Starlink on Beyond, a disappointment.

Dk-cruiser

36 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Lol, this comment literally adds zero value to the conversation.  Not everyone is retired, in fact we have to work to hopefully one day retire with a nice nest egg.  Here's the best way to describe it, if I'm able to be connected and can work a little, I can take more cruises.  Otherwise I need to exhaust all my vacation days and when I eventually re-connect, I often spend 4-10x the amount of time replying to emails as I try to determine what needs to be done and what has already been done.  I have no problem with people living their best life whether that's disconnecting or be connected; ultimately I want my fellow passengers to be the happiest they can be.

I didn’t expect you to say “I want everyone to be miserable”.  🙂

46 minutes ago, bdstickks0944 said:

If you are on vacation, why is it so important to do your job?  That’s why it’s called vacation. 

Are you interested in some irony?

You may recall all of the previous conversation regarding the rather substantial amount of "stuff" in orbit, including the Starlink satellites.  One of the systems used by USSF to keep tabs on all of that "stuff" is called GEODSS (see https://www.spaceforce.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Article/2197760/ground-based-electro-optical-deep-space-surveillance/ ).

About 2 years ago, I unretired to support, among other things, the GEODSS system.  Looking forward to being retired again, but for now...

When on vacation, I'm still 'on call' if certain issues would arise regarding the successful operation of those systems.

I'll let the above also serve as the explanation for some of the previous statements I've made on this subject in this and a similar thread that we had here earlier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Lol, this comment literally adds zero value to the conversation.  Not everyone is retired, in fact we have to work to hopefully one day retire with a nice nest egg.  Here's the best way to describe it, if I'm able to be connected and can work a little, I can take more cruises.  Otherwise I need to exhaust all my vacation days and when I eventually re-connect, I often spend 4-10x the amount of time replying to emails as I try to determine what needs to be done and what has already been done.  I have no problem with people living their best life whether that's disconnecting or be connected; ultimately I want my fellow passengers to be the happiest they can be.

I’m glad the fate of the company that I worked didn’t depend on not being able to contact me for a week or whatever length of time. I surrounded my self with good people who I could trust and made sure they had the tools to handle just about anything that would come up. If we were staying home, I would check my e-mails, maybe twice, and reply if it was semi important. If we were traveling, never checked it once. Thirty two years on the job, and not one call or e-mail of any importance, and the company flourished.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I’m glad the fate of the company that I worked didn’t depend on not being able to contact me for a week or whatever length of time. I surrounded my self with good people who I could trust and made sure they had the tools to handle just about anything that would come up. If we were staying home, I would check my e-mails, maybe twice, and reply if it was semi important. If we were traveling, never checked it once. Thirty two years on the job, and not one call or e-mail of any importance, and the company flourished.

Well you’re not a project manager at USPS.  The postmaster general always calls me on vacation to ask if we should raise stamp prices 1 cent or 2 cents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Well you’re not a project manager at USPS.  The postmaster general always calls me on vacation to ask if we should raise stamp prices 1 cent or 2 cents.

No I’m not, I chose to work for a company that makes a lot of money, not one that has been losing a lot of money for many years, yet the government keeps the big money flowing.

My son works for USPS so I am kept aware of what’s going on.

9 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

No I’m not, I chose to work for a company that makes a lot of money, not one that has been losing a lot of money for many years, yet the government keeps the big money flowing.

My son works for USPS so I am kept aware of what’s going on.

Future pension requirements are a big part of that losing money.  Nice that your company is *making* a lot of money.

15 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I recall post previously where individuals stated they were unable to access Cruise Critic with the basic internet.  I've never had basic, always premium, so I cannot say from personal experience.  

I believe I have also read that web browsing is very slow on basic but maybe someone with direct experience can comment. 

Just got off Solstice.  I could not access Cruise Critic on the basic internet. Anything on the web was too slow. I could use Facebook and facebook messenger and that's about it. Celebrity is definitely doing the throttling because if you used a VPN, more of the web functioned correctly.

My son had a device with premium internet that we upgraded so he could use discord and play games with his friends (it's his vacation too), and that moved better but it definitely still brought complaints from him lol.

2 minutes ago, SusieV said:

Just got off Solstice.  I could not access Cruise Critic on the basic internet. Anything on the web was too slow. I could use Facebook and facebook messenger and that's about it. Celebrity is definitely doing the throttling because if you used a VPN, more of the web functioned correctly.

My son had a device with premium internet that we upgraded so he could use discord and play games with his friends (it's his vacation too), and that moved better but it definitely still brought complaints from him lol.

Hmm.  VPN.  I’ll see if I have one.  It’s for that reason I download everything before the cruise.  Books, music etc.

6 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Like your comment, add anything to it? Who is retired I’m not retired, but I’m on vacation. I make it a priority not to spend every moment of it on my phone, and Internet means nothing to me when I’m on a cruise.

