Silversea Air Screws Up Again

chrism23

2 hours ago, Fsulaw1 said:

I’m seriously considering just sticking with Oceania and regent from now on!

@Fsulaw1 We're looking at a Regent cruise based on itinerary and dates, and haven't been on Regent since business class air was included. How does flight selection work with Regent? Can you view and pick your flights, like Seabourn, or do you throw yourself upon the mercy of the air department gods, like Silversea?

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Les, it is different in Miami........there are some folks who are working in an office but other people are definitely working from home. And as for speaking to each other in person? That must be something special for those in the London office.

Good luck on getting your flights fixed. I am waiting on the information on my  flight home..........it will soon be 60 days from the cruise and that is when they usually "ticket" the flight.....they need to find me a new flight soon.

I thought it might be similar to Miami, but had it confirmed a month ago. Only useful if using SS direct (which I usually do but not with the most difficult to date I’ve ever had!)

Spoke with our TA today and I have to admit they don’t fill me with confidence.

They are going to request that my out and return are from LHR. I’ve also just learned that both BA flights I was originally told I couldn’t have, are both being used. Unfortunately the Agent refuse to tell them “I know people of these flights - here’s the booking number” which probably ensures it’s prolonged.

My return flight has also been nuked for the third time. Not SS fault BA have for the second time, cancelled their Seattle to London flights, so it seems we now have to accept a 10 hour transfer in Seattle or move to Delta with just a 1h40m transfer, which I really don’t think is possible to do.

I’ve penned to them another alternative, which means having a second night in Anchorage and a flight with a 3h30m connection. Id prefer just to fly home same day, so this is simply to get a more favourable flight time. Not sure what the hotel will cost. We already got hit with this at the start of the cruise with a second night in Osaka, but to be fair that was a good “upgrade”. I’ve a feeling I’m not gonna like the cost!

Sooo…. If I took the Delta suggestion, what’s the outcome if the connection isn’t made? Next flight is 24 hours later I expect. Are we expected to pay for a hotel because of an impossible schedule was given to us? Delta washed their hands of us when we missed our flight in Atlanta booked by us direct. Same result here? I’ve certainly no desire to stay overnight in Seattle which unfortunately I suspect that connect time ensures.

2 hours ago, les37b said:

Next flight is 24 hours later I expect.

I think the bigger problem than whether you or the airline will provide you a hotel is what their capacity would be to rebook you. The flight the next day might be sold out. Almost certainly business class would be; if you're flying business class, would you accept economy seats to get home? Or another connection, such as Seattle to Atlanta or New York, to connect to a flight to LHR? (I forget when your cruise ends; your odds are better if you're traveling before the tourist season ramps up as winter ends.) Hopefully, you will achieve success with SS Air on your desired flights in the near future! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, les37b said:

I thought it might be similar to Miami, but had it confirmed a month ago. Only useful if using SS direct (which I usually do but not with the most difficult to date I’ve ever had!)

Spoke with our TA today and I have to admit they don’t fill me with confidence.

They are going to request that my out and return are from LHR. I’ve also just learned that both BA flights I was originally told I couldn’t have, are both being used. Unfortunately the Agent refuse to tell them “I know people of these flights - here’s the booking number” which probably ensures it’s prolonged.

My return flight has also been nuked for the third time. Not SS fault BA have for the second time, cancelled their Seattle to London flights, so it seems we now have to accept a 10 hour transfer in Seattle or move to Delta with just a 1h40m transfer, which I really don’t think is possible to do.

I’ve penned to them another alternative, which means having a second night in Anchorage and a flight with a 3h30m connection. Id prefer just to fly home same day, so this is simply to get a more favourable flight time. Not sure what the hotel will cost. We already got hit with this at the start of the cruise with a second night in Osaka, but to be fair that was a good “upgrade”. I’ve a feeling I’m not gonna like the cost!

Sooo…. If I took the Delta suggestion, what’s the outcome if the connection isn’t made? Next flight is 24 hours later I expect. Are we expected to pay for a hotel because of an impossible schedule was given to us? Delta washed their hands of us when we missed our flight in Atlanta booked by us direct. Same result here? I’ve certainly no desire to stay overnight in Seattle which unfortunately I suspect that connect time ensures.

90 min in Seattle is doable imho.  Good luck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I think the bigger problem than whether you or the airline will provide you a hotel is what their capacity would be to rebook you. The flight the next day might be sold out. Almost certainly business class would be; if you're flying business class, would you accept economy seats to get home? Or another connection, such as Seattle to Atlanta or New York, to connect to a flight to LHR? (I forget when your cruise ends; your odds are better if you're traveling before the tourist season ramps up as winter ends.) Hopefully, you will achieve success with SS Air on your desired flights in the near future! 

