Port or Starboard side opinions

helene109

"Port" side doesn't mean that you will necessarily be facing the port, if that is what you are thinking.  It is really just the left side of the ship (when facing forward).  Whether you face the port or not depends on how the pilot orients the ship when docking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, helene109 said:

We almost always have Portside. Looking at a Celebration cruise for August and not many left. These are the ports. Thanks again!

C4B9BB1E-3965-4A25-A39D-C32B7754B078.jpeg

We just recently had the same question when booking our October 3rd cruise. We had to look at where we were going to be on Day 2 to figure out which way the boat was going to be facing on days 2 3 and 4, and then chose which side of the boat we wanted to be on based on which way we're going to be facing on what days. We opted for the sun to rise in our window on the first two days, and set in our window on the last 2 days. I was taught that the same number of letters are in port, as they are in left. Also starboard has an odd number of letters, and Port has an even number of letters. So that helps you figure out which side you're on

Edited by Dwright826
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, coffeeboy77 said:

Starboard side is generally the smoking side for the outdoor areas. Not a huge deal, but if you have a balcony above or below one of these areas you may notice the smoke, particularly while in port.  I prefer the port side.

This.  We always check to see where smoking is allowed on each ship we sail on, and take the other side.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never found cigarette smoke from the Lido deck smoking areas to be an issue on any of my Starboard balconies, (maybe because I have always been below Deck 9?).  It's the neighbours breaking the no-smoking-on-the-balcony rule that have been an issue for me several times.😡  And that can happen on both sides of the ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

This.  We always check to see where smoking is allowed on each ship we sail on, and take the other side.  

That's the only reason that makes any sense as far as which side of the ship to book.  There's no guarantee a ship will dock in a certain direction, it can change due to weather, or just the preference of different captains.  As far as facing the sunset..... unless it's a one-way cruise you'll have pretty much an equal opportunity to see sunsets on either side of the ship, just on different days.

• Like 1