worth spending a bit more to be able to walk everywhere and immerse myself in the area, even if only for a day. I stayed at the French Market Inn and found their room rates reasonable for the location and value.

11 hours ago, notscb said:

I'm wondering if you'd do better going more in the airport area vs near LaPlace, which is the opposite direction. If you could do an airport hotel that has a shuttle, then you could come back and grab a port shuttle from the airport the next day or whatever.

For me, I prefer staying in the city proper, especially in the French Quarter. It's worth spending a bit more to be able to walk everywhere and immerse myself in the area, even if only for a day. I stayed at the French Market Inn and found their room rates reasonable for the location and value.

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn in LaPlace and it was great. I got there around 5 pm and they had upgraded me to King Suite The only issue I had was driving into the pier, because traffic around the airport was ungodly!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 9:28 AM, hoosier sailor said:

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn in LaPlace and it was great. I got there around 5 pm and they had upgraded me to King Suite The only issue I had was driving into the pier, because traffic around the airport was ungodly!!

I live close to airport area and yes, theyre working on expanding the I10 for airport traffic, so its always a cluster :/. If someone doesnt want to stay downtown close to port area, Metairie hotels are closer and easy I10 access. 

2 hours ago, vickic233 said:

I live close to airport area and yes, theyre working on expanding the I10 for airport traffic, so its always a cluster :/. If someone doesnt want to stay downtown close to port area, Metairie hotels are closer and easy I10 access. 

I drive the Chicago area quite often and I think New Orleans (I-10) is worse.

• 9 months later...
On 12/18/2022 at 2:26 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

As a side note: if you happen to be there around Christmas you must walk through the lobby of the Hilton Roosevelt Hotel, it's amazing.  We stayed there last year for a couple of nights between Christmas and NYE.  

We will be there on Christmas eve/christmas Day. Do you know if things will be closed on Christmas Eve? Will we have trouble getting transportation either of those days (cab/uber/streetcar)?

16 minutes ago, chloes_mom said:

We will be there on Christmas eve/christmas Day. Do you know if things will be closed on Christmas Eve? Will we have trouble getting transportation either of those days (cab/uber/streetcar)?

No idea we were there the week between Christmas and New Years.  Being a tourist town I would doubt much will be closed.  I would suggest making restaurant reservations if there's someplace special you want to eat.  However, we found many places in the French Quarter didn't take RSVP's and it was first come first serve.