No I completely agree. I would have expanded into that and the fact I think Airlines are meant to get you on the next available flight - including using other airlines. (That may just be Europe and probably never done anyway!) But yes, travel is a gamble with connections so no point in worsening your chances having a connection I'd never want to risk.

Anyway, I have good news again which hopefully this time wont be subject to further changes and cancellations. 

I was able to get details from another guest who had these options which actually were very good - the best we could hope for apart from the carrier on the way back not our first choice. But getting home is the target and the airline secondary especially when it does have the 2 carry ons allowed.

So we now fly BA at 09.35 which was always my first choice and denied each time things changed and told we cant have.

Return is at 13.20 which means not needing to get up at 3.30am for the flight we did have and also has a buffer of a 3h30m connection. All in all very relieved and fingers crossed AA or BA don't go cancelling or changing times again.

What was telling here, was I sent over an image of what was given to another guest and the TA said when they called, it was given without any quibbles. Not the first time I've experienced this on this particular cruise, so its clearly useful to fact find and short circuit.

• Like 3

I did get my airline ticketing at the 60 day point 23 Jan, but SS did not communicate that to our TA as of 26 Jan. I got the info on Mysilversea and was able to upgrade my seating to move out of the cattle car rear end to preferred isle seating forward in the main cabin. Could not upgrade to business or first though. The airlines said I would have to go through the ticketing agency(SS) to do it. SS Air Dept strikes again!

4 hours ago, dougburns said:

I did get my airline ticketing at the 60 day point 23 Jan, but SS did not communicate that to our TA as of 26 Jan. I got the info on Mysilversea and was able to upgrade my seating to move out of the cattle car rear end to preferred isle seating forward in the main cabin. Could not upgrade to business or first though. The airlines said I would have to go through the ticketing agency(SS) to do it. Not happening, since I only wanted to upgrade to first on the overnight flight from PHX to MIA. SS Air Dept strikes again!

I wonder if it depends on the airline?  Once S/S had ticketed my Qantas flights, I could log into “manage my booking” to change seats and also request an upgrade using points.

4 hours ago, dougburns said:
Edited by Port Power

5 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

SS purchases bulk fares that are not upgradable.  Not sure but it may state that somewhere in the site.  Were you hoping to use miles to upgrade?  If planning to use dollars the SS upgrade difference is usually quite reasonable.

2 hours ago, Port Power said:

I wonder if it depends on the airline?  Once S/S had ticketed my Qantas flights, I could log into “manage my booking” to change seats and also request an upgrade using points.

It does depend upon the airline. We were able to upgrade to business class both ways on AA MIA-SCL-MIA using AA's usual miles and cash co-pays for these flights (25,000 miles + $350 PP), once at the gate, and once clearing a few days in advance

Edited by taxatty

It does not depend on the airline.

It depends on the fare rules of YOUR specific ticket.

Just because it worked on QF or AA in the past has ZERO bearing on whether it is applicable to your particular ticket.

And "fare rules" means a lot more than just the class of your ticket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

It does not depend on the airline.

It depends on the fare rules of YOUR specific ticket.

Just because it worked on QF or AA in the past has ZERO bearing on whether it is applicable to your particular ticket.

And "fare rules" means a lot more than just the class of your ticket.

OK, I stand corrected, but the point is that it MAY be possible to upgrade AA tickets if they so qualify and you are lucky and persistent.  If your first call (or two) to an AA phone agent to request an upgrade results in a "sorry, your tickets don't qualify for upgrades" response as it did with us in one case a couple of months before our flights, try a HUCA--a different AA agent put us on the upgrade waitlist. AA "C" Class upgrade space later became available and we grabbed it. We've done this multiple times using both AA systemwide upgrades and miles + cash. 

• Like 1

Well, I was in touch with my SS rep again and they have me on a new flight home but she wants to see if they can find me a better one.  This one isn't too bad really but I have never flown on "Austrian Airlines" before.   IF (big IF) If it is the one I end up with, do any of you have any experience with this airline?   I am flying Business Class.

It would be Athens to Vienna and Vienna on to JFK and then JFK home................

She is trying to get me on flight home without a stop in Europe first......will let you all know what happens.

Regarding my last post, I wanted to upgrade to First on the redeye leg from PHX-MIA for cash and only for that leg. AA said I'd have to go through the ticketing agency to do it(SS). For the rest of the legs I was able to upgrade to preferred seating within the main cabin for both AA and UA at minimal cost.

8 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

What about United?  They've got a non-stop from Athens to Newark, then on to Jacksonville that leaves at 12:25pm.  

Good morning...OMG.....that is the perfect flight. My gal is off till Monday. I wonder if I should call SS anyway. Who knows if that will still be there on Monday.

