Lost drivers license

Dwright826

I would still to to check-in and present your situation, a police report, and whatever ID you have showing your name and photo; i.e., work ID, Costco ID, expired driver's license or passport.  The folks at the pier want to help you.  If they can make it work, they will help you.

You have nothing to lose by trying.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I would still to to check-in and present your situation, a police report, and whatever ID you have showing your name and photo; i.e., work ID, Costco ID, expired driver's license or passport.  The folks at the pier want to help you.  If they can make it work, they will help you.

You have nothing to lose by trying.

Good to hear from someone in the know. And wishing good luck to the OP.

4 hours ago, Dwright826 said:

You're absolutely right. Today is Sunday. I only live 2 hours from port and scheduled an appointment at the DMV Monday at 8 in the morning

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

Would it be possible to visit the DMV first thing tomorrow for a replacement? 

4 hours ago, Dwright826 said:

You're absolutely right. Today is Sunday. I only live 2 hours from port and scheduled an appointment at the DMV Monday at 8 in the morning

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

Would it be possible to visit the DMV first thing tomorrow for a replacement? 

Looks like thats the plan. Hopefully it works out.

Edited by ChipChipperson

You can get a temporary license and if your state does not have a photo you should also be able to get a state ID card with photo. Take proof of identity/ SS card, birth cert / proof of residency. Utility bill/ rent or mortgage payment . 
With both of those docs you should be good to sail. 

Good luck.

• Like 3

Funny story.  Our granddaughter, who was 18 or so at the time, lost her drivers license at the port.  It was a hassle but they let her board with a photo of her drivers license on her phone.  Pretty sure we were the last group to board that day.  This was at Port Canaveral.  

So crazy story, my husband lost his DL on a flight down to FL a few years ago. He didn't realize it until he was returning 3 days later, not that he could have done anything down there anyway. So he goes to the airport and explains the situation. He tried using his IL Firearms Owner's ID (which has his picture & address) and his city issued ID, and they wouldn't accept either of those. They said the FOID wasn't a state issued "ID," even though it is an ID and it's issued by the state. They said the could accept those if he had his checkbook with to prove his address, because we all carry a checkbook these days. Then, the most bizarre part, they accepted his Costco credit card with his picture on it! He said it was the most unusual thing, and not what he thought made the most sense.

Just to add I don't know if they issue state ID's right at the DMV or if that's also a paper copy. Hopefully you get something to work!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, emdia43 said:

you should also be able to get a state ID card with photo.

The problem is that he has only the morning of the sailing to get this done. Many states do not issue permanent licenses or ID cards on the spot -- they're often processed at a central location and sent out by US mail. If he could get an ID card on the spot, he could get his license on the spot.

It sounds like California only issues a paper temporary license (with no photo on it) and he'd have to wait until the permanent card arrives in the mail.

So I worked checking at Port of New Orleans (but for RC) and it is port staff that can decide what is accepted but it still has to clear with "tsa" at the port i.e. one of their supervisors and hopefully that same sup is there when you get back. I of course I've in Louisiana and we have LAWallet which someone mentioned earlier with hold your ID on the app as well as Vax info and if you have a hunting or fishing license. I thought I had heard Cali had something similar but I can't find anything one it.

So your best bet is two things. Of course go to the DMV in the morning but ask if they can provide you proof of your picture in the system. 

The second thing is to bring every single form of photo ID you can find to the cruise terminal to back you up. The student/college ID says to a certain age on Carnival.com but I have never seen anyone directly care about that. I never did and I still have and used my college ID from years ago as it's not dated. 

Worse case of course no cruise but the port staff is not there to make your vacation go away. They WANT to get you on the ship and I promise if you come with enough stuff to help them out, they will work their best to get you onboard. I forgot to mention along with terminal "tsa" and port staff sup , also the guest service manager onboard has to approve it too.

• Like 4

Not the same thing, but I once physically lost my DL while we were off the ship in Fort Lauderdale. (We were supposed to carry it.) At security for reboarding the ship, I explained, and they let me back on. Of course, I did have my cruise card which would have had a picture loaded to it.

I did get a new copy after we got home. And later someone must have found it since I later received the original in the mail.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I have no direct experience with a temporary ID with a picture but Carnival's FAQ does state it is acceptable and I've read a couple of posts where the OP had to use one and had no difficulty. Hope it works out OP!

...but it also says.

Unacceptable Forms of Documentation

• A temporary driver's license (paperwork without a photo I.D.)

So far it looks like any application in CA for a replacement license or ID card does not come with a photo and specifically say not valid for ID purposes.  I'm interested to see how this works out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ray98 said:

...but it also says.

So far it looks like any application in CA for a replacement license or ID card does not come with a photo and specifically say not valid for ID purposes.  I'm interested to see how this works out.

I hope OP’s phone is charged up today, because the views of the ship sailing away from the pier can be breathtaking.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ray98 said:

...but it also says.

Yes, if it is just a piece of paper it's a no go, but if the paper has your picture on it then it's good. 

33 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I hope OP’s phone is charged up today, because the views of the ship sailing away from the pier can be breathtaking.

Yes, how dare they let their wallet be stolen right before a vacation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, if it is just a piece of paper it's a no go, but if the paper has your picture on it then it's good. 

As previously mentioned in this topic, his state's temporary license does not have a photo on it.

11 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

Worse case of course no cruise but the port staff is not there to make your vacation go away. They WANT to get you on the ship and I promise if you come with enough stuff to help them out, they will work their best to get you onboard.

Same commitment in Seattle.  If the pier side staff can 'legally' get you on, they will.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Same commitment in Seattle.  If the pier side staff can 'legally' get you on, they will.  

Would you say that that is the same for all pier staff, possibly part of their training?

I know different airports can be very different. One year I was in a walking boot since several weeks before our land trip I had a broken ankle. At the Newark airport when I mentioned that my walking boot had a LOT of metal, they almost fought over who was just going to walk me through and no need to take it off. In the airport in Amsterdam, without a smile what was said when I said the same thing was "Can you take it off?". 

I hope you got on! That sucks!!! 

Makes for a good warning on why to have a passport or passport card at the least. If you had a bit more time before your travel I would have said give the LA passport agency (your closest and closest to port?) a call about an emergency appointment. Always worth a shot. Also, although you said you're not military, are you a spouse or dependent of military? You could qualify for a a military ID still as a backup for a photo ID.

23 minutes ago, CruiserLucas said:

I hope you got on! That sucks!!! 

Makes for a good warning on why to have a passport or passport card at the least. If you had a bit more time before your travel I would have said give the LA passport agency (your closest and closest to port?) a call about an emergency appointment. Always worth a shot. Also, although you said you're not military, are you a spouse or dependent of military? You could qualify for a a military ID still as a backup for a photo ID.

Also a good case to simply say you lost your current ID when you go in for a Real ID or replacement (for whatever reason), that way at least you have something. They used to punch a hole in it but now they ask you to hand it over "oh, I misplaced it" and keep it moving. 😁  

• Like 1