Tips increasing

MarinerAlex

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Glad we have made final payment

The way things seem to be going with X, final  payment may actually be the finale for us!

Seriously? $2 more a day is enough to make you decide to stop cruising? Or just stop cruising with X? 

Well, good luck with that, because I don't care what line you cruise with, expenses are only going to go up.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, saltymac said:

I think cruising should start at $5k pp, the staff would be well paid and be extra happy and we wouldn’t have to worry about tipping…..

That’s the beauty of cruising, you have the choice, you can choose to pay $500/pp then go to guest services and increase your gratuities to $4.5k 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, saltymac said:

I think cruising should start at $5k pp, the staff would be well paid and be extra happy and we wouldn’t have to worry about tipping…..

That wouldn’t include tipping, the cruise price now doesn’t now, so why would that change? If it did, this subject wouldn’t exist.

Does anyone have a breakdown of how much staff are paid daily please? Or where I can look for it? Thank you. 

Edit: prices are increasing everywhere else so I don’t see an issue here. 

Edited by wineoclock

17 hours ago, MarinerAlex said:

Just received an email for my upcoming Nov 2022 cruise that tips increasing

$17.50 / day regular rooms

$18/day AC / Concierge

$21 / day suites

You can prepay now at today’s rate. New rates effective 10/17.

What was the old price 

5 hours ago, wineoclock said:

Does anyone have a breakdown of how much staff are paid daily please? Or where I can look for it? Thank you. 

Edit: prices are increasing everywhere else so I don’t see an issue here. 

That info may be available somewhere, but I found this paragraph in one of Royal Caribbean Group's SEC filings.  Note this is Royal Caribbean Group which includes RCCL, Celebrity, and SilverSea.

We had approximately 85,000 employees as of December 31, 2021. The median employee’s total compensation for 2021, calculated consistent with Item 402(c) of Regulation S-K, was $14,706. This figure includes gratuities directly billed to our guests but excludes any cash gratuities paid directly to the employee by guests. It also excludes room and board, which is provided to our crew members without charge. Based upon this methodology and the CEO’s total compensation, as set forth in the Summary Compensation Table, we estimate the ratio of our CEO’s pay to the median employee’s pay is 1,075 to 1.

So, when you ask how much they are paid a day.  It's likely less than $100 a day.  But to put that in perspective, the average pay per day in the countries where some of these workers call home, it's a step up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Orator said:

Most of the waiters and stateroom attendants pay to get from the country to the ship. Celebrity covers the trip home after they complete their contract. The expense for Officers is completely covered.

Cruise lines pay to get them from their home country to the ship, many couldn’t afford the airfare

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

So lower class cabins have to pay more than people in higher class cabins 🤨

That seems weird to me , you would think it would be a constant increase across all the categories🤔

It is consistent. It's a flat $2 increase. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Cruise lines pay to get them from their home country to the ship, many couldn’t afford the airfare

No Celebrity doesn't. Celebrity is afraid that if they pay some will not show up to start the contract. This has happened before. The cruise lines will book the crew at lower prices. That's why there are crew blackout dates for travel.

Edited by Orator

33 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

? 🤔
Doesn’t look consistent to me 
lower class increase is 13%

upper class increase is 12.5%
Suite increase is 10.5%

AQ/CC and suites pay for additional people whose tips may not be increasing. If the $2 increase is just for stateroom attendant and wait staff, then the math is consistent across all cabin classes.

1 hour ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

We had approximately 85,000 employees as of December 31, 2021. The median employee’s total compensation for 2021, calculated consistent with Item 402(c) of Regulation S-K, was $14,706. This figure includes gratuities directly billed to our guests but excludes any cash gratuities paid directly to the employee by guests. It also excludes room and board, which is provided to our crew members without charge

And is the compensation ($14,706) just for the contract length? which is typically 5-7 months ?

14 hours ago, dlh015 said:

Seriously? $2 more a day is enough to make you decide to stop cruising? Or just stop cruising with X? 

