Vantage Deluxe World Travel - WARNING

HumbleTraveler

Does anyone know how to get into the class action suit against Vantage? I went on a supposed Nassau to the Amazon cruise with them last fall, and they stopped the cruise in Belem, Brazil (instead of Manaus as advertized); never gave us prior notice, never told us why. Never could reach anyone by phone or e-mail. Finally got a notice that they were giving me a $1000 credit, which should have been a cash refund. I protested but was told a credit was all they would offer. I told them I never plan to travel with them again, and will tell everyone I know to avoid them too.
https://www.newsnationnow.com/travel/travelers-stranded-vacation-company-shuts-down/?fbclid=IwAR3Qd93H08kwvLQBmLv4bwqTcQh0iD_Tu1JwzvQTrU6XneT_WCTptAIptZ8

I know that passions are running high here [and with good reason], but having retired from an academic environment in which I was often "guilty until proven innocent" I must defend the American judicial rule.  Until a court decides on their guilt, do not sentence anyone to jail.

• Like 1

This is absolutely sickening.  He closes down the business, and goes on with his merry life.  He doesn’t care about us.  To him, it’s just business.  And every day that goes by it makes me even sicker.  We are OLD, 79 years old,  and will never spread able to recover from this loss.  

Jazzbeau, with all due respect, I get it.  BUT We have lost life savings.  HE took our money, gave us nothing in return for it, and now refuses to give it back to us.  I just can’t STAND it.  

And to close up shop with no explanation leaving thousands of people in the dark, and sadly not realizing their trips are canceled and their money is gone.  And the Mass AG taking credit for getting back 1.2 mill in refunds since January 2020 (maybe 75 customers in 3 1/2 years?) -- but doing nothing as a result of  the events that started to spiral in April 2023.

18 minutes ago, Lexie31 said:

This is a forum for victims, not law school. We are all livid with no one helping. Give us a break.

This is a social media website with certain legal liabilities.  I was given a warning for calling a different cruise line a 'Ponzi scheme'  The same guideline applies here.

This whole affair is Exhibit A for "Why travel insurance is necessary".

Corollary to Exhibit A:  Purchase third-party travel insurance, not from the tour company.  If they self-insure, then when they go down, your insurance goes down with them.

In a Ponzi scheme, don’t they take from the old and give to the new?  Or is it take from the new and give to the old?  In this vantage scheme, they take from the old, and they take from the new, and they give nothing back to anyone.  They keep it all for themselves. So what would you call that?

I call it theft.  
And this is really a terrible thing, and it changes the way you look at the world, and you don’t trust anyone anymore. 

I would say that folks who are in academia, think very differently from those of us, that actually have to produce stuff to make a living. I'm not only talking about working with your hands, but working with your brain as well. I've had the pleasure of getting two college degrees and owning two businesses.In 1992 I decided to close my business because of the amount of money that we were owed and could not collect. However, I  contacted every client that owed me money and said I would finish each and every job as per our agreed contract or verbal agreement on time, and for the cost agreed and as per the specs. Some of these projects were several hundred thousand dollars. That took six months. Everybody got what they had anticipated and I got my money. When we were done, I had more than one offer to hire me and my partner, because they knew we had integrity and morals. Mr. Lewis apparently lacks both of those characteristics, and we all know that if they were in a court of law with justification, he would definitely end up in jail and be destitute. But that's not how our system works within the legal system, and I have many lawyer relatives, who explain all the loopholes that have been built-in.

I support each, and everyone who has expressed their anger and hatred, for what is happening, and they certainly should not be chastised in any way. The law may never take  Vantage and Henry Louis to the dock. I hope he gets what he deserves. There are no excuses.

• Like 1

I understand the anger as I will be out $23k but I am tired of hearing about Ponzi schemes & all the ranting.  I am looking for constructive solutions, if there are any.  I bought independent insurance but I am sure they will find a technicality to deny payment.  I am moving on from this mess.  It does no good to dwell in misery.  I want to be happy for what remains of my life.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MOssyLedge said:

I would say that folks who are in academia, think very differently from those of us, that actually have to produce stuff to make a living. I'm not only talking about working with your hands, but working with your brain as well. I've had the pleasure of getting two college degrees and owning two businesses.In 1992 I decided to close my business because of the amount of money that we were owed and could not collect. However, I  contacted every client that owed me money and said I would finish each and every job as per our agreed contract or verbal agreement on time, and for the cost agreed and as per the specs. Some of these projects were several hundred thousand dollars. That took six months. Everybody got what they had anticipated and I got my money. When we were done, I had more than one offer to hire me and my partner, because they knew we had integrity and morals. Mr. Lewis apparently lacks both of those characteristics, and we all know that if they were in a court of law with justification, he would definitely end up in jail and be destitute. But that's not how our system works within the legal system, and I have many lawyer relatives, who explain all the loopholes that have been built-in.

