Current Lists of Wine on Board (2022/23)

luv2travel90266

8 hours ago, tonyl1956 said:

The only off-putting bit will be producing a cabin card with every order - thought we'd moved beyond that!

With the new Azamara onboard system used currently on Onward you don’t need to, the server  just asks for your cabin number and from their hand held device they can see you have a package and for security your picture also is shown.

All of the ships will have this system over the next few months I was told Pursuit will be next very shortly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/5/2022 at 9:24 PM, Riocca said:

With the new Azamara onboard system used currently on Onward you don’t need to, the server  just asks for your cabin number and from their hand held device they can see you have a package and for security your picture also is shown.

All of the ships will have this system over the next few months I was told Pursuit will be next very shortly.

Indeed. Moreover, after visiting the Atlas Bar on the first evening, we were never subsequently asked anything on subsequent evenings by the excellent bar staff, other than what we would like to order...😀

• Like 4

On 11/1/2022 at 4:48 AM, Riocca said:

This is the latest wine list for the Ultimate Package onboard Azamara Onward.

107C0087-ADDB-43E3-8928-EF7547DF7301.thumb.jpeg.a75a599d554c5bd78ceda6ab7e67ffee.jpeg

I am amazed that Californian Domain Chandon is actually more expensive that Moët & Chandon!  I really like Domain Chandon from the Yarra Valley (Victoria, Australia) but wouldn’t rate it better that Moët.  It will be interesting to see if Quest sources locally when in Australia this year.  I bought the Ultimate Package particularly for the Champagne, secondly for cocktails.

On 11/6/2022 at 5:24 AM, Riocca said:

That’s a good system.  On my recent river cruise there were quite a lot of drinks charged ($0) to my room that I don’t even drink!  Probably the bar staff knew my easy room number #111  but didn’t remember that of the person ordering rather than any skulduggery.  I didn’t query the listing with the purser of course, but a displayed photo will stop any expensive mistakes.

On 10/13/2022 at 11:04 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I ultimately decided [see what I did there?] to skip the Ultimate Package and take the Wine Connoisseur Package 5-bottle plan.  Working with head sommelier Silas I have been able to choose a wine that pairs very well with that night's dinner, and after drinking my usual 1/2 bottle Silas recorks it with a device that removes all the air so the wine will keep until I finish it another night.  This has given me a much wider selection than the Ultimate Package or even the wine list, as Silas will offer me wines from the cellar that are not on any list (I got the only bottle of Auslese on board to go with dessert!).  Serious wine lovers should only go this route (unless you are in a position to bring you own wine on board and pay the corkage). 

What are some of the wines you were able to get?

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

What are some of the wines you were able to get?

•  don't remember the first one, except that it was white (I think it was a Pouilly Fuisse)  

•  Abadia Retuerta Selección Especial, Sardon de Duero, 2014 (75% Tempranillo, 15% Cab Sauv, 10% Syrah) [WS 93, RP 92]

•  an Auslese from Mosel (didn't get picture, was last bottle on board anyway...)

•  Meiomi Pinot Noir

•  Chateau Mont Redon, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 2016 ($20 surcharge) [WS 93]

I deliberately didn't ask to see the bottle list, as I didn't want to know if this worked out to be good value for the package...  [I did enjoy all the wines, and the pairing advice was excellent.]

• Thanks 2

An extract of what I posted on "anyone onboard currently" about wines..

...Comp wines are a mix of Azamara labeled and others (a very nice other Syrah last night…).  Tony had a Q&A today and wines were discussed:  head office has hired a sommelier to revamp the entire wine (and other liquor packages) program;...

.... They did have a second container full of wine, which they found in Sydney.  After it had sat for a year or more in heat and cold and heat and… they ended up throwing most of it away… tested one bottle per case, then if needed dumped the rest.   (Now there’s a job that we passengers could have helped with if they had asked!)

One of the things "Jonathan"  ... the guy hired to look at the wine program... is specifically looking at is a country intensive wine program for those cruises that are "country intensive"   Not sure yet if it will be the comp wines or the "revenue wines" or maybe a stand alone package.

Tony also noted that Azamara has entered into an agreement with Chateau St Michelle ( which is also owned by Sycamore Partners) to provide more wines... again, not sure if house wines or "revenue wines"   -- Tony's words...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

@DS thanks so much for all your reports!  I remember you just wanted to get a break from all the hurricane clean up so I hope you are enjoying and getting some pampering!  Thanks for the reports on the wine situation, also!  I am reading all the info you are posting!!  
We are preparing to board 12/12, a few cruises after you.  A few questions, if you don’t mind…..

Is the Windows Cafe back to buffet in the evening?  I think I read that.  Last year we really enjoyed the sit down themed evenings where they served you, so we are just trying to decide where we want to dine.

Do you have any idea if the spa area in the front is limited to top suites and not CC suites?  Are there passes available for purchase in the spa still for that area?

Is the swirl and top machine outside the patio functional?  I.e. …working?

I think you said the Cruise Critic meet and greet was the day of embarkation and You missed it?  Hopefully it was listed in the program?  We have an active roll call on our cruise and many of us are looking forward to getting together.  Just trying to pass along accurate info on the roll call.

Hope you continue to enjoy and have some wonderful relaxing days at sea!,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

I think you said the Cruise Critic meet and greet was the day of embarkation and You missed it?  Hopefully it was listed in the program?  We have an active roll call on our cruise and many of us are looking forward to getting together.  Just trying to pass along accurate info on the roll call.

