MDR open seating '

LarsenPNP

When does the window open for reserving dining time in the MDR begin? I’m just under the 120 day window for my cruise, but I don’t see the ability to book on HALs website or in the app.  Am I missing something, or is it still too early?

Thanks in advance 

17 minutes ago, doone said:

I always book my dining time at the time of booking if I want either early or late dining.  I would all my travel agent or HAL to reserve your dining time.

.Thank you for your prompt reply!  But to clarify, I am looking for the window that open seating is available on-line.  I like to have some early, some late dining times — depending upon my other plans that day. Additionally, we like not having a set table because it has allowed us to meet more people. 🙂 I just can’t remembre how soon before the cruise we were able to do this. I hope to do this on- line, as whenever I have called HAL in the past, there is always a long wait in hold…

15 minutes ago, LarsenPNP said:

.Thank you for your prompt reply!  But to clarify, I am looking for the window that open seating is available on-line.  I like to have some early, some late dining times — depending upon my other plans that day. Additionally, we like not having a set table because it has allowed us to meet more people. 🙂 I just can’t remembre how soon before the cruise we were able to do this. I hope to do this on- line, as whenever I have called HAL in the past, there is always a long wait in hold…

This is not currently available on HAL. It was for a while but disappeared.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, richwmn said:

This is not currently available on HAL. It was for a while but disappeared.

Ugh. Looks like I will have to call. What a shame, if they don’t bring it back. It was a really nice way to meet people.

2 minutes ago, LarsenPNP said:

Ugh. Looks like I will have to call. What a shame, if they don’t bring it back. It was a really nice way to meet people.

Using the PCC you have been assigned is a good way to avoid the long wait on hold. They are also available by e-mail! If you don't hear back from the e-mail promptly, call the extension and listen to message, as he or she may be on vacation (then you can call the PCC main line, stay on through the menu options, and talk to the switchboard operator who will set you up fine).

Open seating is surely available.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

There is no need to request open seating. Just show up at the MDR any time between 5:30 and 9:00 (8:00, according to some) and request a table for two or for more. We have done that on every cruise. If you are currently set up for fixed dining, just cancel it at your first meal in the MDR.

If you find waitstaff that you really like, you can request a table in their area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We had open seating on a recent Alaska cruise. Once on board I called the dining room to reserve for that evening and later discovered that the same table and dining time had automatically been assigned to us for the rest of the voyage. 

Confused on our trans Atlantic last year and our Panama in February a window that said mdr came up when I opened specialty dining on my itinerary then I could book my times and number at my table. So that won’t happen for our January cruise? Thanks.

54 minutes ago, Chickadee910 said:

Confused on our trans Atlantic last year and our Panama in February a window that said mdr came up when I opened specialty dining on my itinerary then I could book my times and number at my table. So that won’t happen for our January cruise?

The ability to pre-book specific day/time in MDR with Open Dining was eliminated a few months ago. It was nice while it lasted.  But it's not that difficult to reserve once onboard.

• Like 1

We were on the NA last month and had open seating.  You could only reserve one day in advance.  Only once were we able to reserve at a time we wanted.  All other nights we just showed up and waited to be seated.  We never waited more than a few minutes.  The downside of this is that we were in a different section almost every night.  We did try requesting same section/table but wasn't possible.  

9 hours ago, Chickadee910 said:

Thank you. Thought it used to be an option, now I know I wasn’t hallucinating…lol.

I recall the same as you. Last spring it was on my manage my cruise page. It probably was ill-conceived as it has disappeared since then.