On Deck

Alantra

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

You can't understand why someone would want lip balm, or a hair brush, or sunglasses (or reading glasses) or other stuff?

Granted we don't all need the same things, but I can understand if others might need something I don't...

Agree with you 100%. We all  have different things that we want/need to carry with us. If someone cannot understand that fact? Sounds like they don't have a very open mind about things. I have seen women with full sized tote bags on board. That won't work for me but if they need things with them?

That is definitely understandable.

• Like 2

On land I always have a purse with me. But on a cruise I never have. Most of my clothes have a pocket of some sort that I can put my phone in, and if needed my card.  But I also have a lanyard that I can throw my card in too. I’ll probably bring some form of wristlet or something just in case I want it. 

3 hours ago, lissie said:

I have pockets  - card in one phone in other or my camera over my shoulder - I have no idea why youd need anything else on board 

Well, how about lip balm and tissues?  I can't go anywhere without them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You can't understand why someone would want lip balm, or a hair brush, or sunglasses (or reading glasses) or other stuff?

Granted we don't all need the same things, but I can understand if others might need something I don't...

As above - that's what pockets are for!  Though I must admit that  never ever have  I carried  a hair brush with me!  Glasses went in a pocket before I got bifocals.   When I travel I carry a cross-body - but specifically on a ship where I'm never far from my room ... I really don't get it.   You don't need a towel - they have them on the pool deck  You can always go back for another layer if the weather changes dramatically.  I don't wear make up, I put suntan lotion on before I leave the cabin  (its not effective if you put it on after you get in the sun).  If I need my laptop or kindle I carry them in my hand or over my shoulder 

Multiple thoughts: 

- If you don't yet understand the need for reading glasses, hang on -- you'll get here!  My mid-50s husband doesn't wear glasses for everyday walking around or driving, but he literally can't read the dinner menu without dollar-store readers.  So I carry a pair for him in my purse.  At home he keeps readers in the car (to take into restaurants), by the tub, by the sofa, by the computer ... unless they wear bifocals, readers are a real need for people "of a certain age".

- I'm another who wants Chapstick pretty often.  

- I do apply sunscreen in my cabin (before putting on my swimsuit), but sometimes I "touch up" at the pool.  

- I never carry tissues.  I don't find that I need them often, and -- when I do -- a restroom is always nearby.  

- I agree that a phone is a semi-necessity now because of the app (though we still request a paper Compass), but we like to decide what we're going to do the night before -- we don't really "go to" the app constantly throughout the day.  If we were with a group, yeah, maybe we'd text -- but since it's just the two of us, it's not a real need.  

- We take plenty of pictures (with a real camera) on the first day before the ship is busy, and we don't really take a lot day-to-day.  

- I do carry towels when I'm going to the pool, but I carry them in my hand, as my pool bag is too small for a towel.  I don't like to check towels in/out of the $25 system on a daily basis, as I fear it'd be too easy for the staff to hit a wrong button /fail to check a towel back in.  So I get my towels on Day 1 and "exchange" rather than return them on a daily basis.  I return them on Day Last, minimizing the number of times my room number goes into the system.  This means I have towels early in the morning /late at night, even if the Towel Station isn't open, but it does mean I have to remember to bring them with me when I head up to the pool deck.  

- Another thing I carry in my purse is medicine.  I take one medication and several vitamins -- I count pills out into those tiny plastic baggies, and I take one baggie to breakfast.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

Mum, your reply is so thoughtful and detailed. I also use readers and my sunglasses are actually prescription.

As for understanding, seems like the poster has a difficult time with the concept. We are all different human beings. And all require different wants/needs.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Mum, your reply is so thoughtful and detailed. I also use readers and my sunglasses are actually prescription.

As for understanding, seems like the poster has a difficult time with the concept. We are all different human beings. And all require different wants/needs.

Thanks!  

If someone were to look over what I pack, they'd certainly say I over-pack glasses ... but I am from a near-blind family, and I really use them all: 

- My bifocals, which are my all-day /every-day go-to. 

- My prescription sunglasses, which are distance only because bifocals are quite expensive. 

- My readers, which I love because I read for hours at a time and with the readers I don't need to hold the book in "just the right spot".  And because sometimes I fall asleep with my readers on, and I don't want to roll over and risk bending my expensive bifocals. 

- My sunglass readers for reading by the pool.  

Of course, I don't carry these around the ship.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 7:54 AM, lissie said:

As above - that's what pockets are for!  Though I must admit that  never ever have  I carried  a hair brush with me!  Glasses went in a pocket before I got bifocals.   When I travel I carry a cross-body - but specifically on a ship where I'm never far from my room ... I really don't get it.   You don't need a towel - they have them on the pool deck  You can always go back for another layer if the weather changes dramatically.  I don't wear make up, I put suntan lotion on before I leave the cabin  (its not effective if you put it on after you get in the sun).  If I need my laptop or kindle I carry them in my hand or over my shoulder 

BBBBBut, where do you carry the duct tape?  😀

• Haha 2

Well, it has become obvious that there are as many different answers as there are people!

Personally, I never carry a phone.  Ever.  I don't care to take photos.  I don't use an app to get menus or activity info.

My room card is my only "must" at all times.

If I'm going to eat in the MDR, I take a little purse with reading glasses, for the menu.

If I want water I get a glass of it from any bar or dispenser.

I always get a chuckle seeing a woman on the dance floor in the evening, with a big, full purse slung over her shoulder.  Even if it contains lots of items essential to her, she could have left it on her seat or table, to hold her place.  No one is going to steal it while she dances.

• Like 1