Share price

Bin man

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

We just bought 100 shares through HL and they are telling me that we won’t get a share certificate and they will handle the application to the cruise line once we give them all the details of our upcoming cruise. Do you think that sounds right? New to share dealing if you hadn’t guessed!

Go into the ‘transaction’ section of your account and you’ll see the proof of the purchase. Print this off and you can use this as your proof. I do this all the time with no issues. If you can’t do it come back to me….

7 minutes ago, devonuk said:

Go into the ‘transaction’ section of your account and you’ll see the proof of the purchase. Print this off and you can use this as your proof. I do this all the time with no issues. If you can’t do it come back to me….

Proof of purchase does not confirm that you still own the shares. On your HL account you will see “PDF version”  at the bottom. Click on this and it will give all your holdings at the current date. Blank out any non relevant items and then you can attach it to your email.

Brian

1 hour ago, devonuk said:

Thanks. Appreciate the advice. 

3 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Yes no share certificate nowadays and some brokers will advise cruise company of your holding which makes it easier. 

That would be a great help when I have no experience of how to proceed. 

6 hours ago, sandancer said:

We just bought 100 shares through HL and they are telling me that we won’t get a share certificate and they will handle the application to the cruise line once we give them all the details of our upcoming cruise. Do you think that sounds right? New to share dealing if you hadn’t guessed!

Yes that is what we do with our investment broker.

1 hour ago, Harryjacobs said:

If Carnival increase the number of share line to qualify for OBC then now is the time to buy.

It makes no difference to Carnival Inc if the number of shares required for obc is increased. It makes no difference at all to the bottom line.

When you are billlions of dollars in debt, tinkering with shareholder obc is totally irrelevant. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes that is what we do with our investment broker.

I just print off a copy of my online portfolio, redact (typex!) anything irrelevant, and email the redacted copy to P&O with my cruise details. Done and dusted. 

All share holding  is a risk and in Carnivals and other tour companies the risk is greater at the moment for sure with the high level of debt, rising fuels costs and the cost of living crisis in general but hey those on 150k plus a year will be forward booking loads of cruises i guess now with the 45% scrapping of income tax. I keep in the back of my mind that the cost of these shares at their peak was over $60 a share.

28 minutes ago, Technoman2 said:

All share holding  is a risk and in Carnivals and other tour companies the risk is greater at the moment for sure with the high level of debt, rising fuels costs and the cost of living crisis in general but hey those on 150k plus a year will be forward booking loads of cruises i guess now with the 45% scrapping of income tax. I keep in the back of my mind that the cost of these shares at their peak was over $60 a share.

check the latest news

3 minutes ago, Technoman2 said:

I heard the announcement about 10 mins after my previous post so maybe not then.

'The Lady is not for Turning'  or maybe this one is. lol

Maybe Grant Shaps comment that it  would not get through parliament has been heeded.

15 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

In theory, yes. Very unlikely unless they have to stop cruising.

I am going to buy a 100 for OBC. I have 3 in the next 15 months, so at about £5.30 a share it's a no brainer.

Not necessarily, you can get zero without stopping cruising as the US company can use the Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the US. This allows the company to continue trading whilst it restructures its debt portfolio. This gets interesting being a dual listed company. I believe that they would need to delist from the LSE to achieve this.

Equally, being an asset rich company, with a large amount of their debt secured against such assets, Chpt 11 might not achieve much.

What is interesting is that the institutional analysts have basically come out and said that Carnival should have predicted this Q3 result, and the fact that Q4 isnt looking as good as it was. The lack of foresight has got them worried.

Also, in their press release Carnival spoke of 2023 exceeding 2019 in some areas, yet on the analysts call, they were more cautious. Mixed messaging is never good for investor confidence.

Q4 reporting is not going to set the world alight in January. So we're awaiting the end of Q1 which will be reported in late March/early April 2023. This is the quarter that includes the 'Wave' promotional period where cruise lines typically do a lot of business.

Fuel pricing and any reemergence of Covid protocols are the key factors which look like stopping 2023 beating 2019. If Carnival can keep these in check then 2023 has a very positive outlook. If Q1 reports are good in April then you would expect the share-price should start making back a nice chunk of ground.

From a longer term perspective, all the analysts agree that Carnival as a group are selling their cruises too cheap. Especially with the bundled offerings, they cruises are way too good value compared to land based vacations.

Carnival are working through, brand by brand, to look at their value proposition and where they can increase their revenue. A great example is the Princess Plus and Princess Premium packages which have been wonderfully successful. The approach to this is interesting.

You're encouraged to buy Princess Plus at £40 per day. When you consider that Wifi is £10 and Gratuities are say £15, capping your drink spend at £15 is seen as great value up front. However, that is then a sunk cost by the time people get on ship, they forget they've spent that. Passengers then get excited that they have 'free' drinks and therefore their cabin bill is minimal. This encourages passengers to then go shopping or pay for excurisons etc. Overall, Princess get increased spend all round.

Also, it gives Princess something they can give away on promotion with relatively little base cost.

On the call it was confirmed that P&O and Cunard have not yet been looked at from a value point of view. Paul Ludlow also confirmed to Travel Week in a recent interview that P&O were selling cruises too cheap (a necessary evil of nudging towards mass market?). So expect some prices rises, and maybe greater last minute discounting if voyages don't sell.

