Vantage Deluxe World Travel - WARNING

HumbleTraveler

On April 19, 2021, when my wife and I, along with six friends, booked rooms/suites on the Vantage Deluxe World Travel "Ocean Odyssey" for the "Pearls of Greece and the Dalmatian Coast" 16-day cruise from Athens, Greece to Zagreb, Croatia scheduled to depart on October 18, 2022, we had no way of knowing that the "M/S Ocean Odyssey" HAD NOT BEEN FULLY BUILT YET.

In order to get the lowest published price on our expected voyage, on April 15, 2021, my wife and I paid Vantage $13,368.00 for the October 2022 cruise (which along with prior loyalty credits and early purchase credits total $17,398.00). It was a HUGE mistake.

The M/S Ocean Odyssey was being built for Sunstone Ships by China Merchants Heavy Industry of Jiangsu, China. On or about May 12, 2022, China Merchants Heavy Industry "walked out of the contract" to build the M/S Ocean Odyssey according to Mr. Lund of Sunstone Ships. Calls and emails to Sunstone Ships regarding the status of the Ocean Odyssey were referred to Vantage Travel; However, Vantage Travel customer service agents refused to verify the location of the Ocean Odyssey whenever they were asked.

On September 7, 2022, a senior representative for the Norwegian designers of the Ocean Odyssey, Ulstein of Norway, stated that the ship was not yet completed, but that the "latest rumor from China is that the ship will be delivered by the end of September." If the "rumor" is true, that would leave about 16 days for the ship to transit the South China Sea, the Indian Ocean, the Suez Canal, reach Athens, undergo "sea trials," staff, and provision before departure on October 18th.

THAT WAS IMPOSSIBLE. Yet, we have heard NOTHING from Vantage. Vantage Travel knew or should have known that the ship would NEVER make its scheduled cruises in August, September, and October of 2022.

We have learned that on August 18, 2022, within days of a departure for the scheduled cruise on the M/S Ocean Odyssey, Vantage Travel announced to its customers without prior warning that, "Despite our very best efforts, the m/s [sic] Ocean Odyssey will need more time to come into service," and the cruise was cancelled while some customers were driving to the airport! Vantage went on to say, "Passengers affected by this delay will be automatically moved to the next available itinerary. Please visit "My Portfolio" for the latest trip updates."

This is a sham! If you go to the Vantage website, you will see that all the cruises for the M/S Ocean Odyssey are "SOLD OUT" through 2024!  For those of us who were scheduled to depart on the October 16, 2022, "Pearls of Greece..." cruise, the lack of communications from Vantage was staggering. No one answered the phone. If you did finally reach someone, they indicated that they would "send a message to management," and you never heard another word.

Vantage is not refunding fares as promised (read the reviews in TripAdvisor), but they are still pushing "room upgrades" for cruises they KNOW aren’t going to occur.

FINAL STRAW: On Monday, September 12, 2022, most of our travel companions who booked airfare through Vantage were notified by the airlines that their bookings had been cancelled by VANTAGE, and that the funds had been returned to VANTAGE, yet still no word from Vantage Travel itself.  Some of us finally received notification from Vantage that the cruise was cancelled around September 17th, 2022 – only about three weeks before departure.

FYI, as of the date of this review, the ship's AIS "Automated Identification System" still shows the M/S Ocean Odyssey moored dockside at the builder's yard in China. What a Joke!

PS: The picture of the M/S Ocean Odyssey supplied to Cruise Critic by Vantage is an artist's rendition. Not a photo of the vessel underway.

Let us know if you get your money back.  Who is your insurance carrier?  I am so disappointed in Vantage.  Would love to try these new ships BUT...I am not the company can be trusted.

Because of many other stories I've heard about Vantage's shady business practices, I wouldn't touch that company with a ten-foot pole. The only good thing from the O.P.'s point of view is that they're HQ'd in Massachusetts and can thus be sued in American courts. Before I retired, I practiced law in Massachusetts, and at least back then they had one of the toughest consumer protection laws in the country, allowing up to triple damages to be awarded in particularly outrageous cases. This might be one such case.

I was notified on August 4, 2022 to view an "update" to my Ocean Odyssey cruise departing September 2, 2022. The update indicated my cruise date had been moved to JULY 2024. No explanation. No apology. No considerations.They said I can't cancel. This cruise has been booked since 2019.

Just a few months earlier, I was notified that most of the shore excursions would be via Zodiac boats. This was a cruise around the British Isles--not the Arctic. This was unexpected and unwelcome for a 77 year old. 

Well checked my airline reservation Nov 5. Well American Airlines said contact travel agent to pay for trip???

I wrote Vantage travel of course nothing. Now today on my portfolio my acct number and reservation number has disappeared. Wow. 37 days to go 

not good

Just now, jimdee3636 said:

@DonnaMWThat's intolerable! I know you'll have your hands full in the weeks ahead dealing with Vantage (or trying to), but please let us know how it turns out. Your experience so far just conforms all the negative things I've heard about vantage in recent years.

Jim

Correction: "confirms all the negative things... (not "conforms"). Sorry.

