From King Crab to Poi-almost live from Koningsdam Alaska to Hawaii and back

Clay Clayton

What a day!  After the previous three days of waking up to an alarm that started with a 6😳 we enjoyed sleeping in this morning. Mike said he doesn’t think he likes a cruise like this where all the port days are jammed together. 

After a lido breakfast (we had room service the last three days), we headed out to buy a Holo (bus card) at the closest 7-11.  This reloadable card cost $2 and we loaded it with $7.50 which is the max amount you have to pay per day in the Honolulu bus system. Each trip cost $3 if paid in cash but with the card, once you spend the $7.50 the rest are “free”. We ended up taking 5 trips for a total cost of $9.50 each-such a deal!

We stupidly got on the wrong bus (I knew it when we did it but didn’t say anything) so we got off when we could and had to walk a bit further than we meant to do.  

Our plan had been to find a shady spot on Waikiki and spend some time in the ocean, but due to our late start and the bus mishap, it was pushing 11 when we made it to the beach so no chairs or umbrellas left to be rented.  So, we found a nice spot overlooking the beach at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel’s bar and cafe instead. We had plantation tea (unsweet tea and pineapple juice) and some poké. Mike held down the fort while I took a dip in the beautiful water.  But it was terribly hot and Sunny so I quickly returned to the shade. 

We bussed back to the ship, had a bite of lunch and split the music (spam sushi) that Mike bought (don’t think he will be buying another) and spent some time in the pool. 

About 4:15, after showers and changing clothes we bused back to Waikiki to complete the progressive luau we started yesterday at “House without a Key.”  Yesterday was the food part, this afternoon was the music and dancing. 

The venue was beautiful, on the water, a view towards sunset, and comfortable seating.  The MaiTais while expensive were delicious as was the Poké and Fries we order as a snack.  But it was the music and the dancer that made it a perfect end to our stay here.  The trio’s voices were amazing especially the ukulele player who at times sounded like Maria Callas singing Hawaiian folk songs😂. Of course, having Miss Hawaii, USA and Universe 1997 Brook Lee dance the hula for us was pretty special also. But the beautiful sunset, was the topping on the cake. 

So as you may recall, we elected to not do a traditional luau due to the high cost, what appeared for the YouTube videos we watched to be food no better than your local cafeteria, and the huge crowds eating at picnic tables. We figured for no more money and hopefully less, we could have a much more enjoyable time tasting real Hawaiian food and going to see a more intimate performance. We are very happy with our decision. Folks we spoke wkth who attended the HAL sponsored Luau excursion yesterday were very disappointed for all the reasons we afeared!  We spent $100 yesterday on food, and $166 tonight on drinks and snacks (I told you the mai tai were expensive-$22 each but worth it!) so we saved $70 over what the HAL luau would have cost the both of us and I KNOW we enjoyed it a lot more!

A68EB783-6662-4C43-B595-04981AEACE80.jpeg

3FE964F2-CD1F-4F80-8923-B48EE419FFD8.jpeg

D1D4C00C-BFC2-4D3A-AE77-12783701AEF8.jpeg

D1A901FF-8297-4AE0-A9EF-5D123A6AA5E2.jpeg

52195215-4641-42E3-BDD6-37C27A9B7142.jpeg

C329A87A-FC98-4143-9A0E-D183589E220F.jpeg

5E57A04F-D87A-45A5-890E-4AFD80A930D1.jpeg

8F5AC7BF-6DD8-4040-8B84-A6115A52CB12.jpeg

467480BE-5230-444C-B61F-2087B1CF2F4B.jpeg

103ADE5E-0B98-45D9-9490-C252F997D62C.jpeg

0CCDF0B5-3B7E-4C93-858E-F23AE8DDE6B6.jpeg

770A84D9-FAC6-40D2-9B1D-235FBFA8CA72.jpeg

F4C26B05-C332-4DD7-ABBF-733AE66F77B9.jpeg

A4FED83F-377D-4C57-9E8A-B28CAD2E56D2.jpeg

1C7A2D97-1443-4721-B7D5-DAB3DC20CF95.jpeg

985D4EE8-87B3-4D26-A2A5-0D0909F9EDFF.jpeg

F531EA71-F7F0-46D5-BAEC-89F833CF8107.jpeg

A5B9FCF0-9995-473F-A7F1-DE3447595F84.jpeg

57A8406B-FFC5-4356-8334-72234EA1F529.jpeg

13B5E9F1-AB8F-4F96-BCB3-675B0DD65E02.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from (almost) Nawiliwili, Kauai. Up and hour earlier than we need to be as we failed to check the “When&Where” last night before bed (I’m gonna blame the 2nd MaiTai😂) and they changed arrival time from 7 to 8. Makes for an even shorter day here which was already too short!  Now we only have 6.5 hours (if we want to be in a pier runner video!). 

