Vantage Deluxe World Travel - WARNING

HumbleTraveler

I just checked, and these are the only reasons you can cancel your trip using Vantage's policy and get a refund:

• Sickness, injury, or death of traveler, travel companion, or family member
  • Quarantine, jury duty, court order to appear as witness for traveler or travel companion
  • Traveler or traveling companion’s place of employment damaged due to natural disaster, requiring traveler or travel companion to remain at work
  • Documented theft or loss of passport or visa
  • Job transfer
  • Documented traffic accident causing missed trip departure
  • Organized labor strike, bad weather, or mechanical breakdown of aircraft for 24 hours or more
  • Shutdown of airport or air traffic control system for 6 hours or more, preventing trip departure
  • Emergency military duty resulting from natural disaster for traveler or travel companion
  • Previously granted military leave revoked for traveler or travel companion
  • Job termination or layoff with employer

@twototravel Found this link to NY times article u were looking for.  No paywall.

https://www.tumsozluk.com/help-im-93-my-postponed-cruise-has-been-postponed-again-and-id-like-my-money-back/

If u got ur insurance from Vantage, there are numerous posts about bad experiences with this (can post a link here if u like or read BBB complaints).  The reasons you list above don’t sound like a CFAR policy so always best to read the policy for any insurance you buy and get only from reputable 3rd party with A rating from A.M.Best.  Never get from the tour operator itself.

Paying with credit card also gives added protection, you may be able to get some compensation from them for purchased services not rendered. 

So very sorry to hear this is happening to you and many others.

Here's what I hope is going to happen, and hope is all we have :). The Odyssey will be finished in the next month or so. Sea trials will occur, etc. etc. The ship will stay in Asia and commence the Asian cruises scheduled for 2023. As someone else mentioned, my cruise Bali-Singapore is also still being advertised; even made the Ways to Save reduced list (that make me mad when I paid full price). Vantage is even pushing me to give them more money to upgrade my cabin. NO way! 

Another option would be that Vantage leases another ship to keep to their current trips. This would be a big financial hit for them, but their reputation may survive.

• Like 1

@twototravel You have a wonderful, positive attitude and an excellent suggestion.  Yes Vantage can and should be actively looking for another cruise ship for your Feb 2023 cruise (not sure if that’s enough time but let’s hope so) or be honest enough to give you and others a full refund.

Why not try contacting the top executives of Vantage, this link from a well known consumer advocacy website has their names, direct email, etc.   If any of the info is not accurate, let me know.

Just be persistent and frank with them and tell them exactly what you need.  Keep copies and records of your  communications.  There’s nothing to lose.  

🔴 Vantage Travel company executives - https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/vantage-deluxe-world-travel/ 🔴

I would advise anyone else who has a similar problem or concern with this company do the same. Please post if you get any results good or bad, it will help others in a similar situation.  

Would also help if those of you similarly affected form a group, share experiences and contact them as a group.  Cruisecritic is great but doesn’t allow direct private messages, TripAdvisor does.  

Edited by fireworks1

On 10/10/2022 at 8:28 AM, twototravel said:

Here's what I hope is going to happen, and hope is all we have :). The Odyssey will be finished in the next month or so. Sea trials will occur, etc. etc. The ship will stay in Asia and commence the Asian cruises scheduled for 2023. As someone else mentioned, my cruise Bali-Singapore is also still being advertised; even made the 

Forgot to add, also contact your State’s Attorney General about this and see what they suggest.  

https://law.georgia.gov/contact-us

People used to contact Massachusetts AG where Vantage is based but apparently they have been asking people to file a complaint with their local state.

DC998DD3-C474-4554-B29B-744256DB0394.png

Okay. I sent an email to Delgado, Palmira <PDelgado-Brito@vantagetravel.com>; Rosen, David <DRosen@vantagetravel.com>; Lewis, Henry <HLewis@vantagetravel.com. Here's the text of my email:

"If your executive team is not following social media regarding your newest, not ready for passengers, ship, The Ocean Odyssey, they should. I am booked in February 2023 for the Bali to Singapore sailing. I am amazed that you are still asking if I want to pay you more money to upgrade my cabin, and have even added this trip to your Ways To Save section. I paid full price for my trip months ago and you have over $30,000 of my money. What all your future passengers see is that this ship is still in China and that you have "postponed" their cruises in the last several months, refusing to offer refunds. 

