CocoCay Water Park Cost - $161?

rsteenblik

40 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Why wouldn't Royal charge whatever the market will bear -- they're not a charity, they're a for-profit corporation.   If they can get an extra $100K per day of pure profit by charging exorbitant amounts for cabanas and beach club admissions and beach beds and waterpark admissions, why not?

As a stockholder, I should say, "YES!  KEEP CHARGING!" but that's still outrageous.

4 hours ago, Toddcan said:

correct me if I am wrong, but Royal uses dynamic pricing for these things.  At first, costs are low, but as the supply dries up, prices are driven up automatically. There are exceptions like special sales, etc. 

So... a few people would have paid close to this price to drive it up so high. 

I don't think that is entirely the case. We have several cruises booked for the next year and the price varies from $80 to $150 depending on the cruise,

There are times when you go to CoCo Cay and you are 1 of 4000 passengers and other times you go and you are 1 of 10,000 passengers.

While there is probably some dynamic pricing factoring in, I think the price is probably mostly set to control demand at times when there are large numbers numbers of guests for a particular day.

So if Wonder is in port with another boat, expect the prices to be sky high for everything. 

• Like 1

Similar price for our Oasis cruise in March 2023.  I keep checking to see if it goes down at all but it barely budges.  Really hope as it gets closer that it drops, but it is an Ontario holiday so lots of kids on our ship (and there is one other ship in port with us).  Our kids will be quite disappointed if we don't purchase tickets but it's way too high.  Wish too that thye had an entry ticket where it let you in the area but you just san't go on the slides or water activities as DH and I would get that.

Edited by LuCruise

Agree with this.  I cruised in June with granddaughter (10) & son & there is no way I was using all those slides.  I went in the wave pool just to cool off.  But I still had to pay full price.  I did go out of the area to get lunch.  There isn't much to choose from in the water park & no ice cream.  We did get a good deal by waiting to get our tickets on Black Friday (like 50% cheaper).

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

As a stockholder, I should say, "YES!  KEEP CHARGING!" but that's still outrageous.

Why is it outrageous? RCI is only going to charge what the market will support. Obviously people are paying that price or it wouldn’t be that high. It's the same thing with the deluxe beverage package. Pre-COVID and as recently as last Fall, I would almost always pay no more than $60 per day. Now I am happy if I can get it for the low $70s per day. There is still a big demand for cruising, which is why at least in my experience prices are significantly higher for most packages, excursions, etc. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Why is it outrageous? RCI is only going to charge what the market will support. Obviously people are paying that price or it wouldn’t be that high. It's the same thing with the deluxe beverage package. Pre-COVID and as recently as last Fall, I would almost always pay no more than $60 per day. Now I am happy if I can get it for the low $70s per day. There is still a big demand for cruising, which is why at least in my experience prices are significantly higher for most packages, excursions, etc. 

The poster is making a subjective statement….outrageous in the sense that it is way too high for Mum2Mercury, and probably 90% of the people on this thread to be willing to pay. So what if Royal thinks it’s a good price? We’re not bound by that opinion any more than Royal is bound by ours. Just because a fool and his or her money are parted in buying a $3500 cabana doesn’t mean others can’t find it outrageous.  And don’t forget, as Royal apparently has, that every 3500 spent on a cabana is 3500 that doesn’t get spent on another cruise and all of the additional spending that comes with it. Royal is not a luxury line and doesn’t appeal to people with unlimited funds, which is why I laugh at their luxury pricing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vjmatty said:

The poster is making a subjective statement….outrageous in the sense that it is way too high for Mum2Mercury, and probably 90% of the people on this thread to be willing to pay. So what if Royal thinks it’s a good price? We’re not bound by that opinion any more than Royal is bound by ours. Just because a fool and his or her money are parted in buying a $3500 cabana doesn’t mean others can’t find it outrageous.  And don’t forget, as Royal apparently has, that every 3500 spent on a cabana is 3500 that doesn’t get spent on another cruise and all of the additional spending that comes with it. Royal is not a luxury line and doesn’t appeal to people with unlimited funds, which is why I laugh at their luxury pricing. 

I wouldn’t consider the prices they charge as luxury pricing. It’s just a sign of the times with everything going on with the economy today, not to mention inflation. Like I said previously they wouldn’t be charging these prices if people weren’t paying them. And if the prices RCI charges get too high for some people, there are other cruise lines that are more affordable. I also wouldn’t call someone a fool for spending $3500 on a cabana. If someone can easily afford to spend $3500 for a cabana, why are they a fool? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Similar price for our Oasis cruise in March 2023.  I keep checking to see if it goes down at all but it barely budges.  Really hope as it gets closer that it drops, but it is an Ontario holiday so lots of kids on our ship (and there is one other ship in port with us).  Our kids will be quite disappointed if we don't purchase tickets but it's way too high.  Wish too that thye had an entry ticket where it let you in the area but you just san't go on the slides or water activities as DH and I would get that.

LuCruise,  I'm on the same cruise. I talked with an RC rep and was told that you can get off the ship and enjoy Oasis Lagoon, Harbor Beach and Chill Island at no cost. Plus Chill Grill, Skipper's Grill and Captain Jack's. I thought she said Captain Jill's Galleon also. And yes, there are going to be a lot of people at CocoCay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Offer to take your kids to Michigan's Adventure next summer instead.  Tickets are $40 per person (as of this year, who knows what inflation will do to next year) and that includes all the roller coasters and other rides AND the water park, and the water park is way bigger than Coco Cay's and includes a lazy river, etc.  

