14 night Breakaway Cancelling 2 ports?

2boyzmom

I'm so confused. People on my roll call saying they received notification that NCL Breakaway is cancelling Puerto Plata and Cozumel due to "slow speed" needed for ship November 2022. I called NCL they have nothing regarding this change. Interesting the people saying they were notified are from UK and Australia...

37 minutes ago, 2boyzmom said:

I'm so confused. People on my roll call saying they received notification that NCL Breakaway is cancelling Puerto Plata and Cozumel due to "slow speed" needed for ship November 2022. I called NCL they have nothing regarding this change. Interesting the people saying they were notified are from UK and Australia...

Update: I called and spoke to another rep at NCL and yes they are cancelling 2 ports. We will receive a $300 onboard credit. Big deal. I'm pissed! Nothing I can do. No refund, no swap to another cruise. Nada

54 minutes ago, 2boyzmom said:

Update: I called and spoke to another rep at NCL and yes they are cancelling 2 ports. We will receive a $300 onboard credit. Big deal. I'm pissed! Nothing I can do. No refund, no swap to another cruise. Nada

Ports get changed/canceled and many times no OBC is offered. 

25 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Ports get changed/canceled and many times no OBC is offered. 

I'm well aware of port changes due to weather but a 14 night cruise cancelling 2 ports with 4 straight sea days now is a bit much. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, 2boyzmom said:

I'm well aware of port changes due to weather but a 14 night cruise cancelling 2 ports with 4 straight sea days now is a bit much. 

You need to take the good with the bad. The itinerary on our 14 day cruise in February on the BA change drastically. We were supposed to have 8 port days, that went down to 6 and only 2 of the stops were original

13 hours ago, Laszlo said:

You need to take the good with the bad. The itinerary on our 14 day cruise in February on the BA change drastically. We were supposed to have 8 port days, that went down to 6 and only 2 of the stops were original

Did they notify you in advance or did it happen while onboard? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 2boyzmom said:

This does not make any sense at all, first they are saying that they are having engine problems and if that's the case it's time to make repairs now! while they have their "Canada" cruises where many places are cleaning up now so it would be a good time to do their repairs at this moment or take it to a dry dock and not ruins people's vacation they have planned for months and paid thousands for the cruise, non-refundable flights, hotels to visit the ports and have even more major problems down the line in November which is very irresponsible of them. I had exciting excursions planned for DR and Cozumel and been waiting all year to go on this cruise just because the company is probably trying to "save" fuel and I don't believe in the "maintenance" thing they are saying because they have so much time at the moment to do everything. I understand canceling ports due to weather but in the years of cruising with NCL this is the first time I hear something like this as a reason and I am not buying it! Also cancelling Cozumel does not make any sense at all since it right by the Cayman island and I don't believe what they are saying that they are doing their maintenance on Day 12 of the cruise. Be smart people and don't make companies make fools out of us because we are not stupid, I'm not buying none of this. I am for sure getting management on Monday, paid way too much money and very badly wanted to visit these ports and hope they at least add them back or add at least one alternate. If you stay quiet they will assume all is good, I highly advise anyone currently booked to voice your concerns to management, the more the better.

Edited by Sailorman2022
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sailorman2022 said:

. I am for sure getting management on Monday, paid way too much money and very badly wanted to visit these ports and hope they at least add them back or add at least one alternate. If you stay quiet they will assume all is good, I highly advise anyone currently booked to voice your concerns to management, the more the better.

Let us know how that goes.....

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Sailorman2022 said:

This does not make any sense at all, first they are saying that they are having engine problems and if that's the case it's time to make repairs now! while they have their "Canada" cruises where many places are cleaning up now so it would be a good time to do their repairs at this moment or take it to a dry dock and not ruins people's vacation they have planned for months and paid thousands for the cruise, non-refundable flights, hotels to visit the ports and have even more major problems down the line in November which is very irresponsible of them. I had exciting excursions planned for DR and Cozumel and been waiting all year to go on this cruise just because the company is probably trying to "save" fuel and I don't believe in the "maintenance" thing they are saying because they have so much time at the moment to do everything. I understand canceling ports due to weather but in the years of cruising with NCL this is the first time I hear something like this as a reason and I am not buying it! Also cancelling Cozumel does not make any sense at all since it right by the Cayman island and I don't believe what they are saying that they are doing their maintenance on Day 12 of the cruise. Be smart people and don't make companies make fools out of us because we are not stupid, I'm not buying none of this. I am for sure getting management on Monday, paid way too much money and very badly wanted to visit these ports and hope they at least add them back or add at least one alternate. If you stay quiet they will assume all is good, I highly advise anyone currently booked to voice your concerns to management, the more the better.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I assume that you understand that you can't just driver over to a NAPA auto parts store and buy spare parts for a MAN Energy Solutions 16,800 kW engine manufactured in Augsburg, Germany. And that a spare part don't get shipped in a medium-size Amazon Prime box,,,, once custom manufactured, they are shipped in a cargo container on a slow boat from Europe.

And that, like the repair of a major appliance in your home, you typically don't do it yourself, and you hire skilled mechanics from the OEM. And unlike calling a 24-hour appliance repair shop, it takes months to schedule the skilled mechanics you need once you get commitment for your parts to be manufactured and delivered. 

So, no one is making a fool out of you.  The cruise line is going to get their ship repaired as soon as possible. 

