Flights to Galveston, Texas area

MrsK

We are going on our first cruise out of Galveston Texas on the NCL Prima.

We are trying to figure out flights and there does not seem to be easy solution

We live in Southwestern Ontario and our preferred airport is Detroit, Michigan but we would consider others if they are within reasonable reach for us.

Just wondering what others have done for flights to get to Texas to sail out of Galveston?

Thanks for any advice.

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Hobby HOU is closer  than IAH  but  neither are easy  to get to Galveston

Check Gulf Coast  forum

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/316-gulf-coast-departures/

We only has the option for fly into IAH.  We spent two nights before in the Houston area then spent the night before the cruise in Galveston.  
There is only one car rental place on the island, Enterprise.  I was not able to get a one way rental. 
We originally picked up a rental at IAH and planned to return it in La Marque, about 13 miles from Galveston.  We were going to drive to Galveston, pick up the car rental, drive back and drop the first rental off in La Marque. 
But when we got to Galveston Enterprise they didn't have a car for us.  They called my home phone number to confirm the rental a couple days before.  We had already left on our trip.  We extended the original rental and the day of the cruise I drove back to La Marque to drop it off and took an Uber back to Galveston.  
We took an Uber to the terminal.  Uber is not supposed to be able to enter the terminal, Lyft is (there is a fee they have to pay that Uber chose not to pay). but they let our driver go right in a drop us off. 

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

We only has the option for fly into IAH.  We spent two nights before in the Houston area then spent the night before the cruise in Galveston.  
There is only one car rental place on the island, Enterprise.  I was not able to get a one way rental. 

Not sure why you quoted me

I am not the OP

They can fly from YYZ to HOU  on AA but not  a non stop

Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions.

We have booked our flight.  DTW to IAH non stop on Delta. We also have booked our motel for Galveston for the night we arrive.

Now we just have to make transportation arrangements for between the airport and motel and cruise port.

I do appreciate all of your comments and suggestions.

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

There is  a shuttle service

https://galvestonlimo.com/airport-shuttle/

If the hotel has free cruise parking consider just renting a car at IAH  that is what we do when we visit family  there

Thank you for that link, LHT28. I come into Galveston next year from Southampton.  I have departed Galveston before and used a shuttle service from Houston to the port. It worked out very well.  

• Like 1

Interesting discussion, thanks for all the tips. We've sailed out of Galveston only once so far, but owing to the distance from airport to hotel and the fact that it was our first time out of Galveston, chose to use the cruise line (Princess) transfers to greatly simplify the process. We flew in the day before, stayed at an airport hotel, then the morning of the trip, walked to the baggage claim area and boarded a bus for the long drive. Added benefit that our bags went directly to our rooms so we didn't need to manhandle them at the pier. It was of course a bit more expensive than a DIY solution, but worth it to us at the time.

4 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Interesting discussion, thanks for all the tips. We've sailed out of Galveston only once so far, but owing to the distance from airport to hotel and the fact that it was our first time out of Galveston, chose to use the cruise line (Princess) transfers to greatly simplify the process. We flew in the day before, stayed at an airport hotel, then the morning of the trip, walked to the baggage claim area and boarded a bus for the long drive. Added benefit that our bags went directly to our rooms so we didn't need to manhandle them at the pier. It was of course a bit more expensive than a DIY solution, but worth it to us at the time.

The  private shuttles  are not cheap 

Probably close to Princess pricing

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

The  private shuttles  are not cheap 

Probably close to Princess pricing

The other downside to cruise line transfers is the "communal" nature where you may share a ride with  others, vs a dedicated shuttle/Uber/taxi. Still, it worked great for us at the time.

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

This is what I did pre-covid.

Worked out so much cheaper to stay in an airport hotel and then take the (Carnival) shuttle to the port the next morning.

I have stayed in Galveston once and used the Galveston/limo/shuttle service but think it stopped at 4pm so was no good for later flights.

• Like 1