Winter 2024/25 on sale dates

molecrochip

11 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Two questions here!  I can't see the 2025 Aurora South America/Amazon cruise on the P&O site, any idea where it's hiding?

My husband wants to see a wild polar bear(!!) and apparently one or two P&O cruises may offer the opportunity.  Anyone got an idea which itineraries I should be looking at please?

Thank you.

The cruise is on the P&O web site under Caribbean. Svalbard is one place to see Polar bears, not sure if P&O go there, Canada too but unlikely on a P&O cruise.

image.thumb.png.1f954cddae335a75f2e9c8e053188211.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Two questions here!  I can't see the 2025 Aurora South America/Amazon cruise on the P&O site, any idea where it's hiding?

My husband wants to see a wild polar bear(!!) and apparently one or two P&O cruises may offer the opportunity.  Anyone got an idea which itineraries I should be looking at please?

Thank you.

Svalbard - I saw a few there - that was on Fred Olsen.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Thanks - any idea why we can’t do this direct ? Myself I mean ?

If you have been on the ship before P&O will give you the same cabin or close. If you haven't but prebook by phone they will take your preferences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulatsea said:

Svalbard - I saw a few there - that was on Fred Olsen.

I have investigated!  Is Spitzbergen the correct place in Norway? I've found a couple of Fred cruises to there but it means leaving from Scotland on Balmoral.  I'll no doubt regret it but there appears to be a couple of Princess ones from Southampton next year which state Spitzbergen.  

The Fred one is around £6500 for a window, couldn't stretch to a balcony, the Princess ones cheaper. Nearly fell of my chair looking at Hurtigruten and Saga ...

Nothing on P&O goes near as you say sadly. Pippaluck better be worth it!

Britannia TA October 2024 is more than £500 pp more than we paid for this 2022 version same cabin which we also booked on opening day. I think prices have risen considerably and for me we are in a world currently of waiting for last minute price drops.

• Like 1

Pre registered for the Jan 25 Iona, 35 nights to the Caribbean. Our lovely independent TA, has got a small list of balcony cabins we will be happy with and will confirm on 3rd November.

We have decided no more flying for us, so this cruise enables us to visit the Caribbean again. Love the sea days, so all boxes, for us, are ticked.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I have investigated!  Is Spitzbergen the correct place in Norway? I've found a couple of Fred cruises to there but it means leaving from Scotland on Balmoral.  I'll no doubt regret it but there appears to be a couple of Princess ones from Southampton next year which state Spitzbergen.  

The Fred one is around £6500 for a window, couldn't stretch to a balcony, the Princess ones cheaper. Nearly fell of my chair looking at Hurtigruten and Saga ...

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes Spitsbergen is correct - or anywhere in Svalbard area is where the bears live ! 
We had an armed guard on the excursions in case we were attacked.

We paid about £2500 pp but that was about 10 years ago. Fantastic place and great stops on the way up. top of the world.we went in June/July from Liverpool.

Somewhat underwhelming offering overall.  However,  we're going to go for Ventura's 35 night caribbean taking in New Orleans, Port Canaveral, Miami etc.

Not fussed about location, so will we are on Iona next month and book then to get the extra OBC and £50 deposit.  In the event that the price reduces we're prepared to lose the deposit and re-book.

Would have given Aurora's Amazon trip more consideration if she had been sailing further to the likes of Montevideo and Rio.  Another time, or cruise line....

Might watch out for big reductions on the Caribbean and Canaries re-positioning cruises in due course.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Yes Spitsbergen is correct - or anywhere in Svalbard area is where the bears live ! 

We paid about £2500 pp but that was about 10 years ago. Fantastic place and great stops on the way up. top of the world.we went in June/July from Liverpool.

But you might not see any bears - not guaranteed- we saw lots of whales. It’s worth going anyway if you can - very special and remote and beautiful.

8 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

But you might not see any bears - not guaranteed- we saw lots of whales. It’s worth going anyway if you can - very special and remote and beautiful.