I am having the same issue with the same voyage for the October 26th departure date.  I did research last week using cruise tracker sites and found out that the ship was still in China.  On Sunday, September 25 I emailed them to confirm that the trip was still on and they replied yet the trip was still scheduled for department. Two days later I go onto my portfolio and the trip was gone.  They canceled the trip with the same excuse as having delays due to Covid and supply chain issues.  On Monday, September 26 I even received notification that my travel documents were ready.  This is the 3rd time they canceled and they will not refund money.  They are literally stealing money from consumers.   This company needs to be shut down.  What they are doing to consumers is horrible and unacceptable.  There is a New York times article that states that there are currently over 600 cases against them filed with the Massachusetts attorney general.  

Ocean Odyssey Itinerary, Current Position, Ship Review _ CruiseMapper.pdf

• Like 1

To TWO TO TRAVEL of Jekyll Island, GA:  I can gift you the complete article if you wd like.  You wd hv to give me your email though cause private messaging is not allowed here.  Just write it out like John Doe 123 at aol dot com for example.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:39 PM, DonnaMW said:

Well checked my airline reservation Nov 5. Well American Airlines said contact travel agent to pay for trip???

I wrote Vantage travel of course nothing. Now today on my portfolio my acct number and reservation number has disappeared. Wow. 37 days to go 

not good

Hi Donna, any news on your flight or if your Nov 5 cruise is leaving as scheduled ? I checked Tracking websites as of today and it shows that Vantage ship Ocean Odyssey is STILL DOCKED IN CHINA SINCE SEPT. 15!   It’s troubling because by now it should have departed the shipyard in China, then gone maybe to Asia to pick up crew, then sail to the Mediterranean for hotel crew and supplies. This can take up to 2 months.  Only then can it travel to Greece so you can begin your cruise.  

Have tried to research why it’s still in China less than a month before a scheduled cruise and have found nothing,  Vantage should be advising you by now what the real status of your cruise and not wait till the very last minute as they seem to be in the habit of doing.   

Pls check ur online account at Vantage and call the airline for you flights.  If no info, call them and mention this information.  They likely think that the less their clients know, the better.  That is never the way to run a business responsibly or successfully.

Below are 2 screenshots from a tracking website with the info TODAY that Ocean Odyssey is still in China since Sept 15.  Haven’t seen any info on whether it has been delivered to the owner SunStone.  Vantage leases these ships from them for its cruises.

E7BCDD5C-C8E6-4DE8-8713-0B287F136770.jpeg

B9507F64-FA96-412C-90CE-E79B8C13800F.jpeg

I have checked airline today not paid yet. Also sent email to the sunstone company asking if ship delivered to vantage yet. No answer. 
means nothing but today portfolio says download your travel documents what a laugh. 
still waiting and I know what the ending is going to be. I would just love to make other arrangements for the month. 
heaven knows what date they will push it back again to

I spoke to them today- Nov 5 sailing on Ocean Odyssey is cancelled- they are not refunding money- We can rebook for another not similar trip in 2024 but those prices have gone up so they asked for more money. 26k gone- they told me to get a lawyer. This company is a scam- my MYVantage Account still says it is active and I can pay to upgrade cabin. This cruise is on the site- but stay on hold for the hours it took and you get the real story. WARNING!

• Like 2

Well lucky I do have outside insurance 

well just went into my acct.  I was to go Athens to Ammon 

surprise they transferred me to Dubai to Ammon. Not exactly what I booked and they of course are selling this trip thousands less.  

what a mess 

Well finaly after 3 phone calls and the chat which is useless.  I got it straightened out  Hopefully

Chat told me to wait for a call in the next couple weeks   No way

so finally I got the right department that found a cabin in my category for april.  Also Oct was

available.  Invoice will take a week normal  but price is guaranteed for me.

Fingers crossed she said ship to be delivered to them Oct 17   we will see again.

@DonnaMW Good that you were persistent in reaching someone!  I really hope I’m wrong but I’m surprised Vantage is still giving the Oct 17 date because the ship is still in  China right now.  Has NEVER been delivered to the owner SunStone.  The very first sailing was supposed to be in August, then September, and now October and November.  When will they admit that something is not right?  

Plus impossible to travel from China to Greece in 9 days!  That alone can take around 30 days, even more.  Not to mention so many other tasks needed before it can start cruising.  

LAFuncruiser said she was told her Nov 5 cruise was canceled.  Almost cruel for them not to be more honest with their loyal, paying passengers so they can decide what their next step should be, like call a lawyer maybe.

Really regretting giving them 30k of our money for the Bali to Singapore cruise in Feb 2023 on the Odyssey. Since we've had issues on every other Vantage trip should have known better. Other travel companies we use, Gate 1 and OAT have kept in contact via email with their clients about their struggles this year and always give an option to either get a refund (especially if you bought their insurance), or reschedule at a future date if they have to cancel a trip. 

To get around their no refunds because they say the trip is postponed, could we cancel now if we have the CFAR policy and get most of our money back?

Well lucky I do have outside insurance 

well just went into my acct.  I was to go Athens to Ammon 

surprise they transferred me to Dubai to Ammon. Not exactly what I booked and they of course are selling this trip thousands less.  

what a mess 

well I finally got an email after talking to them. I may have trouble. The conceige promised honoring my already paid monies on the April trip which of course was higher

this person wrote me and said two options. That trip I had no reason to take and then second choice credit towards another trip.  No every time they cancelled they honored my payment

well I guess I will wait to get new invoice and May flip out again.