Sanctuary - Does it fill up?

shubsens

We are always trying to get the Adults only experience and loved the adult only area on Celebrity and are now looking at a new cruise either on Virgin (adults only) but are also considering a Mexico Riviera cruise in Nov/Dec on Discovery, but only if we are able to spend as much time as we want in this Sanctuary area (adults only). Nothing against Kids I have 3 but they are Adults  now and when we vacation the less kids I see the better (unless they are my grand kids).

I guess I am a bit baffled at how Princess runs this area that you can’t pre-book space and if I am reading the forums correctly I would have to get the earliest embankment, run like hell (hopefully not knocking over old folks on the way) and “hope” I get the right route through the ship to “hopefully” stand in a long line to somehow be the chosen few to get a spot in the Sanctuary?

Seems quite unprofessional on Princess’s part to only provide people this option.

I really don’t want to pay all this money for a cruise and not get to enjoy the adults only experience when it is either free on other lines or be provided as part of the booking.

Has anyone not been able to get a spot in the sanctuary or am I reading these posts incorrectly

14 minutes ago, shubsens said:

Has anyone not been able to get a spot in the sanctuary or am I reading these posts incorrectly

We have never missed out on a spot in the Sanctuary.  I have heard of others that did miss out because it was fully booked.  And, a lot depends on the weather and itinerary of your cruise.   

It is one of our favorite locations on the ship!

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 4

You can only book the Sancturary once you are onboard.  You can purchase a pass for the duration of the cruise or schedule it on a day to day basis.  Yes, they really do fill up, especially when the weather is nice, so much so that if you don't get there right after you board, you may not get in at all.  

The Discovery also has some beautiful cabanas and although they are a lot more costly, it might be worth it to try it out for a day or two.  

Seriously, no kids are allowed in the sanctuary.  And if nobody is in there, you may be able to take a tour so you can pick out the cabana or the chairs you might want.  If there are any patrons using it at the time, we were not allowed in without a secured reservation.  

• Like 2

Assuming you have little or no status with Princess, that will mean that upwards of a few hundred Platinum and Elite pax will board ahead of you. On warm weather trips, that almost certainly guarantees that you will not have a choice of loungers and will probably left with the spots nobody ahead of you wanted. About (half?) of all Sanctuary slots on the newer ships like the Discovery are in full sun, and those tend to be less popular.  Your best bet would be to book one of the Cabanas at $220/day (vs $80/day for two loungers. The Cabanas are not sold out as easily as the loungers.

As someone pointed out earlier, if scoffing Sanctuary slots is so important, you will probably be disappointed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

. …. About (half?) of all Sanctuary slots on the newer ships like the Discovery are in full sun, and those tend to be less popular.  

How do we identify loungers that will be in shade - Not full Sun ?  Do the Sanctuary staff have a map of Sun/shade as we book?

Will be my first time Trying to book Sanctuary on upcoming cruises and need shade, or else I’ll pass.

TIA …

Edited by ocean sounds

All the points made above are valid. If the sanctuary defines an enjoyable cruise then you should research another cruise line.

Regarding youth. You will not find many on board except during holiday periods. Princess model does not attract as many youth as say RCI, Carnival, or NCL. No water slides, bumper cars, or other youth attractions. There are three 7 day non holiday sailings, Nov 26, Dec 3 & 10 which would most likely not have many youth on board. These sailings are not during school holiday periods.

Although not as nice as the sanctuary the retreat pool is also adults only.

The primary reason you can't pre-book the sanctuary is because you have to actually pick out your lounger which is then reserved for you. If you book the entire week the lounge will be there anytime you wish to be there. Come and go as you like.

Many passengers book b2bs. They then reserve their lounge at the end of the first cruise.

Want to also point out that there isn't much shade. The netting allows he sun's rays to bake through. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ocean sounds said:

How do we identify loungers that will be in shade - Not full Sun ?  Do the Sanctuary staff have a map of Sun/shade as we book?