Always the case, worth googling to find best time to go to increase chances of seeing bears. I will be taking my running shoes, my missis said I wouldn't be able to outrun a bear, I pointed out that didn't matter as long as I could outrun her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Went to Spitzbergen last on Oriana final cruise so P&O go (or went) occasionally. No bears though - just whales, wild reindeer, puffins etc. The locals are armed and ready, even when shopping though!

0589 Local with rifle.jpg

• Like 2

Whales will be good too.  Loved whale watching in California.  Been doing a bit of research into Churchill in Canada but think that Pippaluck is most definite not going to happen there. More or less guaranteed to see him but at £20,000 for 10 days he will have to wait for me to win the lottery.

Looks like P&O is sadly no longer interested in that part of the world so it's a hike to Rosyth from Salisbury for Balmoral or a hop skip and a jump to Southampton but on Island Princess.  I can’t see any mention of whales and bears with Princess though.  Looks like May to August is best for possible bear sightings just need to find a tour from the ship.

Looking at Hattie's photo looks like I'm in the right place!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, paulatsea said:

We went Svalbard some years ago on Aurora to NY Alesund which is a very small village with a lot of countries research stations there. Think if my memory serves me right it was in June and there was snow on the ground and blocks of ice floating in the sea. They specially opened a small museum and the shop/post office just for the ship. I was lucky enough to have 2 photographs taken there accepted and printed in the calendar given out by P&O that year.

• Like 3

We went in June 2017 Balmoral.

all the guides and guards we had were Russians - and very good - so I don’t know if that may affect any excursions etc.

Thank you all.  It's quite exciting.  I can't find Fred's excursion list but Princess have a very thorough list here:

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details/?voyageCode=2313

How do you experts who've been think these would work?  Would any of them offer the opportunity to see the whales, puffins and hopefully bears?  

I've read the CC Destinations section on the area and they say might see the bears floating around on ice!  

I know absolutely nothing about the region I'm afraid.  I take it the Aurora 21 day cruises don't go far enough north?  I've found three possibles with Ambassador, two with Princess and 2 with Fred.  Any advice on other ports that make a good itinerary much appreciated- there's a big difference in Fred and the other two but it might be far superior itinerary for all I know.

Appreciate I'm wandering from P&O as they don't seem to go there at present but these are sample itineraries on Fred, the Princess one is above:

https://www.fredolsencruises.com/cruise/exploring-the-arctic-t2316

https://www.fredolsencruises.com/cruise/spitsbergen-with-the-midnight-sun-l2317

As this is a bit of a one off for us - I'm not a fan of cold weather normally - all help much appreciated.  Luckily I have piles of ski wear which looking at this I think I might need.

Edited by Megabear2

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you all.  It's quite exciting.  I can't find Fred's excursion list but Princess have a very thorough list here:

How do you experts who've been think these would work?  Would any of them offer the opportunity to see the whales, puffins and hopefully bears?  

I've read the CC Destinations section on the area and they say might see the bears floating around on ice!  

I know absolutely nothing about the region I'm afraid.  I take it the Aurora 21 day cruises don't go far enough north?  I've found three possibles with Ambassador, two with Princess and 2 with Fred.  Any advice on other ports that make a good itinerary much appreciated- there's a big difference in Fred and the other two but it might be far superior itinerary for all I know.

Appreciate I'm wandering from P&O as they don't seem to go there at present but these are sample itineraries on Fred, the Princess one is above:

As this is a bit of a one off for us - I'm not a fan of cold weather normally - all help much appreciated.  Luckily I have piles of ski wear which looking at this I think I might need.

We saw whales and other unusual sea things that I can’t remember the names of ! from the ship. And loads of birds.
The captain would tell everyone where to look as soon as the bridge had spotted them.

most days we saw something especially once past the arctic circle.

we saw a polar bear once on the ice from the ship.

I think it’s very unlikely you will see one close up as if they are spotted approaching they are chased away for safety reasons.

when we tendered at Svalbard we had to wait on the tender for 30 minutes with armed guards as a bear had been spotted !
So the guides and guards make sure you are nowhere near any of them.

at least 50% on board guests were wildlife enthusiasts with expensive cameras and red arctic jackets ! Expert Guests speakers / guides also on board.

it was unusually warm when we were there - actually above zero.