I think you owe everyone that has, or is currently booked on the Odyssey an email explaining the situation and what is being done to expedite the readiness of this ship. Is there a plan to temporarily lease another ship to fulfill your obligations to passengers that have given you thousands of dollars for their trip of a lifetime?

I would so appreciate a response from someone in management. Please don't refer me to one of your customer reps; I know more than they do."

Within an hour I received a response back from David Rosen. Here is his response:

"Thank you for reaching out to us. The ship has been delayed due to Covid based work stoppages in China. Last week we were informed the Odyssey will be turned over to Vantage and will set sail from the shipyard on October 19th. We plan to put her into active service in November so your Bali to Singapore dream journey will proceed as planned.

Until then we wish you good health and look forward to welcoming you onboard in February.

Kind regards, 

David 

David Rosen

VP – Sales & Concierge Services"

@twototravelThanks for sharing!  I thought you wrote a very good email, but what do think about his reply?  I’m not in your situation but IMHO it sounds like a form letter drafted by Legal.  But I do hope this is the honest truth about the situation and because your travel date is next year, there will be zero problems then.

It  would have been nice if he acknowledged that they were aware of the problems posted online and elsewhere and at least given some sort of explanation or apology for their inaction, but there was not a single word.

Maybe he should explain what “the ship will be put into active service?”  exactly means.  He didn’t say “it will be ready to embark on its first cruise on this date and at this port for this voyage.”  When will they announce this on their website or give advance notice to individuals passengers already affected?  There have been so many complaints posted about these last minute cancellations with only vague reasons given.  

You should not be learning about these from many complaints on social media, the BBB, NY Times and other articles.  What is the definite first Vantage Travel cruise that Ocean Odyssey will sail,  from what port and on what date?  There should be no moving targets anymore.

Hopefully other posters with closer upcoming cruise dates would also write.

On 10/6/2022 at 11:56 PM, LAFUNCruiser said:

I spoke to them today- Nov 5 sailing on Ocean Odyssey is cancelled- they are not refunding money- We can rebook for another not similar trip in 2024 but those prices have gone up so they asked for more money.

Hi, please see the recent POST #32 above quoting the email sent by @twototravel directly to executives of Vantage and the reply given.  Interesting in the light of your experience where you were told your upcoming November 5 cruise was canceled, when they were still advertising it on their website.

If you’d like, suggest you write to then to confirm if your cruise is canceled or not.   Their email reply above gave a positive update but nothing very specific.  Maybe they can now tell you in light of developments they mention what  the definite first cruise Ocean Odyssey will be sailing, on what date, from which port, and finally which Vantage cruise tour.  They should be advising each customer of such cancellations way in advance and update their website accordingly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: They moved us to the end of Nov. Dubai cruise and tried to get us to give them more money. This is not exactly what we signed up for- Athens in November to dodging pirates in the Arabian Sea in Dec? Not to mention the impossible changes to my work schedule. But none of that matters because it is all a scam anyway. They  might as well have told us we are sailing to the moon.
They know it is not sailing. It is still in China and cannot make it to Dubai on time. It is interesting how the boat is now the “MS” Ocean Odyssey with no reviews on this site. My yelp review was reported and removed. They are -once again-still selling upgrades and tickets for a cruise that does not exist. They took my senior mother’s 26k including $3200 for a bogus insurance policy for a Nov5 cruise that did not exist and they knew it. AND THEY    TOLD HER TO WIRE THE MONEY- NO CREDIT CARD!!!!!! Just an FYI- We just booked this a few weeks ago in mid September 2022. This was not a credit or a rollover. It was a brand new booking. We only found out it didn’t exist through blind luck when we called the airline to change our seat. The airline did not know what we were talking about. Then my Mom waited on hold for four hours just to be lied to by Vantage.  They tried to sell her a more expensive trip in 2024. I called and waited on hold for two hours and let Mom talk. Same story- send more money. When they heard me on the line- they changed their tune. There was no cruise, they will not refund, get a lawyer.  I asked about any other cruise in 2022 and she said there was nothing. She also said the April 2023 Athens cruise was booked. (she had previously told me there was no April cruise but she had mentioned it to my Mom so now it was booked?) Two days later we were shifted to the 2022 Dubai cruise that miraculously appeared in our MYVantage site and on their website.  They knowingly stole her money and will not give it back. They are still saying the Nov 17th and Nov 30th  Dubai will sail but  you can check berths in the ports and they are not reserved so they will have nowhere to dock. No airline tickets have been issued and the boat is 6627 NM away from Dubai and there is no way it will make it. Total scam- we do have two policies- Allianz and Vantage. Allianz ($400) is basically medical so we can’t get our money back but The Vantage policy ($2800) is another scam. They lie when you call them . Despicable. I attached the screenshot of their website advertising the cruise AFTER they told us it was cancelled. SCAM! Takes screenshots of their site- they change it often to match their lies. 

