Book direct or through travel agent?

tiwi

I recently asked a question on how to find a TA.  However, I always book a cruise directly with the cruise line.  The only reason I inquired about finding a TA is if we decided to go on a transatlantic cruise, we would definitely want a TA to make all travel arrangements from flights, hotels, and the cruise.  They know which areas are considered to be safe and special tours.

Therefore, IMO, I would only book through a travel agency if I were traveling to an airport out of our country.  For cruises departing the U.S., I would deal directly with the cruise line.

• Haha 1

I know TA recommendations are not allowed, and I am NOT asking for that.  I would just like to understand what is meant by "Big Box" TA.  I understand local or regional, but what are some examples of what you all are referring to as "Big Box" companies?

I'm guessing it would be fine to refer to Carnival as a "Big Box" cruise line, so I am hoping someone can prove some examples for context.

3 minutes ago, Screasy said:

I know TA recommendations are not allowed, and I am NOT asking for that.  I would just like to understand what is meant by "Big Box" TA.  I understand local or regional, but what are some examples of what you all are referring to as "Big Box" companies?

I'm guessing it would be fine to refer to Carnival as a "Big Box" cruise line, so I am hoping someone can prove some examples for context.

Exactly why no one can mention the names of any big box stores that offer a TA service. You're going to have use your imagination and use google. I wouldn't refer to any cruise line as "big box". 

1 hour ago, Screasy said:

To me, a "Big Box" TA is an Internet/phone only, no store front (could possibly have a store front at their home office), dozens/hundreds of agents that are all interchangeable, Impersonal, not local, and that only deal in a specific type of travel arm, like cruising.  

EDITED IN:  A "Big Box" TA may, if requested, handle some ancillary items surrounding cruising, hotel & flight for example.

Edited by Ret MP

2 hours ago, Screasy said:

"Big box" refers to the structure where the TA is housed and that you likely visit.  Just search on the term and lots of examples will pop up for you.  Not trying to dance around the question but it is against rules to name any TA. 🙂 

23 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

All the OBC unless it is the small group or early booking or promotional OBC that Royal offers comes out of the TA's commission.

Every TA operates under a different business model.  Big box stores have very little overhead as they operate from a call center or in some cases the agents work from home.  They may be paid a low hourly wage plus a very small portion of the commission as they are really just order takers and not travel agents.  The big box or discount on line TA's then have the room to be able to rebate part of their commission.  Royal has strict rules on what can and can't be done with respect to this and limits the amount that can be offered and how it is offered.

Smaller TA's that operate their own business may have a storefront and other operating costs so they can't afford to give up part of their commission.

Independent TA's that work for large companies may only receive a small % of the commission after corporate and the franchisee (who also operates a storefront) take the majority leaving the TA with 30 to 40% of the initial commission.  Pretty hard for a TA to match what the big box store is offering when they don't even make that much.

There really are so many variable that it's not fair to expect that just because one set of TA's can do it that they all should be able to (that was just a general comment and not related to what you posted)

With respect the the comment about JS's.

Royal offers group space for balconies and below. Those rates are available through a TA who has access to the group space.  These rates in addition to being refundable are also lower in the vast majority of cases that the non refundable rates that Royal offers.  Junior suites and above are not offered in group space so the pricing that a TA has will be identical to the price Royal has.

Informative post!  Thanks, you are always a remarkable wealth of knowledge...

Also, I love when people tell me I'm wrong about something I spend every day working in.  It's my regular reminder to limit my social media interactions.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tree_skier said:

Informative post!  Thanks, you are always a remarkable wealth of knowledge...

Also, I love when people tell me I'm wrong about something I spend every day working in.  It's my regular reminder to limit my social media interactions.

I wasn't going to go there but I totally agree.  When I'm seeking knowledge of something, I'll accept the word of a person that works within that something (profession) over someone that isn't/doesn't.  I don't mind opinion about things, I just get turned off when someone tells a professional that they are wrong about something, especially without back-up.  No, not all professionals are perfect, that's for sure.  But, at face value, I'll accept their words as authoritative until proven otherwise and if the subject is important to me, I'll still do what I can to research it.  There words are just a starting point for me, if it's that important to me.

I have always booked my cruises, with one exception, while onboard.  I have two different TA's.  The one I have used the longest does not provide OBC, free speciality restaurant meals, etc.. She is an independent, working in an office of herself and one other.  What she provides is very personalized service.  The one cruise I did not book while on ship was when we decided to switch a cruise from a S2S to a B2B two weeks before the cruise.  She was able to cancel the one cruise and book us on the consecutive sailing, but we had to change rooms. 

The second TA gives a very good OBC and is part of an organization and gives very good service as well as a nice amount of OBC.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Screasy said:

Google is a wonderful thing:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/big_box_retailer.asp