Well, good luck with that, because I don't care what line you cruise with, expenses are only going to go up.

Prices have increased everywhere...we get that...and we tip quite generously, always have, even to some who were not  deserving .Working on a ship far from home...not easy.

But  along with higher fares,  there are little increases here and there, along with overall reduction in Modern Luxury over the years,, unless one books a suite.  There is also  a changed clientele. The Celebrity  CEO is Royal trained...did not come up through Celebrity. 

X should raise staff salaries, spend more money to train staff .....and  cease lowering quality of food, and  items at Baccio etc. I assume  CEOs are still making money  based on above posts.

Royalization of X was not a step up!   We will try our first suite ( all inclusive fare) on BEYOND, moving up from AQ Class. But in past yrs , everyone was treated like a "Celebrity"  regardless of what cabin you booked.

We have loved every cruise (they "exceeded expectations"),  and  enjoyed most  every ship,  from Mercury to EDGE. The Celebrity experience is  diff now.

We never say never but will look for short cruises out of TPA with lowered expectations. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Prices have increased everywhere...we get that...and we tip quite generously, always have, even to some who were not  deserving .Working on a ship far from home...not easy.

But  along with higher fares,  there are little increases here and there, along with overall reduction in Modern Luxury over the years,, unless one books a suite.  There is also  a changed clientele. The Celebrity  CEO is Royal trained...did not come up through Celebrity. 

X should raise staff salaries, spend more money to train staff .....and  cease lowering quality of food, and  items at Baccio etc. I assume  CEOs are still making money  based on above posts.

Royalization of X was not a step up!   We will try our first suite ( all inclusive fare) on BEYOND, moving up from AQ Class. But in past yrs , everyone was treated like a "Celebrity"  regardless of what cabin you booked.

We have loved every cruise (they "exceeded expectations"),  and  enjoyed most  every ship,  from Mercury to EDGE. The Celebrity experience is  diff now.

We never say never but will look for short cruises out of TPA with lowered expectations. 

So you're unhappy with how the total package has changed and the gratuity increase is kinda the straw that broke the camel's back.

Thanks for clarifying...

1 hour ago, Orator said:

No Celebrity doesn't. Celebrity is afraid that if they pay some will not show up to start the contract. This has happened before. The cruise lines will book the crew at lower prices. That's why there are crew blackout dates for travel.

I’m on the Millie now and just asked two crew members during breakfast, both said X pays for their flights both from their home country to the ship and back.  As stated, many of lower behind the scene crew that you never see couldn’t afford their plane ticket.  You’re welcome to post a source to your claim but it just doesn’t make sense.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

1 hour ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

That info may be available somewhere, but I found this paragraph in one of Royal Caribbean Group's SEC filings.  Note this is Royal Caribbean Group which includes RCCL, Celebrity, and SilverSea.

We had approximately 85,000 employees as of December 31, 2021. The median employee’s total compensation for 2021, calculated consistent with Item 402(c) of Regulation S-K, was $14,706. This figure includes gratuities directly billed to our guests but excludes any cash gratuities paid directly to the employee by guests. It also excludes room and board, which is provided to our crew members without charge. Based upon this methodology and the CEO’s total compensation, as set forth in the Summary Compensation Table, we estimate the ratio of our CEO’s pay to the median employee’s pay is 1,075 to 1.

So, when you ask how much they are paid a day.  It's likely less than $100 a day.  But to put that in perspective, the average pay per day in the countries where some of these workers call home, it's a step up.

Median amount is not a fair measure since it is that midpoint of total salaries that includes the Captain, Staff Captain, HD and CD, as well as other officers. Now the median salary for waiters and room attendants would be more meaningful, but they are not available. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

So you're unhappy with how the total package has changed and the gratuity increase is kinda the straw that broke the camel's back.

Thanks for clarifying...

Pretty much...but eventually we will re think.  Right now..happy with our current plans to enjoy SW Florida..after we  go through minor cleanup!