49D972C4-6163-49D5-AECB-04A82E03D6E4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last Day in Hawaii-October 18-Sunny and 83° which is just about perfect. 

We didn’t get a call that we had cleared the waitlist for the Grand Canyon Excursion and after our great time in the water here we are so glad the phone never rang!

We arrived later than expected and weren’t able to get off the ship until 8:45 or so.  We took the complimentary shuttle to the nearby shopping center that is adjacent to a beautiful beach in front of the Royal Sonesta Hotel (formerly Marriott). We found shade under some trees and plopped down our towel and spent the next two and a half hours floating in the beautiful water.  

Between last night at sunset and today here, the perfect end to our Hawaiian sojourn.  I’m writing this from the beach and then we are headed back to the ship, will probably walk as it’s less than 1/2 a mile.  Then we sailway at 3 with our last stop (and post) being in Vancouver on October 24th. Until then …..

Aloha!

84332AB2-B3E5-4BC1-A1A8-05255F3FB569.jpeg

7CB22341-55DF-4C2F-AE6B-FE2C3D913662.jpeg

74F180E5-4473-453F-9E8F-D69CE54D59C6.jpeg

CD6668F3-8F64-4055-97CA-5D7350D56831.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 11

Just now, Sleep7 said:

👋Hi Clay!

LOVING your posts.. your humor, the pictures.. the details.. the pure happiness of being on vacation.

Thank you for sharing such a fun time with us!😍

What is this “vacation” of which you speak?😂

Glad you’ve been enjoying-nice to hear. 

FEADB17F-59F3-4DF7-BD45-D3A3E9CDF083.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

... we sailway at 3 with our last stop (and post) being in Vancouver on October 24th. Until then …..

Wishing you fair winds and following seas for your voyage over the next week.  I assume you are going to again shuttle between Vancouver and Seattle.  I recall a flight we were taking to Europe back in 2016 that originated out of Vancouver and was supposed to start with a shuttle to Seattle then a transfer to a Delta flight to Amsterdam... the morning fog backed up the shuttle flights and we would miss our connecting flight out of SeaTac so we ended up staying the night in Vancouver before catching an Air France flight the next day.  While Vancouver is nice, we would have preferred the additional day in Europe.  I certainly hope your shuttle from Vancouver to Seattle goes well.  How long of a layover in Seattle will you have?

• Like 1

Clay, thanks for taking the time to do these posts and share all of your adventures with us.  I've loved reading it, and your photos in particular from House without a Key bring back really special memories of our 30th anniversary, which we spent there with new friends who are now dear friends, who were celebrating their 20th.  The trio was different, but we also had the treat of a hula dance by Brook Lee.  All in, a really special evening.  So glad you and Mike got to experience it, and end your Hawaii sojourn on such a high note in Kauai.   Hope your return voyage is relaxing and uneventful!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bennybear said:

Love the Royal Hawaiian, aka the pink palace!  What a great idea the progressive luau! 

One of my favorite Hawaiian memories during a cruise was having lunch at the Royal Hawaiian at an outdoor restaurant that overlooked the beach.  

On 10/18/2022 at 6:01 PM, Clay Clayton said:

We took the complimentary shuttle to the nearby shopping center that is adjacent to a beautiful beach in front of the Royal Sonesta Hotel (formerly Marriott).

I was unaware that the hotel has changed brands again.  I stayed there during the '80's when it was the Kauai Surf.  Photos of the property show it has expanded quite a bit.  It was a delightful and elegant hotel as a Surf Hotel property!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

I would walk on hot coals for that Dole pineapple whip. 🍍 Fabulous!