Over at Royal Caribbean, one of their ships had an fire in the engine room in June taking one of their engines offline. They are still waiting to have parts manufactured and repairs to be scheduled. That caused severe changes to itineraries when they had to take a second engine offline for maintenance for three weeks (routine maintenance is measure in weeks, not minutes like when you  take your car to Jiffy Lube). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2022 at 11:45 AM, BirdTravels said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I assume that you understand that you can't just driver over to a NAPA auto parts store and buy spare parts for a MAN Energy Solutions 16,800 kW engine manufactured in Augsburg, Germany. And that a spare part don't get shipped in a medium-size Amazon Prime box,,,, once custom manufactured, they are shipped in a cargo container on a slow boat from Europe.

And that, like the repair of a major appliance in your home, you typically don't do it yourself, and you hire skilled mechanics from the OEM. And unlike calling a 24-hour appliance repair shop, it takes months to schedule the skilled mechanics you need once you get commitment for your parts to be manufactured and delivered. 

So, no one is making a fool out of you.  The cruise line is going to get their ship repaired as soon as possible. 

Over at Royal Caribbean, one of their ships had an fire in the engine room in June taking one of their engines offline. They are still waiting to have parts manufactured and repairs to be scheduled. That caused severe changes to itineraries when they had to take a second engine offline for maintenance for three weeks (routine maintenance is measure in weeks, not minutes like when you  take your car to Jiffy Lube). 

I understand that parts cannot be acquired/installed quickly, and I'm not too concerned about cancelling 2 ports.  But I'm nervous... How can they assure us that this is not a safety issue?  I don't want to get stranded in the Caribbean Sea!

49 minutes ago, mbf111 said:

How can they assure us that this is not a safety issue?

You are assured of this by simply stepping on board.  The US Coast Guard won't let the ship sail if it doesn't have a minimum safety level.  They will not shove off if they have only one engine running.  The ship has 4 engines, they actually account for one to be offline for service at any given time.

@chengkp75 can provide a more detailed answer on that

I’m annoyed we’re going on a Caribbean cruise but the first four days will be chilli because the ship has to go slow out of New York.  I expected it to be cold the first day or so but four slow sailing sea days out of New York in November isn’t good enough. We upgraded the free at sea to free at sea plus which gave us $100 per port towards excursions which we now lose.  We also purchased vibe passes which, due to the weather we won’t get the the same use out of due to 4 slow colder days  out at sea from New York. I know things change but we’ve all paid full price for a Caribbean cruise that now loses 2 port days and it isn’t going to be sunbathing weather on board the ship for the first 4 sea days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mardavbetale said:

I’m annoyed we’re going on a Caribbean cruise but the first four days will be chilli because the ship has to go slow out of New York.  I expected it to be cold the first day or so but four slow sailing sea days out of New York in November isn’t good enough. We upgraded the free at sea to free at sea plus which gave us $100 per port towards excursions which we now lose.  We also purchased vibe passes which, due to the weather we won’t get the the same use out of due to 4 slow colder days  out at sea from New York. I know things change but we’ve all paid full price for a Caribbean cruise that now loses 2 port days and it isn’t going to be sunbathing weather on board the ship for the first 4 sea days.

Well if it's not cancelled, meet us in the hot tub in Vibe. We have lounged in the hot tubs onboard NCL when it was snowing out of NYC and it was pretty cool!

Edited by 2boyzmom

I wish people on this cruise would stop suggesting they cancel one of the October sailings to New England and Canada.  Some others on another thread suggested the same thing.  We are on one of those sailings in October and would like it to take place.

We were just up in St John New Brunswick over the weekend on another cruise and there were not any remnants of the hurricane. I cant speak for Halifax but am assuming it will be fine as well. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AmbitionatBay said:

I wish people on this cruise would stop suggesting they cancel one of the October sailings to New England and Canada.  Some others on another thread suggested the same thing.

What do they expect to be accomplished by cancelling one of the previous cruises?  Do they expect that the week of not sailing would get the repairs done sooner?

On 9/27/2022 at 6:18 PM, AmbitionatBay said:

We were just up in St John New Brunswick over the weekend on another cruise and there were not any remnants of the hurricane. I cant speak for Halifax but am assuming it will be fine as well. 

I just returned from the Breakaway and Halifax was ok and had good weather. The tour guide said that they worked hard picking up the fallen trees right away.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2022 at 5:21 PM, 2boyzmom said:

And during those four straight sea days you have 300 in OBC to pamper yourself with.  Many times when ports get changed or cancelled you get squat.  Consider yourself lucky to get 300 in OBC.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 2:02 PM, Laszlo said:

Ouch.... 5 port days and 9 sea days

Really 5 port and 8 sea days.  A 14 day cruise is really only 13 full days taking into account embarkation and disembarkation days.  The new cruise is now almost similar to a transatlantic and the cruisers are getting 300 for the "inconvenience" of losing 2 ports.  

• Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 10:03 AM, Sailorman2022 said:

I am for sure getting management on Monday, paid way too much money and very badly wanted to visit these ports and hope they at least add them back or add at least one alternate.

Let us know how this goes...also, thanks for the laugh! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Really 5 port and 8 sea days.  A 14 day cruise is really only 13 full days taking into account embarkation and disembarkation days.  The new cruise is now almost similar to a transatlantic and the cruisers are getting 300 for the "inconvenience" of losing 2 ports.  

Sounds like a beautiful blessing to me! I know some enjoy port after port after port. I much prefer sea day after sea day after sea day...ahhh, so blissful, relaxing, and just plain perfect. Last cruise I took was a nine day cruise. Bermuda was canceled. I spent the day in Miami in the thermal suite, rather than exploring. We had two scheduled days in Port Canaveral. Those days were also spent relaxing my muscles! Ahhh, yes please!

• Like 2