Will be my first time Trying to book Sanctuary on upcoming cruises and need shade, or else I’ll pass.

TIA …

The staff has a map, plus they will walk you around to the available loungers.

• Thanks 1

Well thanks everyone for the information and thoughts.

Hopefully someday Princess changes how they run the Sanctuary, I can't image how someone with mobility issues even considers this acceptable (Rush to be in line).

To the new possible Princess cruisers here.

Yes, the Sanctuary can fill up very quickly on warm weather cruises.

But, don't let any perceived attitude and advice to just to sail another line put you off!!!

Here are the possibilities.

As mentioned, the cabanas within the Sanctuary are pricey, so they will probably not be all booked.

Also, remember the Retreat pool area is adults only.  Yes, very busy on sea days in nice weather,  but you can make sure to get up there early and get loungers.   (Staff has been known to remove items from loungers that seem to be left unoccupied for any longer period of the.)

Suites also have priority boarding.   ( I don't live the suite life, but I am thinking this does not include the small mini-suites.)

From what I understand, there are some real differences between Virgin and Princess.   Lack of pool area,  (Princess will have the AFT, the mid-ship main pool area, and the Retreat pool) lack of Buffett, and other aspects.  So make sure you try to get a feel for what each experience might be like.

I hope you did read my above post.   If anyone can board the ship and get on an elevator, they can access the Sanctuary just the exact same as anyone else.  No problems!   If somebody were to move more slowly, perhaps with a walker, the more able and faster person can easily go on ahead up to book loungers.

And, about the shade or sun.   the Sanctuary is a wrap-around area from Port to Bow to Starboard at the front of the ship.   Especially the very front of the ship has the large like shade tarps that provide partial shade.  Shade on the other areas will definitely vary by time of day and which direction that the ship is facing/sailing.   We learned to be able to choose loungers with more shade.

Also, the Majestic does not have the usual Sanctuary, but a fully enclosed covered pool and adult only area open to all adult guests.

Edited by Wishing on a star

57 minutes ago, shubsens said:

Well thanks everyone for the information and thoughts.

Hopefully someday Princess changes how they run the Sanctuary, I can't image how someone with mobility issues even considers this acceptable (Rush to be in line).

My thought is there are many more passengers on board than there are lounges in the sanctuary. If you allow pre-booking the spots will be filled years before, or as soon as the sanctuary booking widow opens, locking passengers out that booked later or locking them out on line as soon as the on line window opens. Neither would be an improvement to the current system. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, skynight said:

My thought is there are many more passengers on board than there are lounges in the sanctuary. If you allow pre-booking the spots will be filled years before, or as soon as the sanctuary booking widow opens, locking passengers out that booked later or locking them out on line as soon as the on line window opens. Neither would be an improvement to the current system. 

I agree.  Pre-booking only accelerates the date upon which capacity is reached.  Right now, capacity is reached, at worst, on departure day.  With pre-booking, capacity will be reached 6 months out. Maybe much more.  The Sun Princess inaugural cruises would probably be fully booked already with people eager to try out the newly designed area. 

If a peaceful, adults only "escape" is what you desire, see if you can book a cabin with a larger or extended balcony. The new Medallion Room Service system will ensure food and cocktail delivery right to your cabin.  You will be within arm's length of a refrigerator and will have your own, private bathroom.   True, you won't be lying down on a cushy recliner, but other than that, a suite or cabin with a larger than normal balcony can be a pretty good alternative that you don't have to fight for.  

• Like 1

I really enjoy the Sanctuary and have always been fortunate to reserve my space. That said there are a couple dynamics that can complicate booking space in the Sanctuary. One is when a cruise is sold as back to back or as a 14 day or longer. Those passengers can book at the beginning of their cruise for all the following segments. Another factor is the occasional promotion (often in England) that allows cruisers to book their passage, their flights, hotel stays, transfers, and the Sanctuary as part of one package. Years ago those passengers represented about 60%  of occupants which made it hard for others to book. I wish you the best and hope you enjoy your time there. 