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning...OMG.....that is the perfect flight. My gal is off till Monday. I wonder if I should call SS anyway. Who knows if that will still be there on Monday.

My experience for my Japan / Alaska trip this coming April, is summed up in with 2 words. Frustrating and persistence. Luckily the later won the day. Its always worthwhile checking and re-checking. Airlines are consistently changing their flights which we've experienced several times on this cruise. However, that can work to your advantage and a newer better option could just drop into place if you get lucky and can then request and hope for the best. (Right up until its been ticketed, then its game over!)

20 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

What about United?  They've got a non-stop from Athens to Newark, then on to Jacksonville that leaves at 12:25pm.  

Just because a flight is scheduled does NOT mean that a cruiseline has inventory on that flight.  They are operating from contracted ticket arrangements, and that is completely different from the open market for air tickets that would be bought directly from the airline.

My own wager is that they have no access to that flight.

1 minute ago, les37b said:

My experience for my Japan / Alaska trip this coming April, is summed up in with 2 words. Frustrating and persistence. Luckily the later won the day. Its always worthwhile checking and re-checking. Airlines are consistently changing their flights which we've experienced several times on this cruise. However, that can work to your advantage and a newer better option could just drop into place if you get lucky and can then request and hope for the best. (Right up until its been ticketed, then its game over!)

Thanks for the reply Les. I am just going to wait till Monday as your assessment of things changing sounds correct. Actually, if that one was available previously, I am 99.9% sure she would have told them to book it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Just because a flight is scheduled does NOT mean that a cruiseline has inventory on that flight.  They are operating from contracted ticket arrangements, and that is completely different from the open market for air tickets that would be bought directly from the airline.

My own wager is that they have no access to that flight.

I will know Monday. I have flown United out of Newark multiple times to Europe. It always seems to be the one airport that has direct flights.(for me anyway)......hopefully they do have access to it but if not, I will go with what is available. (not much else I can do).

38 minutes ago, bubbulz said:

I love Austrian. We flew twice in Business Class to Budapest via Vienna.

Good to know🙂 thank you. Is the Vienna airport pretty easy to access? I have never been there before. IF this is the flight I end up with, I have a 90 minute layover for my flight to JFK.....I was told that is plenty of time.

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I tried to get Silversea to book us on a direct flight from Lisbon to Washington (Dulles) on United in May, 2022 and they told me no, its not a contract flight, so we had to fly thru Munich, then on to Dulles.  It made for a long, stressful trip back, as Munich was experiencing a shortage of baggage handlers and we didn't think our luggage would make it on the plane with us back to the US. We also ended up in a mile long line of passengers getting their boarding passes and negative Covid test results paperwork checked and we almost missed our flight.  I hope you're successful in getting a direct flight, but you may have to pay an upcharge.

And remember.....a "direct" flight is NOT the same as a "non-stop" flight.

You have have multiple stops and even aircraft changes on a direct flight.

For example, Southwest has a "direct" flight from Baltimore to Oakland that makes SEVEN stops along the way.  Delta had a "direct" flight from Miami to Tel Aviv that not only stopped in New York, but changed aircraft as well.

And yes, nomenclature matters - especially when you buy a "direct" flight thinking it is non-stop and then finding out otherwise.  You get angry, but the anger would be misdirected.

3 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

I tried to get Silversea to book us on a direct flight from Lisbon to Washington (Dulles) on United in May, 2022 and they told me no, its not a contract flight, so we had to fly thru Munich, then on to Dulles.  It made for a long, stressful trip back, as Munich was experiencing a shortage of baggage handlers and we didn't think our luggage would make it on the plane with us back to the US. We also ended up in a mile long line of passengers getting their boarding passes and negative Covid test results paperwork checked and we almost missed our flight.  I hope you're successful in getting a direct flight, but you may have to pay an upcharge.

Hi, sorry you had such a stressful time. That is never fun.

2 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

And remember.....a "direct" flight is NOT the same as a "non-stop" flight.

You have have multiple stops and even aircraft changes on a direct flight.

For example, Southwest has a "direct" flight from Baltimore to Oakland that makes SEVEN stops along the way.  Delta had a "direct" flight from Miami to Tel Aviv that not only stopped in New York, but changed aircraft as well.

And yes, nomenclature matters - especially when you buy a "direct" flight thinking it is non-stop and then finding out otherwise.  You get angry, but the anger would be misdirected.

I know you are the flight expert (seen many of your postings over the years on the air forum).

I will just wait and see what happens. Right now they have me on Austrian Air, Athens to Vienna and then Vienna on to JFK. The times for these flights work well so will just wait and see what SS does. I will contact my gal on Monday about that United flight.

I have made the decision not to stress over all this......it won't do any good.