No masks required for crew

TrueCruiseaholic

On 10/4/2022 at 1:11 PM, C4HCG said:

Not me. If lifts are more than half full I wait. Which brings me to another topic to add to the long complaints list, people who are clearly fit and well getting a lift down one or two floors. That’s me done with this thread, off to start another 😂going for the title of the Boards biggest complainer 👍. Some strong competition for that title here 😁😁😁

Just as a reminder, not all disabilities or things that cause issues with stairs are visible and require something like walkers, canes, or chairs. You can't tell just by looking at someone that they are "clearly fit and well".

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Just as a reminder, not all disabilities or things that cause issues with stairs are visible and require something like walkers, canes, or chairs. You can't tell just by looking at someone that they are "clearly fit and well".

🙈 please see previous responses, with respect I don’t need another lecture on this. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

How do you define “clearly fit”?  I may look clearly fit and can walk fine most times but sometimes my hip bursitis bothers me and I am in terrible pain going up and down stairs.  Don’t judge a book by its cover!  You have no idea what is going on with someone’s health.  

Perfect example. I have hip issues from a childhood injury - I can walk on flat surfaces fine and would appear "clearly" healthy there, but when it is acting up, if I'm doing stairs it is painful and obvious. But not on stairs? You'd never know to watch me walk.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Perfect example. I have hip issues from a childhood injury - I can walk on flat surfaces fine and would appear "clearly" healthy there, but when it is acting up, if I'm doing stairs it is painful and obvious. But not on stairs? You'd never know to watch me walk.

I have knee problems.  And sometimes my knee just doesn't want to work. It sucks falling down the stairs.  No more stairs for me.  I rarely use a cane because I always leave it somewhere on a cruise. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

For me it’s fairly obvious I’m not for & healthy as I walk with a stick. It’s especially useful on the tube. I usually always get a seat. 

If not, you can always use the stick to whack some Gen-Xer that pretends you're not there when sitting in one that says "Please offer this seat"! 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Everyone? 

Last two days of our 21 September Summit NE/Canada cruise while inside the ship. Recommended but not enforced. Our stateroom attendant left a couple of masks in our stateroom but others we spoke with said they didn't get any masks in their stateroom. Crew didn't get a break from wearing the masks the entire cruise. 

Edited by davekathy

On 10/4/2022 at 9:17 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

So just stay home and isolated.

We all have to make choices and decisions. All of life is a risk - you can get hit by a runaway car while you're walking down the sidewalk, or you can do everything right health-wise and still end up with cancer. Each person can decide what they are comfortable with in all situations.

If someone is so freaked out that even removing their mask to eat or drink is an issue, cruising is not for them right now. If ever. Unless they're renting a private yacht where they supply the crew from people they know are 100% virus free. Then cruising would be ok I guess.

100% agree!   Great post!

• Like 6

On 10/2/2022 at 7:51 PM, SusieAV8R said:

Yes, Celebrity needs to get over the mandatory wearing of masks  There is no absolute safety, either on cruise ships or grocery stores.   AND cloth masks don't stop viruses from entering one's body!

Hear, hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  totally agree

• Like 4

On 10/2/2022 at 10:35 PM, RichYak said:

When I see someone wearing a cloth mask I assume they either have covid or are just virtue signaling. I avoid both those groups of people.

Post of the day award!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 7

Just off 11 nights on the Reflection and after reading so much doom and gloom on here prior to travelling we fully expected to catch covid at some point on the ship! 

However, back home for 4 days now and touch wood we're all clear still. 

I'd say probably less than 1% of passengers were wearing masks on the ship and most of the crew weren't either. After speaking with a few crew members who were wearing them, apparently if they had just boarded the ship they were required to mask up for 5 days. They were all looking forward to day 6 when they could ditch them. 

Throughout the cruise there was zero mention of covid from the captain, apart from when we docked at Athens and he told us that masks would be delivered to each cabin as we had to wear them walking through the cruise terminal at Pireaus. Which was utterly ridiculous as it was literally about a 30 second walk! I don't know whether the person in charge of covid restrictions in Greece has just been on vacation for the last 6 months or so but they really have the stupidest rules still. From the rule about having a supervised test before boarding just because the ship stops in Greece, to wearing a mask in a very quiet and well ventilated port terminal for 30 seconds, to the fact the crew were supposed to wear masks ON BOARD the ship while we were docked at Pireaus. Nonsensical lol. 

Anyway, it was a delight to see unmasked crew, as it was to see a totally packed grand foyer for the silent disco, ABBA night and other events held there. Nobody seemed to care about covid, the cruise could quite easily have been taking place 3yrs ago pre covid. We saw no mass increase in people coughing, spluttering and sneezing half way through the cruise. We did have a few days when we were sneezing and had runny noses but we took a couple of antihistamines/allergy pills and it cleared right up after an hour. Don't automatically assume anyone who sneezes has covid there's a good chance its just allergies! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 10/5/2022 at 9:14 PM, travelwide said:

Have not read this whole thread.....masks are being worn by crew on Summit right now.

This is correct. I’m on this cruise currently also. I have seen extremely few crew not wearing masks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, OysterD said:

Just off 11 nights on the Reflection and after reading so much doom and gloom on here prior to travelling we fully expected to catch covid at some point on the ship! 

However, back home for 4 days now and touch wood we're all clear still. 

I'd say probably less than 1% of passengers were wearing masks on the ship and most of the crew weren't either. After speaking with a few crew members who were wearing them, apparently if they had just boarded the ship they were required to mask up for 5 days. They were all looking forward to day 6 when they could ditch them. 

Throughout the cruise there was zero mention of covid from the captain, apart from when we docked at Athens and he told us that masks would be delivered to each cabin as we had to wear them walking through the cruise terminal at Pireaus. Which was utterly ridiculous as it was literally about a 30 second walk! I don't know whether the person in charge of covid restrictions in Greece has just been on vacation for the last 6 months or so but they really have the stupidest rules still. From the rule about having a supervised test before boarding just because the ship stops in Greece, to wearing a mask in a very quiet and well ventilated port terminal for 30 seconds, to the fact the crew were supposed to wear masks ON BOARD the ship while we were docked at Pireaus. Nonsensical lol. 

Anyway, it was a delight to see unmasked crew, as it was to see a totally packed grand foyer for the silent disco, ABBA night and other events held there. Nobody seemed to care about covid, the cruise could quite easily have been taking place 3yrs ago pre covid. We saw no mass increase in people coughing, spluttering and sneezing half way through the cruise. We did have a few days when we were sneezing and had runny noses but we took a couple of antihistamines/allergy pills and it cleared right up after an hour. Don't automatically assume anyone who sneezes has covid there's a good chance its just allergies! 

Thank you for the positive and common sense post!

• Like 2