Is Carnival really going to….

TRAYSEE

3 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

Spirit class ships. We had one booked for Hawaii - Vancouver in April 2020. Too bad Covid cancelled that one.  😞

image.png.4028c2d8f55799cd3520768de8f1ea10.png

We had one for the Pride Baltic cruise to St Petersburg until Putin cancelled that one. But another one booked on a cruise next year 

On 9/15/2022 at 6:14 AM, shof515 said:

ive been on over 20+ cruises on multiple cruise lines and i never used room service. any i the only odd one? this room service change will have no effect on me

Nope.  Been on 45 cruises.  Used room service twice on my second cruise back in 1990, for breakfast before early excursions.  Haven't used it since.  I or my DH can get nourishment ourselves.

On 9/15/2022 at 10:40 AM, mz-s said:

It is not individually wrapped. It is a small pat of butter served in a small stainless steel sauce cup.

It tasted like butter to me. It did not taste like margarine. I like to think I can tell the difference.

Kept on a refrigerated plate.  But don't assume it's butter.  The sign could say cream cheese and if you're not fully awake you could accidentally pick the wrong condiment.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:19 AM, jsglow said:

Shaky, we've got a beloved 'bowling alley' on Pride in the Med next month.  On sea days, I might never leave! 😁

We have one on Legend next month for a partial Panama Canal cruise.

Laura

• Like 3

On 9/19/2022 at 11:55 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I think Royal is now charging $7.50 for room service.

Royal still has free continental breakfast.  All other room service has a $7.95 fee plus 18% gratuity.  Room service is free for full suites and includes orders from the MDR. That is for the complete order, not a la carte. They have a complete selection of hot breakfast items (eggs, bacon, sausage), for lunch and dinner there are salads, burgers, sandwiches, pasta, salmon, and desserts.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GaryWT said:

We would go to the buffet and bring food back to the room. 

NCL tried to prohibit that for a hot minute (forcing people to order room service, disguised as an effort to keep dirty dishes out the hallways) but it didn't go over well and they quickly rolled it back.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

I think it’s a supply issue.  I’ve seen different fries on each cruise since restart.  Some were good, others ok but not not horrible. 

But the original fries were fresh cut, right?  Admittedly I've had Guy's only twice I think since it replaced the generic Carnival grill.

So either there's a potato shortage (unlikely) or Carnival is so short-staffed they're paying more for frozen fries rather than having crew cut them fresh.

On 9/14/2022 at 9:40 PM, TRAYSEE said:

take away the FREE room service and make every cost $$$ at a la cart prices (with the exception of continental breakers still being free? 

Yep, as John Heald noted when this was announced, this is being done in part to cut down on food waste. People ordering a bunch of stuff and then just leaving at least half of the items uneaten outside their cabin door. We saw a bunch of that on the Mardi Gras this past March, entire meals, sandwiches, soups and more uneaten just sitting out there in the hallway.  If you're being charged for something to be brought to your cabin, you're less likely to 'just order stuff because I can.' 

As he and others have noted in this thread, it's easy enough to just go down to the deli, the buffet, the panini shop, the pizza joint and bring the food back to your cabin for free. I think it's a smart move to cut down on waste and all the trash that sits out in the hallway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest BasicSailor
6 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

As he and others have noted in this thread, it's easy enough to just go down to the deli, the buffet, the panini shop, the pizza joint and bring the food back to your cabin for free. I think it's a smart move to cut down on waste and all the trash that sits out in the hallway. 

But that's still not going to eliminate wasteful food left in the hallways. Perhaps a bit of exercise to retrieve it. They're just going to bring their own stacked food dishes to see what's eatable to them, then toss the rest out the door.

Edited by BasicSailor

On 9/19/2022 at 12:55 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I think Royal is now charging $7.50 for room service.