B4B3AB4F-510B-453E-A939-097490222C34.png

Edited by LAFUNCruiser
Correction

Ocean Odyssey has made it to Manila! Hoping they are picking up crew and will make their way to wherever the inaugural cruise will be. Ours is in Feb so we feel confident all will be well. Sorry to read all these horror stories. While Vantage does control their communications with customers, publicity and news releases (which all have been sorely lacking regarding this ship), getting it released from China was out of their control and I'm positive Chinese COVID restrictions didn't help, on top of all the supply issues. I'm looking forward to seeing some good news from travelers on the Ocean Explorer and the Odyssey.

On 10/30/2022 at 7:02 PM, 2SailingNomads said:

I would not go near this company from all the above.  Despite my never contacting them I get emails everyday day from them.  Wasting time sending them to me.  So many options why risk your money with this company?

We've taken 4 trips with Vantage - 3 river cruises and one land tour (including one twice postponed due to COVID) and have enjoyed them all.  Yes, I'll agree that they send out way too many mailers, but, the trips were worth it.  We have a small ship cruise booked next year with Vantage.

Edited by Shmoo here

We booked the Nov 17, 2023 Amman to Dubai cruise on the Ocean Odyssey as a last minute cruise for a price discounted by 75% off original price with free air.  It looks like this may be the very first inaugural voyage of the ship.  We have received the folder with the luggage tags, name badges and other docs about a week ago. They have upgraded us to a cabin $1400 more in value than the lowest price cabin we had booked.  Our air is still confirmed and seats assigned so it looks like this will be the first cruise of this ship that actually happens and we feel extremely lucky because I just found this thread today and we would have been freaking out if we had found it earlier. My heart goes out to all of you that have either been cancelled, mislead or paid full price and can’t get your money back.  Based on this thread we will only book last minute discounted vantage tour because anything else sounds very risky.  Thanks for the heads up about these terrible business actions by Vantage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twototravel said:

@cruise-a-lot Did you mean Nov 17 2022? That very well could be their first official cruise. Not sure how long it will take them to get there from their current position. I've been following the ship on cruisemapper since it left China. Our cruise is in Feb 2023 out of Bali.

5 minutes ago, twototravel said:

@souschefYour cruise is probably the next one after ours. We disembark in Singapore on 9 March. We are booked in cabin 612. What's yours? Getting excited.

Actually I put the wrong year as we are leaving Nov 17, 2022 not 2023 so we are just 10 days from leaving.  I will post a review.

4 hours ago, twototravel said:

@cruise-a-lot Did you mean Nov 17 2022? That very well could be their first official cruise. Not sure how long it will take them to get there from their current position. I've been following the ship on cruisemapper since it left China. Our cruise is in Feb 2023 out of Bali.

Yes it’s cruising to Jordan where we depart from and is moving in that direction according to cruise mapper

If anyone actually gets on the Odyssey and completes a trip, please post about your experience.  We are supposed to be on the British Isles trip in August, 2023.  I currently only have the deposit down.  I am skeptical at this point after reading about these issues.  Fortunately, I haven't paid in full yet.

16 hours ago, sanluisobispotraveler said:

@cruise-a-lot Congratulations!  It looks like your trip is on.  Is there any way you could post again from the ship to verify?   I have to pay in full by the end of November for a cruise in 2023, and I would love some reassurances from someone who has actually stepped on the Ocean Odyssey.

Yes I will try to post once on board

16 hours ago, sanluisobispotraveler said:

@cruise-a-lot Congratulations!  It looks like your trip is on.  Is there any way you could post again from the ship to verify?   I have to pay in full by the end of November for a cruise in 2023, and I would love some reassurances from someone who has actually stepped on the Ocean Odyssey.

I hope it will also help relieve your stress to know we have received the welcome letter this week from the on ship tour manager and concierge giving us specific instructions that only gets sent out if the tour is a good to go.

• Like 1