Which Norway cruise

Cubix25

Hoping to do a 7day cruise between now and January in and around Norway, ideally as far North as possible with the hope of getting the Northern Lights. We did our first med cruise a couple of weeks ago and quickly realised that the destinations were not as fabulous as they advertised as some days we were at least 1-1.5hrs away each way from certain citys. So to maximize the 7days can any recommend a cruise possibly starting from Bergen (flexible) and heading north or am I missing a trick not doing bottom part. Thanks

I am hardly an authority - my first Norway sailing is about a month in the future, but I have some suggestions.

Take a look at some of the Norway home ported lines - like Viking and Hurtigruten in their sections here on the forums

Also take a look at the Northern Europe and Baltic forum here on CC https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

I suggest you visit www.cruisetimetables.com and choose some of the northern Norway ports as your ‘cruise to’.  It will show you who is calling there, and their itineraries.  I’m not seeing anything 7 days, all are 12-15 days.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Hurtigruten is an option - just note that it’s not a ‘regular cruise line’ - it’s a ferry service along the Norwegian coast with 34 port stops from Bergen to Kirkenes in 6 nights and back to Bergen in 5 nights. It’s a fantastic voyage - one longer stop each day.

My recommendation is the train from Oslo to Bergen - few days in Bergen and then Hurtigruten to Kirkenes.

You can do the Bergen to Kirkenes part in 6 days and then flight from Kirkenes back to Oslo.

you can get some inspiration in this video

On 9/26/2022 at 6:06 PM, Cubix25 said:

Hoping to do a 7day cruise between now and January in and around Norway, ideally as far North as possible with the hope of getting the Northern Lights.

Hello Cubix, good advice above.  Look also at Fred Olsen maybe departing from Liverpool or Newcastle could work for you coming from Ireland.  and have a look over on the P and O UK board as there is lots of discussion of Norway itineraries offered by P and O and discussion of the ports etc. I think Hurtigruten may have Newcastle departures as well, check it out.   

Be warned that the weather may be terrible, the saga northern lights cruise in February missed a lot of its scheduled ports because of weather (see reviews) but they did see the lights.  

Re the train suggestion above, Norwegian railways offers a day trip they call 'Norway in a nutshell' which uses the train then the Flam railway and a boat trip, then rejoins the main train line to Bergen.  

I did a Bergen to Kirkenes trip on Hurtigruten in December 2019, and it was a fabulous trip. I would highly recommend Hurtigruten for Norway and points north.
Because their ships stop at all the little villages to drop off transit passengers and cargo, you get a much different perspective than you would if you were sailing on a typical cruise. The excursion offerings were first rate and quite memorable.

We saw the Northern Lights, just be prepared for the cold. When we embarked in Bergen we signed up for the  Northern Lights occurrence announcements. This meant that regardless of the time of night that we would receive notification directly in our cabin that the lights were present. You then dress quickly and rush out, and then wait for the most incredible sight! If I were doing this trip again I would extend on the end a spend and day or two in Kirkenes. 

Edited by biggerbearmom
  • Thanks 1

And remember that regardless which cruise you take, there can't be ever 100% guarantee that you will see auroras, even if there would be suitable space weather, you will need a clear dark skies to actually see anything. Also be prepared that this phenomenon might occur in middle of night rather than soon after sunset or right before sunrise (assuming you are not above the artic circle during the polar night).