In summary, the earnings call in April is going to be a somewhat crunch time for Carnival.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Not necessarily, you can get zero without stopping cruising as the US company can use the Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the US. This allows the company to continue trading whilst it restructures its debt portfolio. This gets interesting being a dual listed company. I believe that they would need to delist from the LSE to achieve this.

Equally, being an asset rich company, with a large amount of their debt secured against such assets, Chpt 11 might not achieve much.

What is interesting is that the institutional analysts have basically come out and said that Carnival should have predicted this Q3 result, and the fact that Q4 isnt looking as good as it was. The lack of foresight has got them worried.

Also, in their press release Carnival spoke of 2023 exceeding 2019 in some areas, yet on the analysts call, they were more cautious. Mixed messaging is never good for investor confidence.

Q4 reporting is not going to set the world alight in January. So we're awaiting the end of Q1 which will be reported in late March/early April 2023. This is the quarter that includes the 'Wave' promotional period where cruise lines typically do a lot of business.

Fuel pricing and any reemergence of Covid protocols are the key factors which look like stopping 2023 beating 2019. If Carnival can keep these in check then 2023 has a very positive outlook. If Q1 reports are good in April then you would expect the share-price should start making back a nice chunk of ground.

From a longer term perspective, all the analysts agree that Carnival as a group are selling their cruises too cheap. Especially with the bundled offerings, they cruises are way too good value compared to land based vacations.

Carnival are working through, brand by brand, to look at their value proposition and where they can increase their revenue. A great example is the Princess Plus and Princess Premium packages which have been wonderfully successful. The approach to this is interesting.

You're encouraged to buy Princess Plus at £40 per day. When you consider that Wifi is £10 and Gratuities are say £15, capping your drink spend at £15 is seen as great value up front. However, that is then a sunk cost by the time people get on ship, they forget they've spent that. Passengers then get excited that they have 'free' drinks and therefore their cabin bill is minimal. This encourages passengers to then go shopping or pay for excurisons etc. Overall, Princess get increased spend all round.

Also, it gives Princess something they can give away on promotion with relatively little base cost.

On the call it was confirmed that P&O and Cunard have not yet been looked at from a value point of view. Paul Ludlow also confirmed to Travel Week in a recent interview that P&O were selling cruises too cheap (a necessary evil of nudging towards mass market?). So expect some prices rises, and maybe greater last minute discounting if voyages don't sell.

In summary, the earnings call in April is going to be a somewhat crunch time for Carnival.

Covid protocol is already in evidence. Our recent (ended Sunday) cruise on Britannia is a good example. The Captain announced that due to an increase in covid mak wearing was compulsory. The day after we had a letter from the Medical officer stating the same thing. The day after that we had a letter from the Chief Medical Officer for Carnival saying exactly the same thing. Covid is becoming rife again and  will affect cruising sooner than later.

23 hours ago, sandancer said:

Its easy HL will handle it all for you. Just use the messaging service in the app to send them a secure message asking them to request the benefit for you. They will send you a message back confirming its done. I just copy paste the last message II send. this is what I send, just replace the **'s with your details

Hi 

I need you to claim the carnival shareholder benefit for me again please. The details are :-

Cruise Departing Date ***********

Booking Reference **********

Cruise Operator is P & O Cruises U.K.

Cruise No. is ******

Ship is *******

Departing From *********

Booked in my name so lead name ********

Could you let me know this is all ok

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. As I said I’m new to this so I called them and an extremely helpful young man went through the process with me and I have since had a confirmation from the dividends department that they are dealing with the application. I’m impressed. I paid £5.34 per share this morning. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Technoman2 said:

I heard the announcement about 10 mins after my previous post so maybe not then.

'The Lady is not for Turning'  or maybe this one is. lol

Well damn and there I was about to buy more CCL then my tax break got canceled just as soon as it was granted!!

I risked it today and bought 100 so me and my wife both have shares for future OBC's. We got dual cabins (1 kid in each with 1 of us) for our next cruise so we can benefit from dual shareholder OBC's right away. I think my concern will be CCL stopping this benefit but at $6.91 a share it was worth a risk I thought. That said with my history of stock purchases you can thank me when CCL does go down to $0 in time for our next cruise 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pmd98052 said:

Well damn and there I was about to buy more CCL then my tax break got canceled just as soon as it was granted!!

I risked it today and bought 100 so me and my wife both have shares for future OBC's. We got dual cabins (1 kid in each with 1 of us) for our next cruise so we can benefit from dual shareholder OBC's right away. I think my concern will be CCL stopping this benefit but at $6.91 a share it was worth a risk I thought. That said with my history of stock purchases you can thank me when CCL does go down to $0 in time for our next cruise 🙂

Your wife will have to be booked seperately from you if you want to get double obc.

Apologies if you are already aware of this stipulation.  

On 10/2/2022 at 11:36 PM, wowzz said:

I just print off a copy of my online portfolio, redact (typex!) anything irrelevant, and email the redacted copy to P&O with my cruise details. Done and dusted. 

Unfortunately ii's online data does not provide a useful page to print, but they do send off the request to Carnival, so I am happy with that.