I've never had a Dole pineapple whip.  I Googled to find out more and found some recipes... one had banana and one did not. 

Which sounds more authentic? 

What the heck... why not try both... and maybe even try another adding some rum.... hummm

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, UWDawg said:

Neither. They make it from a powdered mix that has guar gum and starches. I think the banana is added in the Dole recipe to mimic the mouthfeel with ingredients consumers can easily get. Disney shared a recipe when the parks were closed in 2020 that had ice cream added for the same effect. 
Real Dole Whip is vegan now I believe. 

• Like 1

Just catching up on your posts.  Such beautiful photos and videos.  I have always loved the Royal Hawaiian (I call it the pink palace since my parents took me there when I was 15 years old).

Thanks for taking us along on your cruise.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UWDawg said:

I've never had a Dole pineapple whip.  I Googled to find out more and found some recipes... one had banana and one did not. 

What the heck... why not try both... and maybe even try another adding some rum.... hummm

The Dole recipe linked above sounds right to me. 

Clay Clayton.... question.... did any of your all aboard times change or where you expected to go ashore  from what was indicated on itinerary.

Thanks.

Edited by jo-v

On 10/21/2022 at 3:05 PM, jo-v said:

Clay Clayton.... question.... did any of your all aboard times change or where you expected to go ashore  from what was indicated on itinerary.

Thanks.

Not Clay but, for the Circle Hawaii portion, the all aboard times did not change from itinerary. Kauai port day was shortened because of arriving later and the all aboard had been set at 2:30 PM prior to sailing.

On 10/19/2022 at 4:36 PM, rkacruiser said:

One of my favorite Hawaiian memories during a cruise was having lunch at the Royal Hawaiian at an outdoor restaurant that overlooked the beach.  

I was unaware that the hotel has changed brands again.  I stayed there during the '80's when it was the Kauai Surf.  Photos of the property show it has expanded quite a bit.  It was a delightful and elegant hotel as a Surf Hotel property!  

Keep in mind that you have the hotel, and you also have Marriot Vacation club located adjacent to each other.  

On 10/21/2022 at 4:05 PM, jo-v said:

Thanks.

Not for us but for those who had booked earlier they did. Originally LaHaina and longer in Nawiliwili. 

• Thanks 1

Mornin from Vancouver!

finishing breakfast and then headed to the train station to take the 11:30 am bus to Seattle to take the light rail to SEA where our red eye 🤮 doesn’t leave until 11 tonight.  Scheduled to be in Philly at dawn and Raleigh at noon.  Long day!

• Like 5

October 19-6th Sea Day

72° Windy, Cloudy, Rocking & Rolling!

What a difference a day makes! For the past five days “our table” was usually taken and the surrounding area full of sun worshippers.  Not this morning. Almost empty!  Guess the wind and cooler temperatures have run them all inside-or maybe because the clock sprung forward overnight they are all still in bed? Or maybe the pretty heavy movement has some feeling the mal de mer?   Hopefully that isn’t the case but I have to say that for such a big ship, Koningsdam seems to move more than I would expect.  We had similar conditions on Celebrity Millennium (smaller) and I don’t remember her moving nearly this much. 

After breakfast, we read for a bit before heading to the World Stage for a lecture about Captain Cook. Had meant to attend BEFORE we arrived in Hawaii but something else got in the way.  The lectures are given (read) by Jaime the Cruise and Travel Director (I need to find out what the Travel Director duties entail).  

I’ve enjoyed the lectures I’ve attended. 

You may wonder where we are sitting. During our first attendance of a performance in the World Stage we couldn’t find a seat in the auditorium proper and discovered the “box seats” on each side.  While the view is somewhat obscured, the amazing theatre equipment makes up for it and the ability to have enhanced legroom and to move around as the seating isn’t fixed. Just as we have “our table” out back, we also have “our seats” in the theatre😂

After the lecture I went to the balcony to read while Mike did his two miles around the promenade.  I need to be doing it also but my blisters have healed but are still tender so trying to keep from getting more. 