On 9/20/2022 at 6:01 PM, RoperDK said:

Royal still has free continental breakfast.  All other room service has a $7.95 fee plus 18% gratuity. They have a complete selection of hot breakfast items (eggs, bacon, sausage), for lunch and dinner there are salads, burgers, sandwiches, pasta, salmon, and desserts.  

Hi @ALWAYS CRUZIN & @RoperDK🙂

Yes, the room service selections on Royal Caribbean are certainly well worth the $7.95 fee plus 18% gratuity.

🍔🥓🥪🍕🍳🥩🍗🍝🌮🍇🍎🍌🍓🥐🥯🥞

Breakfast-Room-Service-Menu-on-the-Symph

All-Day-Room-Service-Menu-on-the-Symphon

🍔🥓🥪🍕🍳🥩🍗🍝🌮🍇🍎🍌🍓🥐🥯🥞

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2022 at 5:23 AM, CruizinSusan70 said:

Nope.  Been on 45 cruises.  Used room service twice on my second cruise back in 1990, for breakfast before early excursions.  Haven't used it since.  I or my DH can get nourishment ourselves.

While my husband and I can usually get nourishment for ourselves, I was grateful for the option (even with a charge) to have food delivered when my husband was miserably sea sick from extremely rough seas.  I did get from the buffet to bring back one time, but that was more challenging than I thought it would be.  Our room service food was hot and tasty.

I've been dealing with chronic pain for over a year, so  I'm glad it's still an option if there is a day when I'm just not up to leaving the cabin.

On 9/20/2022 at 10:30 AM, Laurab23 said:

We have one on Legend next month for a partial Panama Canal cruise.

Laura

We are sailing with you, but trying one of the 4K "interiors" for the first time.  Looking forward to trying some new ports 🙂 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 11:04 AM, pc_load_letter said:

Yup! And if breakfast, get up and make a plate. Buffet only really gets busy around 9am.

I guess my wife and I don't understand the desire to be in your room. I am paying to be on a cruise. If I wanted to sit in a hotel room I could do that at home.

Personally, I can't do a thing without gulping down at least two cups of coffee.  So, every morning I order coffee and toast without the hassle of showering and getting completely dressed.  When my wife is up and about, I'm ready to show myself and then we go to breakfast.  So, no, we don't spend the cruise in the cabin.  I do refuse to scare my fellow passengers with the way I look after climbing out of bed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/22/2022 at 5:31 AM, WheresWalter said:

Yep, as John Heald noted when this was announced, this is being done in part to cut down on food waste. People ordering a bunch of stuff and then just leaving at least half of the items uneaten outside their cabin door. We saw a bunch of that on the Mardi Gras this past March, entire meals, sandwiches, soups and more uneaten just sitting out there in the hallway.  If you're being charged for something to be brought to your cabin, you're less likely to 'just order stuff because I can.' 

I doubt this will make a dent into minimizing food waste.  Most guests choose room service over the buffet – which is a colossal source of food waste – and the MDR, in which its increasingly common for parties to order multiple appetizers, entrees & desserts, yielding plenty of discarded leftovers.  If Carnival was truly concerned about food waste, they’d reimagine the buffet to the Pig & Anchor concept – all-you-can-eat, but instead of serving yourself, the food is served to you on smaller plates.  It’s not a perfect solution, but it’s a strong determent to those who pile multiple plates high, and just pick at it.  Of course, that adds labor, which is most likely the opposite of what Carnival’s true intentions are 😊.

And yes, it’s “easy” to grab food at the buffet, etc., but it’s “easy” to grocery shop and stop at your local Chili’s or pizzeria, yet delivery services are exploding in popularity.  Grabbing grub from the buffet, bringing it back to your stateroom, preparing your stateroom to eat, etc. is a huge hassle and takes a lot of time – and by the time you eat, your food is at best lukewarm.  I’m on vacation – I’d rather get back from the pool/beach/etc., place an order for room service, take a shower and get dressed for the evening, and have my dinner ready for me – at a more proper temperature and with proper service items.

• Like 2