Boarding the ship in clothing with metal trim

shipgeeks

My husband always has to remove his belt when going through Security at our home terminal. I have been asked to remove a jacket with 4 or 5 brass buttons.  Now I have a pair of slacks with 22 metal buttons down the sides, and I'd love to wear them for the trip (drive) to the port, and for boarding.  How does Security deal with a dilemma like this?  I don't think I'll be asked to remove them right there, lol, but what, if anything, might happen?  Anybody have experience with a similar situation?

Without thinking, I once wore a dress which had some metallic decoration on the front of it through security. It caused me to be pulled to one side and ‘wandered down’ by a female officer.

If you think the trousers might cause a problem, I’d advise wearing something else.

• Like 2

I remember a scene in a movie in which the young lady stepped off her plane from Europe wearing a leather jacket with multiple zippers, buckles and studs, pants with metal trim all over, a fancy belt buckle, and boots with zippers and studs.  She might have looked fashionable, but I thought Wardrobe was not being very realistic using that as her travelling outfit, lol.

They will likely wand you.  The wanding on cruise ships is not as nerve wracking as at the airport. It doesn’t matter if it is embarkation day or not every time you re-board the ship you will go through a metal detector.  

• 10 months later...
On 8/28/2023 at 4:52 PM, simplelife said:

I seems every time I fly lately, I'm targeted for pat down. (I don't know why - I wear very little metal).I'm no longer embarrassed in the least

If you are using a Poise type pad for leakage, then that might be the reason.  If so, my suggestion would be to apply it after going thru security.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The worst I've experienced was trying to visit a dam out west.  Not Hoover -- oh, I can't remember the name.  Had to take off my hiking boots, empty out my purse.  Even had to remove a metal hair barrette -- yeah, a little thing a step up from a bobby pin.  

Glad you got through without undue trouble.