The Captain announced at lunch that the seas should calm some this afternoon after the wind changes if the weatherman is correct.  He also stated we have to average 19.6 knots to be in Vancouver on time.  Perhaps that is part of the reason we are rocking and rolling so much.  Most ships I have been on tend to cruise around 17 kts or so.  Lastly, he requested that everyone wear masks (very few do) as they have seen an increase in the number of cases of COVID aboard.  No mention of how many that actually is. Mike and I have worn ours whenever we are in crowded areas-theatre, buffet, and when moving through the ship.  Hope that practice continues to keep us healthy🤞

HAL had a naturalist onboard for the Alaska cruise who continued on to Hawaii. He was informed but it was difficult to ask him a question as once he started talking he hardly took a breath.  Perhaps after a summer in Alaska, he knew what the next question was going to be so just went ahead and provided the information without waiting?🤔.  In any case, enjoyed hearing from the new one, her first lecture is about surviving her encounter with a bear! 

After the lecture, we headed to the Royal Dutch Cafe which is open during the day and offers coffee and a number of small bites.  For those from the Viking Cruises board that I know are traveling along with us, it’s sorta a combination of Mamsen’s and The Living Room.  After our late breakfast, we had decided we would have a light lunch here today after attending the naturalist lecture and before attending the Q&A with the Billboard Onboard artists (whom we feel like we already know).   The split pea soup was tasty as was the grilled ham & cheese sandwich.  The fries were the best we have had onboard.  

We split a piece of the very delicious apple pie (would be incredible if they had ice cream handy to put on top)during the interview with Tammy & Joey.  

We then returned to the room where I finished book #4 before we headed down to Trivia. We tied for 2nd with six other teams but missed out on the tie-breaker.  For future reference, Costa Rica’s literacy rate is 97%, the highest in Central American.

We returned to the room and watched “Belfast”.  I’m impressed with HAL’s library of movies available on demand.  There is a good selection of recent and classic movies. 

We changed out of our shorts and caught the last half of Tammy & Joey’s first set.  He (like many others it appears) is feeling the effects of the rough seas (actually they don’t appear that rough but as I mentioned before K’dam doesn’t seem to handle them very well. 

We then went to the Dining Room where we had our second dinner from the Indian menu. Like the first night we really enjoyed it.  We decided tomorrow will likely be our last chance to dine outside so we didn’t preorder it for tomorrow. Our dinner tonight included an appetizer of a potato cake with a really tasty cilantro sauce, a bowl of soup made out of lentils that we shared, chicken korma, a dish that I thought was just mashed lentils but our nextdoor Indian friends told me was made by cooking lentils and rice together. The dessert was rice pudding which had a funky taste that neither of us appreciated. I’m going to ask our table neighbors tomorrow what they thought of it. I suspect we will order from the Indian menu at least one more time before we disembark. 

After dinner, we returned to the room. We noticed fewer people in the dining room and more folks wearing masks so decided that since none of the entertainment tonight particularly appealed there wasn’t a reason to tempt the covid gods. 

0E8257BC-4166-4C88-8EBC-992C50DCE3CB.jpeg

73202461-2A3B-452E-8D33-2304B7A29FE3.jpeg

3139C879-C34E-4BAA-951F-460178D7EDF9.jpeg

245DCA24-8805-4FD1-A8D3-9E2AF3AD0456.jpeg

25238841-1C8B-4DDC-AFAA-64326A4BA160.jpeg

B24E54DB-B8EA-41D5-AD0E-606D18121C4C.jpeg

8709C0D0-8B39-48CA-B88D-17AC5E03A046.jpeg

54F70EA9-1807-44EE-B5AF-C3EE54C921D4.jpeg

E16A3585-7DC5-4946-82DF-74BB4C79BF73.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Mornin from Vancouver!

finishing breakfast and then headed to the train station to take the 11:30 am bus to Seattle to take the light rail to SEA where our red eye 🤮 doesn’t leave until 11 tonight.  Scheduled to be in Philly at dawn and Raleigh at noon.  Long day!

We have found that the app dayuse is great and there are hotels listed right by the airport for today that have rooms available. You can hang out with a real room and relax and use all the hotel facilities.  

@Clay Clayton - I've really been enjoying your posts on Alaska and Hawaii!  Grab some Band-Aid blister bandages before your next trip.  They have both heel and toe varieties.  The key is to put them on BEFORE you have the blister (when you're just feeling some irritation) and then leave them on.  They stay put through showers and the pool and are a life saver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1