Customs

Oceantides

On 9/16/2022 at 1:32 PM, Oceantides said:

Good day all Canadians.  
Can anyone tell me what customs is like when arriving back into the US from your cruise? How does the vaccine status come about? Before or after your cruise or both?   Thanks. 

A resident of Canada doesn’t have to deal with US Customs beyond showing your passport and answering a few questions.  Canadians deal with Canadian Customs upon re-entry to Canada.  If you are a Canadian, you have to complete ArriveCan. You will upload both your vaccination status and passport information into the app before entering Canada.

Your cruise ship policies will dictate how your vaccination information is revealed. Most cruise companies want to know your vaccination status.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Good day all Canadians.  
Can anyone tell me what customs is like when arriving back into the US from your cruise? How does the vaccine status come about? Before or after your cruise or both?   Thanks. 

Unless you are leaving things you bought in the USA  you just get passed through  once  they see your Canadain

I would think your Vaccine status might  be needed prior to boarding in a US Port

Where is the ship sailing from/to? that will make things different in some cases

Vaccination requirements vary from cruise line to cruise line. For example, Celebrity allows anyone to sail with them from the US and Europe regardless of their vaccination status. On the other hand, Disney Cruise Line continues to require all vaccine-eligible guests (based on US eligibility requirements) to be fully vaccinated. You'll need to check with your cruise line, and if vaccination is required, you will need to provide proof when you check in on embarkation day. 

Typically, CBP officers ask a couple of perfunctory questions and pass you through. If you have NEXUS or other status, you'll get through more quickly, but not at all ports.

Good day all Canadians.  

Vaccine status is important before you board as you will need to be sure that the destinations on your cruise accepts whatever status yours may be. In the absence of vaccinations some countries require a negative test, some countries like Bermuda for example, require a negative test and that you provide proof of your insurance coverage that includes covid. Some countries don’t accept passengers.  Cruise lines do provide tips and links to forms etc for various countries but they are not responsible for people who do not comply with specific country forms for admission. Or who send in the forms too late. Arrival back into the US ports, for Canadians, is usually pretty seamless, depending on your cruise line arrangements at the port. NCL has a fantastic electronic system based on your room key card that you also use to check out of the ship and through US customs. If you plan to stay in the US for a while after arrival you can bring the same allowances as US citizens, but you must declare whatever is brought into Canada. 

Good day all Canadians.  

If you are arriving back in the US then you have already gone through immigration to get into the country. You will have attested to vaccination requirements and registered your passport.

When getting off the ship you go through customs/immigration...they use face recognition now so they take your picture and as long as it matches your passport you will be allowed to re-enter. You may get questioned (only happened once to us) and if not you go on your way.

From my experience we flew out of Pearson and this was when we spoke to US border security/TSA. We sailed with princess and they have an app they had us fill in. At embarkation they looked at our passport and vaccination record. Getting off the ship in Fort Lauderdale there was no customs. We just headed to this big room and collected our bags. Back at Pearson we spoke to customs and they just wanted to know if we were bringing back more than our allotment. We weren’t and we made it through pretty quickly. They decided my nephew should get a random Covid test but I understand they’re doing away with that.

On 9/18/2022 at 10:28 AM, broberts said:

Be mindful of differences between US and Canadian customs rules. Good example are Cuban cigars. While legal to bring into Canada, they are illegal in the US and may be confiscated.

Do they check you when you get off  a cruise  ?

We have always just  gone through Immigration (a few questions) & on to the airport

1 hour ago, broberts said:

A few questions constitutes a check.

LOL

Citizenship ?    Canadian

Are you staying in the USA?   NO

Have a nice day   then we go out of the terminal with our bags  get a taxi to the airport 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

Just got off a ship in Brooklyn yesterday morning. Special line for Canadians in the cruise terminal. There were 2 of us 😁. Asked to pull down mask, stood in front of a camera (facial recognition I presume). Have a nice day. Didn’t ask to see anything. Easiest disembark ever!

Did you have to show your passport?

This  should make it faster to get out of the port 

54 minutes ago, waiting2retire said:

They glanced at to make sure I was Canadian, that’s all. 

The US government starting in July to deploy a facial recognition system at all the international airports and cruise ship terminals.   

For foreign travelers from what I have read it sounds like they store a scan of your passport page from the first time you enter the US.  Then they do the facial recognition against the stored image the next time you enter the US.   

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, em-sk said:

The US government starting in July to deploy a facial recognition system at all the international airports and cruise ship terminals.   

For foreign travelers from what I have read it sounds like they store a scan of your passport page from the first time you enter the US.  Then they do the facial recognition against the stored image the next time you enter the US.   

It's been available at some cruise ports much earlier than that. Last November in Port Everglades, this past June in Manhattan and this past Saturday in Brooklyn, we breezed through facial recognition in seconds without having to show anything, not even our passports. A GREAT system

On 9/25/2022 at 12:41 PM, waiting2retire said:

Just got off a ship in Brooklyn yesterday morning. Special line for Canadians in the cruise terminal. There were 2 of us 😁. Asked to pull down mask, stood in front of a camera (facial recognition I presume). Have a nice day. Didn’t ask to see anything. Easiest disembark ever!

You should try the Port of Vancouver then. They just collected our declaration card and waved us through. No questions, no dropping of the mask for a passport check. DW & I were confused as to what just happened. 😆

• Haha 2