Gala Nights

bethd

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Last month on our 14 day Oosterdam cruise we had 4.

That appears to be because it was also sold as 2 7 day cruises, B2B, which will have 2 Gala Nights per 7 days. On the other hand, a true 14 day cruise (not also sold as smaller cruises for a B2B) will typically have 3 Gala Nights.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

That appears to be because it was also sold as 2 7 day cruises, B2B, which will have 2 Gala Nights per 7 days. On the other hand, a true 14 day cruise (not also sold as smaller cruises for a B2B) will typically have 3 Gala Nights.

That was done well after we booked the cruise, we originally booked it as a 14-night cruise and for those of us on the 14-day cruise, it was not treated as a B2B cruise.  But what you are saying makes sense.  I will add the menus on all 4 Gala nights were nothing special and the traditional surf (lobster) and turf (filet) was not on one of them. The closest to "surf and turf" was a tenderloin with 2 small shrimp on top. If a few couples hadn't been wearing suits and evening gowns you would never have known, it was a Gala or dressy night.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

When we were on the Eurodam last month, I noticed that the term for the fancier nights has been changed to "Dressy."  No longer is "gala" used as the description.  I think they may be trying to hint at dressing "nicer" than the other nights.  Gala dress really doesn't mean dressy.  Hmmm.

2 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

When we were on the Eurodam last month, I noticed that the term for the fancier nights has been changed to "Dressy."  No longer is "gala" used as the description. 

I will still call them Gala! My thought is that Gala is fancier than Dressy. While Gala left more options open than Formal which in Shore Speak would be Black Tie (-ish). So just a continued lowering of expectations...

But who knows what "they" mean by it. We will continue with guayabera and sparkly top. Dark pants which we probably have been wearing all day. 

The menus look good! Thanks Collin!

16 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

When we were on the Eurodam last month, I noticed that the term for the fancier nights has been changed to "Dressy."  No longer is "gala" used as the description.  I think they may be trying to hint at dressing "nicer" than the other nights.  Gala dress really doesn't mean dressy.  Hmmm.

That was the same on the Oosterdam last month, the term Dressy was used in the daily program and in the Navigator app. I do not recall the word Gala ever being used. I wore button up short sleeve shirts on the nights with golf pants vs a polo or golf shirt on the non-Dressy nights with the same golf pants.

• Like 1

I have a 10 day cruise in January.  Will there be 2 or 3?  My husband wore a dark colored suit last time we sailed HAL and I wore two cocktail dresses I previously wore to weddings.  We were shocked at how many gentlemen wore tuxes.  Should he rent one for the cruise?  We love dressing up and want to come prepared.  I have no problem wearing a full length dress that I have collected from various NYE parties we've attended.  (Plus we wear a uniform to work so being able to get fancy is super fun and enjoyable for both of us).

25 minutes ago, Charlene1985 said:

I have a 10 day cruise in January.  Will there be 2 or 3?  My husband wore a dark colored suit last time we sailed HAL and I wore two cocktail dresses I previously wore to weddings.  We were shocked at how many gentlemen wore tuxes.  Should he rent one for the cruise?  We love dressing up and want to come prepared.  I have no problem wearing a full length dress that I have collected from various NYE parties we've attended.  (Plus we wear a uniform to work so being able to get fancy is super fun and enjoyable for both of us).

He certainly doesn't need the tux to meet the dress code. It's a matter of choice if he really wants to wear one to justify the cost. (Or if you want him to wear it to go with your gown?)

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 2:39 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m thinking there would be 3.  If you are close enough to the cruise to print your boarding pass it will be on there.

I'm sailing this upcoming Sunday and I got my boarding pass, but I couldn't find anything on it about gala nights/events etc.

Will this be available after I complete my health assignment? Or should I have already received such information by now?

1 hour ago, sofienummer said:

I'm sailing this upcoming Sunday and I got my boarding pass, but I couldn't find anything on it about gala nights/events etc.

Will this be available after I complete my health assignment? Or should I have already received such information by now?

HAL have obviously changed the information that is presented on the Boarding Pass.  When I look back at the Boarding Pass for our cruise in June it states on page 2, 'Number of Gala Nights = 2' .  For our cruise at the end of August, this information is not present.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

HAL have obviously changed the information that is presented on the Boarding Pass.  When I look back at the Boarding Pass for our cruise in June it states on page 2, 'Number of Gala Nights = 2' .  For our cruise at the end of August, this information is not present.

I agree.  I think it’s gone now.  They must have been getting some kind of grief with this info or maybe changes are on the way, or maybe nothing.  

• Like 1