Oasis of the Seas: Yay or Nay?

MarieF4861

Looking for feedback on the Oasis. I am considering doing a 5 day Canadian itinerary out of Bayonne in May of 2023.  I guess my main concern is that I have never been on a ship with that many passengers!. Also, for anyone who has sailed  the Oasis recently, would you recommend My Time Dining?  I did on my last cruise on the Anthem in 2017 without incident.  But I have been reading about long waits for tables these days. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, MarieF4861 said:

UDP

Ultimate Dining Package. Oasis-Class ships have a ton of specialty dining that's not included in the price of the sailing as seen here. The commenter recommended the UDP to take advantage of them, as they have really good reviews around these boards, plus, it would alleviate any concern about lines for food as you'd have reservations.

Edited by notscb
edit: clarity.
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

I loved Oasis! My Time Dining was quite hectic. I would only suggest MTD if you and your party are very patient and don’t mind standing in a line for a while. If you have people in your party who will be highly irritated waiting at least a half hour for your table go with assigned time dining.

Stay away from the Windjammer during prime time breakfast and lunch times. They can't handle the crowd. I'm not sure if it's under staffed or just not big enough. Try JR'S for breakfast or the Solarium.

• Like 1

MTD was kind of a disaster on our recent sailing (end of Aug. into Sept.). We had 7:30 reservations and arrived at 7:25 to find they were still seating those with 6:45 reservations. And the ship was max full, loads of kids. Honestly, for us, it was a bit much, although I see the attraction for families with kids. There are many great aspects -- including Central Park -- that make this a unique experience. But for what it worth, a full Oasis class feels more crowded to us than a full Quantum class ship. YMMV, of course.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.  I haven't cruised in 5 years or consulted Cruise Critic in almost as long.  Even the boards have changed!  I just figured out how to access my old posts.  I thought they had all disappeared!  Based on what I am reading, I think I am going to pass on MTD. I am not sure if the friend I am traveling with would be willing to splurge on the UDP.  I have been reading that some things go on sale on Black Friday.  Is this one of them? I prefer early dining, but 5:15 seems earlier than what it used to be.  I need to figure out what will work best with the shows and other evening plans.  It appears that the shows need to be booked in advance and that you cannot book them until you are on board.  Is that true?  I have also been reading about "the key," which apparently helps with getting  the shows when you want them addition to an earlier boarding time, Internet, and a few other perks (lunch on first day) that I don't recall.  Is this worth getting?  Thanks!

Edited by MarieF4861
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, MarieF4861 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I haven't cruised in 5 years or consulted Cruise Critic in almost as long.  Even the boards have changed!  I just figured out how to access my old posts.  I thought they had all disappeared!  Based on what I am reading, I think I am going to pass on MTD.

We sailed September 4th-11th and never waited more than 10 minutes for MTD. Twice we just walked right in with no line.

We normally eat around 8:30ish.

Edited by Yorkvillain

56 minutes ago, MarieF4861 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I haven't cruised in 5 years or consulted Cruise Critic in almost as long.  Even the boards have changed!  I just figured out how to access my old posts.  I thought they had all disappeared!  Based on what I am reading, I think I am going to pass on MTD. I am not sure if the friend I am traveling with would be willing to splurge on the UDP.  I have been reading that some things go on sale on Black Friday.  Is this one of them? I prefer early dining, but 5:15 seems earlier than what it used to be.  I need to figure out what will work best with the shows and other evening plans.  It appears that the shows need to be booked in advance and that you cannot book them until you are on board.  Is that true?  I have also been reading about "the key," which apparently helps with getting  the shows when you want them addition to an earlier boarding time, Internet, and a few other perks (lunch on first day) that I don't recall.  Is this worth getting?  Thanks!

The price for the UDP just keeps going up and up.  Only you can decide if it adds value to your cruise to spend another $280-ish.

The Key becomes worthwhile if the price is the same as purchasing internet alone.  Since it provides you with internet + first day lunch in Chops, you would come out ahead.

The Key does NOT help you "get shows when you want".  You have to reserve them like everyone else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarieF4861 said:

As Merion Mom pointed out, the Key doesn't get you 'shows when you want'.  Once you get onboard and make show reservations, those that have the Key have a reserved area to sit--but you MUST get there early because they open those seats up to anyone about 10 minutes before show time.  Also, the reserved area is usually on the mezzanine for the main theater.  The Key seats are just behind those in full suites.  Yes, the UDP might be on sale at a good price, Black Friday can be hit or miss, and right now Royal is trying to recoup as much as they can from the shutdown. The base prices for everything have really increased quite a bit, which means the sale prices are now pretty much what base prices were pre-Covid.   We have done the early dining, and yes 5:15 is a bit early.  But we liked it because we could then get to the early shows and not feel guilty about an after-show snack.  

We were on the Oasis in May (3 adults). Ate at around 7:30-8:00 and never had to wait for a MTD table. But be advised....not too many large family units or children on board for this cruise. You can avoid the lines in the MTD queue if you are flexible. If you have a larger group and want to eat when everybody else does, you wait with everyone else or book "traditional dining ".

On 9/25/2022 at 9:09 AM, papaflamingo said:

We did MTD on Allure a few years ago and I made reservations, pre-cruise, for every night.  People with reservations get priority at their reserved time for a table so the wait should be less. 

That works but for me the whole plus of MTD is there's no set dining time. Go early, go late, etc. based on whatever activity or mood I'm in. Just go when I feel like it. I hate schedules. But that's just me.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 2:11 AM, mets123 said:

Stay away from the Windjammer during prime time breakfast and lunch times. They can't handle the crowd. I'm not sure if it's under staffed or just not big enough. Try JR'S for breakfast or the Solarium.

I would second this comment. That was my only issue with Oasis is the Windjammer during any meal in my recent experience. There was always a line to get in, I personally think it's too small of a venue for a ship that size.

Other than that, everything else was great. I was even surprised how quick and easy it was to get on/off the boat with so many people. From the time we parked our car in Bayonne until the time we were on the ship was exactly 23 minutes (I had a stopwatch), pretty impressive if you ask me. We would certainly sail her again, I'm glad they brought an Oasis class ship to the New York area.

On 9/26/2022 at 5:18 PM, nferr said:

That works but for me the whole plus of MTD is there's no set dining time. Go early, go late, etc. based on whatever activity or mood I'm in. Just go when I feel like it. I hate schedules. But that's just me.

You have that option, but then you'll be in the "as available" line and will likely have a wait. What I did was look at our schedule and see what times suited the schedule based on shore time, shows, etc.  Then scheduled around that.  Of course we were a party of 11 so that did make it more important to have scheduled times.  If it's just 2 or so of you and you don't mind sharing tables, you may not have overly long waits.  

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

You have that option, but then you'll be in the "as available" line and will likely have a wait. What I did was look at our schedule and see what times suited the schedule based on shore time, shows, etc.  Then scheduled around that.  Of course we were a party of 11 so that did make it more important to have scheduled times.  If it's just 2 or so of you and you don't mind sharing tables, you may not have overly long waits.  

I usually cruise solo so "freedom" is most important to me. If there's a longer wait I just go get a drink and come back later. I'm on vacation - I hate schedules.

• Like 1