Buying a new phone while travelling in the US? Pros and cons?

westcoasttech

I am in the market for a new phone (my current one is about 8 years old, so technically "ancient"), and I'm interested in the newest "fruit" branded model with a good camera option.  I've been having problems finding the model I want in stock up here (West Coast), and as I'm in FL for a few extra days pre-cruise at the end of next month wondering if I could try and pick one up then, so I could use the new "super" camera during my cruise.  Pricing seems just a little cheaper when buying in the US, even allowing for exchange rates, but the savings are not my primary incentive - I just don't want to wait the 6 weeks for shipping, I seem to be seeing from some sources.  Is it practical to try and order one directly from the "fruit" brand to be picked up at a local FL store front while I'm in the area?

I consider myself fairly "techy" when it comes to computers, but not so much when it comes to phones ... hence the 8 year old phone!  I'm looking at changing my service provider here at home anyway, so would it practical to buy a Canadian SIM to take with me to try and set up the phone while I'm in the US?  Or could I use the new phone on wi-fi only without adding a Canadian SIM while onboard, is that even possible?  I would not be planning on using it for calls (and would have my old phone as a backup for any emergency communication needs), but if I could use it for the cruiseline app, that would be helpful.  I'm presuming I could use it just as a camera without doing a full set up to a network?

What do I need to consider if I try and do this?

Make sure it is unlocked

In Canada they have to be 

read the fine print if you are tied to a contract or specific provider

I am cell phone challenged  but when we were looking  for a phone in the USA  we discovered  it was not that cheap in the end

• Like 1

Assuming that you are talking about an iPhone 14, the major issue for you is that US models do not come with a SIM card tray as they only operate on eSIM. So double check with your intended Canadian service provider to see whether or not they can support you. As I understand it, the reason Canada and other countries didn't receive the eSIM-only version was due to some providers not supporting them.  

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Assuming that you are talking about an iPhone 14, the major issue for you is that US models do not come with a SIM card tray as they only operate on eSIM. So double check with your intended Canadian service provider to see whether or not they can support you. As I understand it, the reason Canada and other countries didn't receive the eSIM-only version was due to some providers not supporting them.  

Yeah, iPhone 14, Pro Max model specifically.  I had read that the 14 didn't have a SIM tray and but the CDN network providers still talked about providing a SIM, so that was confusing me!  If they are different physical setup then that makes sense ... and makes it more difficult for me to get it in the US, I guess!  I might have to wait till after my trip to get one here in CDN ☹️

5 minutes ago, westcoasttech said:

Yeah, iPhone 14, Pro Max model specifically.  I had read that the 14 didn't have a SIM tray and but the CDN network providers still talked about providing a SIM, so that was confusing me!  If they are different physical setup then that makes sense ... and makes it more difficult for me to get it in the US, I guess!  I might have to wait till after my trip to get one here in CDN ☹️

I was one of the lucky ones who ordered the 14 Pro Max when the Apple website opened for orders on the 9th and then received it on the 16th. Like you, I had an older model, a 7 Plus, so quite a change, not only in the hardware but with iOS 16.  All I did to start using it was take the card out of the old iPhone and stick it in the new one.

Now, some good news for you. I was curious as to whether or not my provider (Rogers) would accommodate eSIM-only unit, and it seems like yes they do!

Can I use an eSIM-only iPhone 14 or iPhone 14 Pro on the Rogers network? 

Unlocked eSIM-only iPhone 14 or iPhone 14 Pro models can be activated and used on the Rogers network.

You might want to contact the Apple store(s) in Florida where you will be staying to see what their forecast is for availability, or if you can order one now and have it arrive on time.

Good luck!

The caution that I add, is that I was under the impression that in some cases, electronics that are purchased in the USA are not warranty covered for repair in Canada.  You may have to return to the USA to have any warranty repairs?  Check with AppleCare.

I may be totally off base with this....

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

The caution that I add, is that I was under the impression that in some cases, electronics that are purchased in the USA are not warranty covered for repair in Canada.  You may have to return to the USA to have any warranty repairs?  Check with AppleCare.

I may be totally off base with this....

I would second this. At least that’s the way it used to always be. 