Michigan's Adventure has been owned by the same company as Cedar Point for a couple decades now (it originally was family-owned, but the offspring didn't want to take it over, so sold it to Cedar Fair (which also owns Kings Island, Knotts Berry Farm, etc.), but unlike Cedar Point, the admission rate includes both parks AND is still reasonable.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

LuCruise,  I'm on the same cruise. I talked with an RC rep and was told that you can get off the ship and enjoy Oasis Lagoon, Harbor Beach and Chill Island at no cost. Plus Chill Grill, Skipper's Grill and Captain Jack's. I thought she said Captain Jill's Galleon also. And yes, there are going to be a lot of people at CocoCay.

But you can't go into the water park just to observe/supervise your kids, which is what @LuCruise meant.  

Yes, the big pool, all the beaches, the buffets and the Snack Shacks are free (food costs extra at Captain Jack's), as are the two kiddie areas (splash pad and Galleon)... but just to enter the water park you have to pay full admission price, even if you never get wet. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Offer to take your kids to Michigan's Adventure next summer instead.  Tickets are $40 per person (as of this year, who knows what inflation will do to next year) and that includes all the roller coasters and other rides AND the water park, and the water park is way bigger than Coco Cay's and includes a lazy river, etc.  

Michigan's Adventure has been owned by the same company as Cedar Point for a couple decades now (it originally was family-owned, but the offspring didn't want to take it over, so sold it to Cedar Fair (which also owns Kings Island, Knotts Berry Farm, etc.), but unlike Cedar Point, the admission rate includes both parks AND is still reasonable.  

I can't get prices for Cedar Point tickets because we are in HalloWeekends and those prices and season ticket prices only come up. But Michigan's Adventure is cheaper than Cedar Point prices.

21 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

I can't get prices for Cedar Point tickets because we are in HalloWeekends and those prices and season ticket prices only come up. But Michigan's Adventure is cheaper than Cedar Point prices.

Probably by almost half... even more so when you consider that the water park at Cedar Point is an additional cost, too!  

8 hours ago, LuCruise said:

I feel sorry for families with children who will want to go.

I certainly wouldn't pay these prices, but I don't have young children. I prefer the sea anyway to a pool.

I hope you get better prices before you travel 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

Yeah, at these prices, we'll stick to the pool and other areas.  We were able to go to CoCo Cay this past March and so they did get to go to the park then (which they loved!).  Paid a great price, and what was even better is that we were the only ship (Anthem) plus it was lower capacity, so no lines or crowding in the wave pool.  Makes it even harder to spend the $$$ at these prices since it will be way more crowded this time (assuming others actually purchase waterpark tickets)

7 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Just checked my prices.  Fingers crossed for Black Friday deals. Or I’m using the ships slides.  Lol.  No way I’m paying 133.00 for a few rides on a slide. 

Fingers and Toes crossed.  Hopefully the recent Labor Day "sale" wasn't any indication of Black Friday sale coming up as that had nothing.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ryano said:

Ridiculous.  That is over double the cost of most any water park in Fl, including Typhoon Lagoon at Disney. As long as people continue to pay these exorbitant prices, you cant fault RC for taking advantage of it though.

LOL - I live 20 minutes from Kings Island and get season passes each year - $110 pp unlimited visits that includes parking and admission to Halloween Haunt, Winterfest, and a great waterpark with multiple waterslides, lazy river, and a wave pool.  I realize not everyone is as fortunate to live close to a great park as I do, but those prices for Royal are ridiculous.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

Can't you just get a season pass for Cedar Point?  I buy a gold pass for Kings Island each year for $110 with an upgrade to platinum for an extra charge that includes CP . 

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I wouldn’t consider the prices they charge as luxury pricing. It’s just a sign of the times with everything going on with the economy today, not to mention inflation. Like I said previously they wouldn’t be charging these prices if people weren’t paying them. And if the prices RCI charges get too high for some people, there are other cruise lines that are more affordable. I also wouldn’t call someone a fool for spending $3500 on a cabana. If someone can easily afford to spend $3500 for a cabana, why are they a fool? 

Obviously people aren't paying, as cabanas have been empty on my last few sailings.....but in any event, you and I simply have a difference of opinion as to whether a price is outrageous, and a difference of opinion has no right or wrong answer.  Just like I happen to think Picasso's Guernica is an eyesore, others call it art.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mek said:

Can't you just get a season pass for Cedar Point?  I buy a gold pass for Kings Island each year for $110 with an upgrade to platinum for an extra charge that includes CP . 

Yes, you can purchase season passes now for Cedar Point. I was trying to find what a day pass cost that included the water park. Right now the gold pass is $125 and includes access to the water park for 2023. It also includes parking, but they took away early entry.

9 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Just stay on the ship and use the water slides there. You’ll have them all to your self.   Lol.   I’m on the wonder in Jan and I’ll be using the ships slides lol.   

The only problem with that is the water slides are frequently closed when the ship is at Coco Cay. There are plenty of things to do at Coco Cay that are free. I have been there 9 times this year and the only area that is consistently crowded is around the Oasis pool and the swim up bar. I have never had a problem finding multiple lounge chairs together around the island besides by the Oasis pool. The floating bar can get busy too, but I have never had to wait too long for a drink there.  

• Like 2

I had my first visit to Coco Cay a couple weeks ago, and I was thoroughly impressed. RCI did a great job building out the island. We had the water park passes, but I was fortunate to have purchased them last Black Friday and paid less than $30 pp. At that price, I didn't feel compelled to "get my money's worth" and was satisfied with 5 or 6 slide rides and some quality time by the wave pool. 

I would certainly include Coco Cay itineraries on future sailings, but wouldn't pay more than $50-$60 for the water park. $130+ is absolutely insane, and RCI is clearly taking advantage of pent up travel demand. Hey, if someone else will pay it, I hope they have a great time!

I did notice that the balloon didn't go up even once when we were there. I wondered if that was because of technical issues, or because the crazy pricing for that ride.

• Like 2