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Hmm.  VPN.  I’ll see if I have one.  It’s for that reason I download everything before the cruise.  Books, music etc.

You will definitely want to set up a VPN before you get aboard - seems X is blocking many of those sites entirely.

1 minute ago, canderson said:

You will definitely want to set up a VPN before you get aboard - seems X is blocking many of those sites entirely.

Thanks for the warning.  I’m pretty sure I have one but I might be thinking of my last phone.  

2 minutes ago, bdstickks0944 said:

I make it a priority not to spend every moment of it on my phone, and Internet means nothing to me when I’m on a cruise.

As is the case for most of us, but you have previously not allowed for any necessary exceptional cases that could occur where some decent bandwidth might really be important.  I noted no response to my reply to you in #53, above.  I thought the irony was pretty rich.

6 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I thought it was called a cruise.

I never realized I was onboard a ship with so many essential people.  It’s a wonder the world keeps turning without blazing internet to be had.  Now I know.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

On 10/3/2022 at 5:00 PM, canderson said:

Hardly.  Just someone with a necessarily intimate understanding of the technology, and no financial stake in it.  If you have contrary data, please elaborate.

Actually, I am a Musk fan and cannot wait to see what he does with the Blue Bird 😉  

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

I never realized I was in a ship with so many essential people.  It’s a wonder the world keeps turning without blazing internet to be had.  Now I know.  

There was a time when taking a two week vacation was frowned upon by certain employers.  With connectivity available, even if not needed, there's a freedom to go on a 14 nter or a long B2B without risk of having some truly specialized knowledge unavailable and floating at sea.  Not everyone works for larger companies with a lot of overlap.

1 hour ago, bdstickks0944 said:

Like your comment, add anything to it? Who is retired I’m not retired, but I’m on vacation. I make it a priority not to spend every moment of it on my phone, and Internet means nothing to me when I’m on a cruise.

My comment had several full sentences and didn’t start with a pointless/lazy “whatever”.  I’ll reiterate my overall point of (within the rules) anyone is free to vacation the way they want to vacation.  I’ll make this offer to any passenger, if they want throw their phone overboard, using my phone I’ll film it for free

3 hours ago, bdstickks0944 said:

I am retired and have no need to be connected on a cruise but I want to be. I like to download the news in the morning and read some of  it later. I like to maintain contact with family. I am able to control myself and not spend every. moment on the interent. It is my vacation and don't need a presumptous lecture not to connect on vacation. Celebrity understands that many passengers do need it, some for work or business, and desire faster internet and is making an upgrade. That is what this topic is about. Your posts on this thread have nothing to do with the topic. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I am retired and have no need to be connected on a cruise but I want to be. I like to download the news in the morning and read some of  it later. I like to maintain contact with family. I am able to control myself and not spend every. moment on the interent. It is my vacation and don't need a presumptous lecture not to connect on vacation. Celebrity understands that many passengers do need it, some for work or business, and desire faster internet and is making an upgrade. That is what this topic is about. Your posts on this thread have nothing to do with the topic. 

Before my cruise was canceled due to Covid, I spent a little time signing up for a few periodicals that I would read every day on my Kindle.  I may try this again in May.  Not sure how well this works with basic internet.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The only problem could be is that X has been known to block some VPN's too. 

So far (knock hull steel) they haven't hurt me on Nord for personal stuff.  That said, I was advised to have a lesser known one like Tunnelbear ready to go just in case.  For work, we have our own that X wouldn't ever recognize.

Blocking VPNs, whatever X's functional or monetary motivation, is NOT good for their customers.  For certain functions, I'm required to operate over a VPN.  Many businesses have required this for years.  And of course, for 'consumer' use, it can be an important piece of the personal data security puzzle as well.  He who does financial transactions over public WiFi without one certainly takes on additional risk.

10 minutes ago, canderson said:

So far (knock hull steel) they haven't hurt me on Nord for personal stuff.  That said, I was advised to have a lesser known one like Tunnelbear ready to go just in case.  For work, we have our own that X wouldn't ever recognize.

Blocking VPNs, whatever X's functional or monetary motivation, is NOT good for their customers.  For certain functions, I'm required to operate over a VPN.  Many businesses have required this for years.  And of course, for 'consumer' use, it can be an important piece of the personal data security puzzle as well.  He who does financial transactions over public WiFi without one certainly takes on additional risk.

My work laptop is locked down enough that you can’t even have basic internet access without a VPN.  We don’t want anyone stealing secrets about the latest flower stamps.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Bottom line: coneectivity is limited on a ship and can't currently support everyone teleworking. Why do some folks feel they are entitled to use more than their fair share?

14 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

Bottom line: coneectivity is limited on a ship and can't currently support everyone teleworking. Why do some folks feel they are entitled to use more than their fair share?

Please define “fair share”?  Everyone can pay more for better internet.

• Like 2