Hubby and I are snowbirds who spend up to 6 months a year in Florida.  We got a fantastic offer from T-Mobile a few years ago for BOGO iPhone 8's and we'd never think of switching. Our US$60 plan covers unlimited calling and data in the US, Canada and Mexico for both phones. One caution though, while in Canada we use our home's internet because the plan is not intended to be used full-time here.  Our friends nearly lost their plan because they used the phone's data while at home in Canada.  That's fine with us because we stream our TV and the kids need internet when they visit and work from here. 

We got great coverage in Europe and our kids were able to use our hot spots to catch up on their emails, etc. You can get the warranty thru T-Mobile or Apple, whichever you wish. T-Mobile has the best coverage in the US and we're in remote cottage country in Ontario, yet our phone has no problems, while friends with Canadian plans have issues getting signals.

On 10/4/2022 at 8:51 AM, BatchawanaBabe said:

we're in remote cottage country in Ontario, yet our phone has no problems, while friends with Canadian plans have issues getting signals.

T-mobile has no system in Canada , it piggybacks off One of the Canadian providers 

if is a good signal it probably working with Bell as is usually better than Rogers in rural Ontario 

So something interesting happened during our recent visits to the US (Boston, Chicago and Cedar Rapids).  When I turned my phone on I got a message stating that the cell network has been upgraded and older phones may not work using a 3G or LTE service.  Sure enough my phone (Blackberry Key2) did not work.  I purchased this phone 3 years ago.  So looks like I will need to upgrade my phone when traveling in the US.  Data still worked just calling did not.  I did have roaming on too. 

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or not.  

56 minutes ago, Magicat said:

So something interesting happened during our recent visits to the US (Boston, Chicago and Cedar Rapids).  When I turned my phone on I got a message stating that the cell network has been upgraded and older phones may not work using a 3G or LTE service.  Sure enough my phone (Blackberry Key2) did not work.  I purchased this phone 3 years ago.  So looks like I will need to upgrade my phone when traveling in the US.  Data still worked just calling did not.  I did have roaming on too. 

In Canada , they will stop supporting 3G in 2025/

https://northernbi.com/3g-sunset-update-for-us-and-canadian-network-carriers/

2 hours ago, Magicat said:

The Key 2 should work. You may have to change a phone setting. Call Bell support.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 6:22 PM, broberts said:

The Key 2 should work. You may have to change a phone setting. Call Bell support.

Thanks, I'll do that before traveling to the US in November.  But I fear I will be in a Catch 22 scenario.  My phone doesn't work so I have to call Bell Support, but I can't call Bell Support because my phone is not working.  Roger Roger 😂

2 hours ago, Magicat said:

Thanks, I'll do that before traveling to the US in November.  But I fear I will be in a Catch 22 scenario.  My phone doesn't work so I have to call Bell Support, but I can't call Bell Support because my phone is not working.  Roger Roger 😂

You could call anytime. The setting should not affect local service. Alternatively, you can get the information from Bell Support pages. I was going to post the links, but they are not working at the moment. If I recall correctly, you need to enable voice over LTE. The Key 2 allows one of several network type settings.

Thanks broberts, I wish I could remember what the warning message stated when I turned my phone on in Boston and Chicago.  I see from Bell's network map that both areas have 5G/4GLTE networks.  I'll do a little more digging before I give Bell Support a call.  Again thanks for your assistance.

• 3 weeks later...

Just popping back to say thanks for the info and input.  Yesterday I actually managed to track down the model I wanted (in the colour I wanted!) at the local "fruit" store, so multi-tasked last night between packing for the trip and setting up the phone.  Now I just need to learn all it's new tricks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add and FYI. Many US phones are only useable on the network they are made for. IE: sprint or verizon, etc. Also, many of their phones don't have access to the different bands. IE: 1800, 1500. Something, I learned a couple years ago when looking to buy in the US and use here. Also, as others have said, if the phone is locked to a carrier, it won't work here.

If you happen to be lucky enough to live near the border, I'd just buy a prepaid sim for AT & T or T-mobile as that is the easiest and has options. If you can, Ultra Mobile has a tourist card, good for Canada-USA-Mexico good for 21 days. Data, text, calls $30 US. They also have a $19 US 30 day plan that's almost as good. Both are prepaid and include the sim card. AT & T is the most expensive, but it is also the only one that we never had any issue with at all, but it was $50 US for 30 days.