On our Regal cruise(our first Princess cruise)we had no problem getting a place. Admittedly it was sometimes in full sun. On our 2020 trip to Hawaii on the Star, my husband & I were normally the only ones there due to it being very chilly. I often left early, But my spouse stayed all wrapped up in a blanket.

4 hours ago, kris816 said:

I am new to Princess and will be doing a partial Panama Canal cruise in December. Is it worth it to book the sanctuary for that day or our their better vantage points on the ship? 

Personally, I would not pay the premium for the Sanctuary on canal day.  We liked being able to watch the process from multiple vantage points on different decks.  YMMV.

• Like 1

We love the Sanctuary on Princess. Only a few times have we had trouble getting it for the week.  If you do a Mexican Riviera in November or December, the first day and last day are usually quite cool and usually windy if you are sailing. They do give you blankets to help keep you warm! I have not found it as busy on this cruise itinerary as on the Caribbean cruises. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shubsens said:

We are always trying to get the Adults only experience and loved the adult only area on Celebrity and are now looking at a new cruise either on Virgin (adults only) but are also considering a Mexico Riviera cruise in Nov/Dec on Discovery, but only if we are able to spend as much time as we want in this Sanctuary area (adults only). Nothing against Kids I have 3 but they are Adults  now and when we vacation the less kids I see the better (unless they are my grand kids).

I guess I am a bit baffled at how Princess runs this area that you can’t pre-book space and if I am reading the forums correctly I would have to get the earliest embankment, run like hell (hopefully not knocking over old folks on the way) and “hope” I get the right route through the ship to “hopefully” stand in a long line to somehow be the chosen few to get a spot in the Sanctuary?

Seems quite unprofessional on Princess’s part to only provide people this option.

I really don’t want to pay all this money for a cruise and not get to enjoy the adults only experience when it is either free on other lines or be provided as part of the booking.

We are doing our 1st cruise next summer and want to book in The Sanctuary for all the same reasons as you.  We will have early embarkation with our club class mini-suite and plan to do the sprint to sign up once onboard.  Our plan is to skip a port day if necessary to experience The Sanctuary.  Best of luck to you!

13 hours ago, kris816 said:

I am new to Princess and will be doing a partial Panama Canal cruise in December. Is it worth it to book the sanctuary for that day or our their better vantage points on the ship? 

Are you on the Caribbean or the Island Princess? Caribbean Princess has the sanctuary on the bow, Island at the stern. 

The day will go like this. Around 6am or so the ship will enter the approach channel. Around 7am it will enter the first or the Agua Clara locks. There are three locks and it takes approximately 30 to 45 minutes to clear each lock. Around 9am the ship will anchor in Gatun Lake. Passengers on ship's excursions will then be tendered ashore. Only those on ship's excursions are permitted to go ashore. No private excursions or sight seeing on your own. The ship then stays anchored for some time under the very hot sun. At some point usually in the afternoon the ship then exits Gatun Lake and docks at Cristobol. Passengers then get off and walk around. There is a dock there with some vendors. Those on ship's tours are returned directly to the dock. They do not exit through the locks.

There are plenty of nice viewing locations around both ships. I found it better to be able to walk around to get 360 degrees views of the locks rather than plant myself in a single location. If you plan to stay on board, no excursion, then the sanctuary probably will be very hot with strong sun. Better to locate in the shade. If you plan to take an excursion then you will only have a few early morning  hours to use the sanctuary. By the way the sanctuary price will be elevated for the P.C. day.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Does anybody know if if it has to be Club Class Minisuite or a Full Suite to get priority boarding.  Non Elite.

Regular Minisuites do not get this perk, right?

For those without sufficient Captain's Circle status to board early, it is Club Class and Full Suite yes.  Regular MiniSuites, no.  

Edited by JimmyVWine