Prepare for it to be embarkation day at 5 pm.  It may be a little later, but that way people will be on the qui vive to check the program early enough.

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Prepare for it to be embarkation day at 5 pm.  It may be a little later, but that way people will be on the qui vive to check the program early enough.

Yes, that is what we are most likely expecting.

Not the most convenient time and many people miss it because of that.

I am trying to prepare people on our roll call that it may be at that time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

Yes, that is what we are most likely expecting.

Not the most convenient time and many people miss it because of that.

I am trying to prepare people on our roll call that it may be at that time.

That’s when ours was on our recent Quest cruise. It was not hosted and was in the Drawing Room. It was a bit crowded as we had a very active roll call.It was in the embarkation day Insider.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, DS said:

An extract of what I posted on "anyone onboard currently" about wines..

...Comp wines are a mix of Azamara labeled and others (a very nice other Syrah last night…).  Tony had a Q&A today and wines were discussed:  head office has hired a sommelier to revamp the entire wine (and other liquor packages) program;...

.... They did have a second container full of wine, which they found in Sydney.  After it had sat for a year or more in heat and cold and heat and… they ended up throwing most of it away… tested one bottle per case, then if needed dumped the rest.   (Now there’s a job that we passengers could have helped with if they had asked!)

One of the things "Jonathan"  ... the guy hired to look at the wine program... is specifically looking at is a country intensive wine program for those cruises that are "country intensive"   Not sure yet if it will be the comp wines or the "revenue wines" or maybe a stand alone package.

Tony also noted that Azamara has entered into an agreement with Chateau St Michelle ( which is also owned by Sycamore Partners) to provide more wines... again, not sure if house wines or "revenue wines"   -- Tony's words...

Interesting insight. It's encouraging to hear that Azamara have acknowledged shortfalls in this area and are starting to address them. Sadly it will probably not happen in time for my cruise in January. Just hope there is something decent on the Ultimate package or I can persuade the onboard sommelier to go 'off piste' and find something reasonable.

The Chateau Ste Michelle link up makes sense. While they are not stellar in quality, I imagine they would be rather too costly for the included wines, but could provide a decent foundation for the Ultimate package.

46 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I tried the Syrah in the included package on embarkation day, and it was very drinkable. I was impressed.

Can you tell me, is there Whispering Angel currently available that you are aware of for package holders on Onward  That might determine what I bring onboard  (appreciate stocks might get hammered between now and Miami).  Also what champagne is being offered on the package?

Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Can you tell me, is there Whispering Angel currently available that you are aware of for package holders on Onward  That might determine what I bring onboard  (appreciate stocks might get hammered between now and Miami).  Also what champagne is being offered on the package?

Thanks

Yes, Whispering Angel is available. I have some nearly every day - it’s my favourite rosè. I will try to leave some for you!  The current champagne is Moët & Chandon, which I am also enjoying in large quantities. 😁

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

Yes, Whispering Angel is available. I have some nearly every day - it’s my favourite rosè. I will try to leave some for you!  The current champagne is Moët & Chandon, which I am also enjoying in large quantities. 😁

Excellent news -maybe I won't be testing how much I can bring onboard at Miami  

Keep enjoying but please leave a modicum for me 🙂 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Excellent news -maybe I won't be testing how much I can bring onboard at Miami  

Keep enjoying but please leave a modicum for me 🙂 

We're gonna go on the next cruise after you and with such a long lineup of wine connoisseurs, I'd better bring some with me 😉

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 4:51 AM, federalexpress said:

Interesting insight. It's encouraging to hear that Azamara have acknowledged shortfalls in this area and are starting to address them. Sadly it will probably not happen in time for my cruise in January. Just hope there is something decent on the Ultimate package or I can persuade the onboard sommelier to go 'off piste' and find something reasonable.

The Chateau Ste Michelle link up makes sense. While they are not stellar in quality, I imagine they would be rather too costly for the included wines, but could provide a decent foundation for the Ultimate package.

A friend used to be Education VP at C St M.  If lucky you folks may see their Joint venture reisling made with Dr Loosen called Eroica.  Their Washington State Reisling and Cabs can be very nice. If you happen to be in Wash State, Google Joel Butler and visit his wine shop.  Among Americas most distinguished MWs.

Maybe Azamara’s team will read this and consult with him. Would be happy to make an intro. Easy flight from So Cal for a VC team junket trip.

Edited by Pizzasteve

20 minutes ago, uktog said:

No champagne on Onward for the Ultimate package only Veuve de Verve sparkling wine 

When asking about Ultimate Package  inclusions in Discoveries last night on board Onward  I was presented with this menu….

(Hopefully photo loads.)

Any recommendations for the reds?

8A477D88-DDC0-4B7A-B348-977F11838C76.jpeg

Edited by Stem to Stern

15 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

When asking about Ultimate Package  inclusions in Discoveries last night on board Onward  I was presented with this menu….

(Hopefully photo loads.)

Not impressed with the reds

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

(Hopefully photo loads.)

DH had the mondavi. It’s not a high end Mondavi but he enjoyed it 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mackdogmolly said:

Not impressed with the reds

Yes it’s a case of finding best of a not great bunch. There is no Wairu River but we saw a waiter with a bottle so need to track that one