I support each, and everyone who has expressed their anger and hatred, for what is happening, and they certainly should not be chastised in any way. The law may never take  Vantage and Henry Louis to the dock. I hope he gets what he deserves. There are no excuses.

Please do not say that those of us who worked in academia did not produce anything for a living.  I produced doctors, nurses, techincians, engineers, researchers, etc.  Heck, without your education you certainly would not be where you are today "producing something".

You many not realize that some could take that comment in a negative way.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

I didn’t mean to indicate that those who are in academia don’t produce valuable work for all of us to benefit from. My best friend, who I only know for 74 years, has spent his entire post graduate life in academia. He went on from going to New York City public schools and colleges to getting his PhD and is a world renowned scientist. I know all of the issues that are prevalent within the world of academia since I know him that long.

There just is a very different approach when you work with your head, and when you work with your hands.  Both are valuable. I started out as a registered architect, working on large projects and moved on to working with my hands in a woodworking shop, with another registered architect.  Both are of great value, but come to the world with a different mindset.

So I apologize to anyone who thinks that working with your head only is not as much value as working with your hands. Obviously, those who work with their heads are very talented and will be the saviors of our world in trying to achieve world peace, etc. Getting an education is the only thing that all the people in my neighborhood knew as their parents were all immigrants and we all went to college, and we all became professionals.

But what Henry Lewis has done is not something that many people can comprehend and condone. We cannot be angry at those of us who want him to get the justice that he deserves.

It is morals and integrity that count, not when do you use your head or your hands. One, without the other is of no value.

2 hours ago, MOssyLedge said:

I didn’t mean to indicate that those who are in academia don’t produce valuable work for all of us to benefit from. My best friend, who I only know for 74 years, has spent his entire post graduate life in academia. He went on from going to New York City public schools and colleges to getting his PhD and is a world renowned scientist. I know all of the issues that are prevalent within the world of academia since I know him that long.

There just is a very different approach when you work with your head, and when you work with your hands.  Both are valuable. I started out as a registered architect, working on large projects and moved on to working with my hands in a woodworking shop, with another registered architect.  Both are of great value, but come to the world with a different mindset.

So I apologize to anyone who thinks that working with your head only is not as much value as working with your hands. Obviously, those who work with their heads are very talented and will be the saviors of our world in trying to achieve world peace, etc. Getting an education is the only thing that all the people in my neighborhood knew as their parents were all immigrants and we all went to college, and we all became professionals.

But what Henry Lewis has done is not something that many people can comprehend and condone. We cannot be angry at those of us who want him to get the justice that he deserves.

It is morals and integrity that count, not when do you use your head or your hands. One, without the other is of no value.

Fair enought, @MOssyLedge.  Thanks for your reply.

I've spent almost 50 yrs now hearing things like "Those who can, do, those who cannot, teach", or "ohhhh, your JUST a teacher....", and your post struck a nerve.  I apologize for reacting to something that was not intended.

Oh, and I agree 1000%----what Henry Lewis has done is despicable. 

Edited by sharkster77

Sharkster-

Teachers provided the foundation for me for everything that I do. I can recite the names of each of my teachers from kindergarten through sixth grade inclusive. They were the foundation for everything that my friends and I have achieved in life. Many in my family are teachers as well in the public school system, private school system, and college system. So I don't have anything against teachers.

5 hours ago, NightFlight said:

I understand the anger as I will be out $23k but I am tired of hearing about Ponzi schemes & all the ranting.  I am looking for constructive solutions, if there are any.  I bought independent insurance but I am sure they will find a technicality to deny payment.  I am moving on from this mess.  It does no good to dwell in misery.  I want to be happy for what remains of my life.

Thank you for this perspective.  This thread is degenerating into a stream of rants and accusations with no constructive suggestions.  Since there are now 26 pages to wade through, I am closing this thread and starting a new one specifically for constructive discussion of how injured Vantage customers can help themselves.