What to do in Martha's Vineyard?

Sandyrella

We'll be stopping in Martha's Vineyard in June and are looking for suggestions on what to do there.

Celebrity doesn't have any excursions being offered yet and this is usually my inspiration on researching independent tours?

Any suggestions?  I know we can just walk around and have lunch in the port area but I'd like to see more.

TIA

Two couples might think about splitting the cost and renting a car to get around-- island is about 20 miles long and 8 or so wide at its widest -look at a map, few roads and easy to get around  so you can pick stops which interest you rather than have to do the group bus. I spent a number of summers there as a child -- even with a kid's thermostat, the water wasn't warm enough for swimming until July 4, so forget the beaches.  Different towns each with own character- sadly too much of the island has been yuppified, but a lot of charm remains.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank-you for the great suggestions..  I would love to do a tour just to get a bit of information about the island.  We don't like exploring blindly as we always want to learn something about our destinations.

The tour bus from the ferry terminal sounds like a great option, maybe followed by some walking around town and visiting the gingerbread houses.  They look so cute!!

Having grown up in New England with summers on the Vineyard, I would love to be there again ( our family were extras in JAWS when filmed in the 70's). So you probably will dock in Oak Bluffs as that is the most cruise ship friendly.

Depending on your port times... OB has the merry go round... great small shops & restaurants. In June the Island bus will be running between OB, Vineyard Haven and Edgertown. Edgertown is a bit more upscale, with lots of shops, restaurants, a nice harbor, etc.

Vineyard Haven is more relaxed & laid back. We used to love to sit and just watch the ferries unload from Woods Hole (mainland MASS) in VH.

Be sure to get fish or 'lobsta' roll while there.

Renting a car can also be an option as was said before. You could drive to the smaller towns around (Menemsha, Chilmark- sm fishing village) or the red cliffs of Gay Head.

• 4 months later...

Last time I was at MV was during off-season and I took the ferry over from woods hole the school bus tour was still running but a bunch of us day trippers also found a smaller van that did an island tour as well at the ferry dock.  It was more personal and got to maybe see some places a school bus couldn't go. 

We love Martha’s Vineyard!  We were out there this past summer. Edgartown is our favorite, lots of great little shops and plenty of places to take beautiful photos. Don’t miss Mad Martha’s, a must stop for delicious ice cream.  MVY is also a great place to rent bikes and peddle around on numerous bike paths.  We rented kayaks just outside of Edgartown on the “pond” across from the Jaws beach.  You will wish you had more time to spend on this magical island!

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2022 at 7:42 AM, suefrankw said:

Having grown up in New England with summers on the Vineyard, I would love to be there again ( our family were extras in JAWS when filmed in the 70's). So you probably will dock in Oak Bluffs as that is the most cruise ship friendly.

Depending on your port times... OB has the merry go round... great small shops & restaurants. In June the Island bus will be running between OB, Vineyard Haven and Edgertown. Edgertown is a bit more upscale, with lots of shops, restaurants, a nice harbor, etc.

Vineyard Haven is more relaxed & laid back. We used to love to sit and just watch the ferries unload from Woods Hole (mainland MASS) in VH.

Be sure to get fish or 'lobsta' roll while there.

Renting a car can also be an option as was said before. You could drive to the smaller towns around (Menemsha, Chilmark- sm fishing village) or the red cliffs of Gay Head.

Where are you recommending to get a "lobsta" roll?