personal docs

xray0111

What personal documents do you take with you on a Caribbean cruise from US?

Examples would be things like passport, birth certificate, marriage license, physical copy of credit card, SS card, significant other, etc.

I'm referring to US citizen, physical copies (nothing on cellphone).

Thanks, XRAY

9 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Passport 

period 

That plus my DL and credit card.  I have copies of everything in my computer, which is mirrored to OneDrive, and I can access it all from my phone or anywhere with an Internet connection.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, xray0111 said:

Examples would be things like passport, birth certificate, marriage license, physical copy of credit card, SS card, significant other, etc.

You don't need birth certificate if you have a passport.  You don't need marriage license.  You shouldn't carry your social security card with you in case you lose it or it's stolen.  Significant other?  Yes, I guess you should take the original rather than a copy.  😁

• Haha 8

9 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

So a DL works if you lose your passport, but it doesn't if you don't have a passport?  

If you don't have a passport on a closed loop Caribbean cruise (which was the original question), an EDL which are issued by most states including Florida works just fine.  If your state doesn't currently support the EDL, then you need both a DL and a birth certificate. As for why we carry our passports, we both have travelled internationally for business for more than 40 years, and carrying our passports is as much a habit as anything.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, orville99 said:

If you don't have a passport on a closed loop Caribbean cruise (which was the original question), an EDL which are issued by most states including Florida works just fine.  If your state doesn't currently support the EDL, then you need both a DL and a birth certificate. As for why we carry our passports, we both have travelled internationally for business for more than 40 years, and carrying our passports is as much a habit as anything.

EDL works, yes, but they are only issued in five northern border states, and FL is not one of them.  Real ID, which is offered in most states is not sufficient for a passport or birth certificate substitute.

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they

And, yes, I carry my passport for all cruises, regardless where they sail from.  My response was if you LOSE your passport, then having a birth certificate would help.  But, regardless, I don't carry my BC.

Edited by Another_Critic

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

That plus my DL and credit card.  I have copies of everything in my computer, which is mirrored to OneDrive, and I can access it all from my phone or anywhere with an Internet connection.  

Ditto. Oh, and my vaccine card that is also on my phone.  Problem is no one allows for a 3rd document to be uploaded, and my vaccine card with 2 vaccines and 3 boosters is a 3 pic upload.

Edited by pcur

The basics -- absolutely essential: 

- Passport 

OR 

- Birth certificate + driver's license or state ID card + marriage license as a "bridge document", if your name differs from your birth name.  This is "enough".  

In addition: 

- Printed copy of your Set Sail Pass -- okay, not 100% necessary, as you can show it on your phone -- but I like having it printed /in hand.  

- Driver's license -- because, well, shouldn't you always have it?  We drive to the port, so we obviously need ours.  

- Insurance card(s), including your cruise travel insurance information + contact phone number.  Likely you won't need your insurance during your cruise, but insurance is, by nature, a better-safe-than-sorry item.  

- Credit card(s) -- yes, you'll give your number as a part of your online check-in, but you also want to have the physical card.  And if you do any shopping on the islands, you may want it. 

- Covid vaccination card -- may or may not be necessary, depending upon your cruise details. 

Don't be stupid rules: 

- Bundle your documents up in some way to keep them safe /together.  This could be a simple ziplock bag or a fancy zippered travel wallet. 

- Use your phone to take a photograph of all your documents, including the back side of your credit card (so you'll have the phone number to call in case of loss).  Likely you won't need these photographs, but IF you should be pickpocketed, you'll be awfully glad to have these photographs.  You don't want anyone else to have access to these documents, so put a lock on your phone. 

- As soon as you arrive in your stateroom, put all your documents in your safe and keep them locked up.  You won't need them on the ship.  If you feel it necessary to carry them ashore, have a plan to keep them secure and use the most extreme caution.  

A note on losing documents:  As we were waiting in line to disembark on our recent cruise, we saw a woman standing off to the side with her luggage, and she was crying.  We thought to ourselves, "She's lost her passport (or whatever), and her husband is back to the room looking for it."  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

2 hours ago, pcur said:

Ditto. Oh, and my vaccine card that is also on my phone.  Problem is no one allows for a 3rd document to be uploaded, and my vaccine card with 2 vaccines and 3 boosters is a 3 pic upload.

You could always scan them, then combine them into one image.  

Besides the obvious, passport etc. bring more than one credit card.  I've heard horror stories about the CC company freezing a card due to suspected fraud.  You don't want to be left without a card.  Also, if you purchased trip insurance bring a hard copy or have it electronically accessible. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, orville99 said:

Florida does not issue EDL

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Florida does not issue EDL

Real ID is classified by DHS as an Enhanced Drivers License. It has different limitations than the EDL issued by five states, but it is the standard for virtually all the other 45 states.

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Real ID is classified by DHS as an Enhanced Drivers License. It has different limitations than the EDL issued by five states, but it is the standard for virtually all the other 45 states.

You can not use your Real ID license on a closed loop cruise, it is NOT proof of citizenship 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

A note on losing documents:  As we were waiting in line to disembark on our recent cruise, we saw a woman standing off to the side with her luggage, and she was crying.  We thought to ourselves, "She's lost her passport (or whatever), and her husband is back to the room looking for it."  

This might have been me. I didn't loose any documents and no husband but when I disembarked a few cruises ago, I accidentally took someone else's luggage (looked like mine) and only discovered it after I had called Uber. I quickly cancelled Uber and asked the RCI agent outside the terminal if I could go back in and retrieve my luggage. The answer was a plain and simple NO. Okay then, I asked him if HE could do it and again the answer was a resounding NO.

To make a long story short, I had to wait outside in the Miami heat until the last passenger disembarked and only then did Border Patrol / Customs allow the RCI agent in to get my luggage and return the luggage I accidentally took. This was 3 hours later. The takeaway I got from this experience is that going forward I always take my luggage with me when disembarking and never put it outside my cabin the night before!!!

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Besides the obvious, passport etc. bring more than one credit card.  I've heard horror stories about the CC company freezing a card due to suspected fraud.  You don't want to be left without a card.  Also, if you purchased trip insurance bring a hard copy or have it electronically accessible. 

Yes, having a backup credit card is a wise choice.  

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

This might have been me. I didn't loose any documents and no husband but when I disembarked a few cruises ago, I accidentally took someone else's luggage (looked like mine) and only discovered it after I had called Uber. I quickly cancelled Uber and asked the RCI agent outside the terminal if I could go back in and retrieve my luggage. The answer was a plain and simple NO. Okay then, I asked him if HE could do it and again the answer was a resounding NO.

To make a long story short, I had to wait outside in the Miami heat until the last passenger disembarked and only then did Border Patrol / Customs allow the RCI agent in to get my luggage and return the luggage I accidentally took. This was 3 hours later. The takeaway I got from this experience is that going forward I always take my luggage with me when disembarking and never put it outside my cabin the night before!!!

What a horrible story!  

Yes, we solidly believe in self-disembarkation.  We also believe in making our luggage look "a little different".  I remember seeing a family on our very first cruise (before we understood why self-disembarkation is such a good thing) who really had their act together:  they were an extended family, so they had loads of luggage, and every single piece of it had a laminated sunshine attached.  Just a simple yellow-and-orange sunshine, but it was easy to identify at a glance.  One of the dads was pulling the family's stuff off the conveyor belt and tossing it to the waiting teens, who ran it back over to the family.  I watched and learned.  

But, no, the woman I saw was still on the ship -- so she couldn't have been you -- we were all exiting from Deck 4, and she was pulled out of line and was standing with an officer.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury