Travel mate sick-last minute!

Crusin Karen

54 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

My sister in law and I are cruising Saturday.  She just told me she's very sick-stomach as well as cough, sneezing etc.  Obviously can't go!  What do I do when I check in?  

Hey Karry! I would do nothing. If they ask, tell them she's coming later. Her port taxes and fees will be refunded to the card she used. Hope she has insurance to recover the rest. 😎

• Like 2

Thanks Jamman!  I'm upset!!  First cruise without Jim and his sister said she'd join me.  I did insist on cruise insurance.  It's only her 2nd cruise-first was 11 years ago  so she's a newbie lol.  Feel bad for her.  I'm kind of nervous too but I will go to guest relations and tell them situation.  I contacted special needs-they said they'd get back to me in 7 days!!!😑🤔

• Like 1

If your SIL cancels and files a claim for a covered reason, Carnival "May" and is in it's right, to compel you to pay the "Single Supplement".

However, you then have the ability to be reimbursed from your travel insurance company for said single supplement that you may have to pay due to your cruise companions covered illness.

It's a little ( okay, a lot) convoluted but that is what you may find.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Thanks Jamman!  I'm upset!!  First cruise without Jim and his sister said she'd join me.  I did insist on cruise insurance.  It's only her 2nd cruise-first was 11 years ago  so she's a newbie lol.  Feel bad for her.  I'm kind of nervous too but I will go to guest relations and tell them situation.  I contacted special needs-they said they'd get back to me in 7 days!!!😑🤔

If you've told Carnival they're not coming they will not have the port fees and taxes paid retuned to them.

Edited by sanmarcosman

Unless she has been told by a physician that she cannot go, she will not be covered under the insurance.  Best course of action is to say nothing to anyone and her port fees and taxes will be automatically refunded to her original form of payment.  If you go to GS or tell them at the port that she is not coming, they will refund her prepaids but they will also charge you the single supplement.

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

I was just on CCL website with my info.  It says all guests must arrive at same time.  What's going to happen?  Will they hold me up unless I tell them she's not coming?

They won't hold you up. You simply don't need to tell anyone anything. They will count her as a no show. Port and taxes refunded. She can file insurance after the cruise leaves but it depends on what proof they ask for.

Edited by starstruck05
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

They won't hold you up. You simply don't need to tell anyone anything. They will count her as a no show. Port and taxes refunded. She can file insurance after the cruise leaves but it depends on what proof they ask for.

Thank you!!!!!  STRESS lol!!!!  😩🥺🥴

5 hours ago, klfrodo said:

However, you then have the ability to be reimbursed from your travel insurance company for said single supplement that you may have to pay due to your cruise companions covered illness.

Only if OP's travel insurance specifically covers the single supplement when roommate cancels for a covered reason. Not all travel insurance covers this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Only if OP's travel insurance specifically covers the single supplement when roommate cancels for a covered reason. Not all travel insurance covers this.

But the cruise has already been paid for two, the insurance company should reimburse the ill passenger, and then everyone is made whole. Why should the OP have to pay the single supplement when the cruise line gets to keep both fares?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, klfrodo said:

If your SIL cancels and files a claim for a covered reason, Carnival "May" and is in it's right, to compel you to pay the "Single Supplement".

No.  Only if Carnival refunded the roommate's fare or gave her FCC would Carnival have a basis for charging the single supplement.  Otherwise Carnival still keeps the roommate's fare and remains whole.  It's the insurance company, not Carnival, reimbursing roommate for the cruise fare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

But the cruise has already been paid for two, the insurance company should reimburse the ill passenger, and then everyone is made whole. Why should the OP have to pay the single supplement when the cruise line gets to keep both fares?

Never thought of it that way.  Plus we have CCL vacation protection so they got that too.  And steakhouse reservations which I'm sure they are not going to refund. And pre paid tips. 

8 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

See my next post. I should have posted that in conjunction with this.  I intended for my point to be that not all insurance covers the single supplement if roommate cancels.

Carnival remains whole unless they refund or give FCC to roommate as a goodwill gesture. Only in that case would Carnival have a basis to charge the single supplement. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Never thought of it that way.  Plus we have CCL vacation protection so they got that too.  And steakhouse reservations which I'm sure they are not going to refund. And pre paid tips. 

If she gets a doctors note and cancels, all onboard charges, taxes, and port fees should be refunded by carnival. She needs to contact her insurance company to find out her next step. I don’t know if insurance will pay if she’s a no show.

43 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Don't try to bring common sense into a convoluted corporation.

You're talking about 5 different organizations who don't talk within the same huge umbrella.

1 hour ago, Crusin Karen said:

Pretty sure the Steakhouse reservations can be cancelled prior to the cruise. Up to 24 hours?

Aren’t prepaid tips refunded with port fees and taxes?

Edited by mondello
Add

7 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

but they will also charge you the single supplement.

If the cruise was already paid in full by both and one doesn't show up day of,  I don't see why they'd suddenly up-charge for single supplement. It's not like the second traveler is going to be refunded their money at that point.

If anything, I'd think OP's +1 would want to get a covid test to see if they have it. If they do and notify carnival within 24 hours of the result, they could get a FCC according to Carniva's guidelines.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

If she gets a doctors note and cancels, all onboard charges, taxes, and port fees should be refunded by carnival. She needs to contact her insurance company to find out her next step. I don’t know if insurance will pay if she’s a no show.

Insurance will not refund unless she cancels. You are correct to recommend that both the OP and her travel mate need to talk to their insurance agent/company to find out how to proceed if they expect insurance to reimburse.