I think most cruises stop at the same places on the way up depending on ship size - smaller is better - I remember north cape being very interesting.

if you are going up that way I think it’s best to go all the way to Svalbard rather than just the very north of Norway.

if I remember anything else relevant I will post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

If you could find one going to Greenland you will be guaranteed whales. We could almost touch them. Also Puffins and icebergs. Greenland and Svalbard would be the dream ticket. If you find one let me know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, paulatsea said:

I think it’s very unlikely you will see one close up as if they are spotted approaching they are chased away for safety reasons

Down here in Salisbury we had a young lad die from a polar bear attack on land. Certainly don't want to get up close with one as a result although I did meet Klondyke the polar bear cub at Sea World many years ago.  Understand he's now an enormous creature kept far from the public.

My husband has been watching videos of Churchill in Canada where the bears get up.on two paws and look through the window of a tractor you sit inside!  I'm doing more research for Greenland as suggested by Happy V, you can never tell.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Down here in Salisbury we had a young lad die from a polar bear attack on land. Certainly don't want to get up close with one as a result although I did meet Klondyke the polar bear cub at Sea World many years ago.  Understand he's now an enormous creature kept far from the public.

My husband has been watching videos of Churchill in Canada where the bears get up.on two paws and look through the window of a tractor you sit inside!  I'm doing more research for Greenland as suggested by Happy V, you can never tell.

There is a good Michael Portilo great American rail journey one on BBC. The polar bears didn't eat him.😮💨

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

We went to Greenland in July, we went up to Disco bay on the west coast. I was talking to a man in one of the museums and asked about Polar bears, he said they do not travel so far south although a few sightings had been claimed. I don't know if more northerly destinations are available by sea, maybe one of the small exploratory ships, but big bucks. Below are a couple of sites that may whet your appetite, seeing any creature in the wild far outweighs tv programmes or videos and zoo's etc. I have seen thousands of dolphins around the world including a super-pod but still got a thrill watching them a couple of weeks ago across the bay of Biscay.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/videos/a-village-in-greenland-and-its-growing-threats-from-polar-bears

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/a-clever-population-of-polar-bears-survives-on-glacial-ice-in-greenland-180980280/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

There is a good Michael Portilo great American rail journey one on BBC. The polar bears didn't eat him.😮💨

Second thoughts. It may have been Griff Rhys Jones on his trip across Canada.

41 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Second thoughts. It may have been Griff Rhys Jones on his trip across Canada.

I'm searching for the film as we speak ... after young Horatio's experience I definitely won't be camping in the arctic wilderness though.  Mind you my poor old bones probably wouldn't tempt Pippaluck too much but he would no doubt love my excess blubber.

48 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We went to Greenland in July, we went up to Disco bay on the west coast. I was talking to a man in one of the museums and asked about Polar bears, he said they do not travel so far south although a few sightings had been claimed. I don't know if more northerly destinations are available by sea, maybe one of the small exploratory ships, but big bucks. Below are a couple of sites that may whet your appetite, seeing any creature in the wild far outweighs tv programmes or videos and zoo's etc. I have seen thousands of dolphins around the world including a super-pod but still got a thrill watching them a couple of weeks ago across the bay of Biscay.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/videos/a-village-in-greenland-and-its-growing-threats-from-polar-bears

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/a-clever-population-of-polar-bears-survives-on-glacial-ice-in-greenland-180980280/

Thank you.  Fascinating to see how some of them have adapted.  I will continue my search for a suitable trip.  I note there are a couple of new entrants in the expedition market so will take a look there as well.

Looking at the Fred and Princess itineraries I assume Fred's will offer more rare sighting.  I'm just a bit worried with him cancelling and laying up ships at short notice - reading into it Hurtigruten has also been a bit dodgy in that respect.

Still certainly someone a bit more exciting than an Iona mystery trip up the fjords!