Are there still motion lights in staterooms? (most interested in Sky)

Fleur25

Hello Princess Adventurers:

I read on a few boards people were unhappy with the motion sensor lights that had been installed on the nightstand and in hallway so you have a light if you get up at night. The general consensus was that most folks didn't like them. I was reading that they are not on all ships and that they may have been removed on some? 

We're traveling on Sky Princess in December and I'm wondering can any recent Sky passengers confirm if these lights are in the Sky staterooms?

Thanks!

There were not on Discovery early August.  My steward said something about disabling the "credit card" type slot that activates the power in the cabin.  Seems like an easy solution, I was pleased not to have to deal with it as it would have bothered me.

1 hour ago, hpeabody said:

There were not on Discovery early August.  My steward said something about disabling the "credit card" type slot that activates the power in the cabin.  Seems like an easy solution, I was pleased not to have to deal with it as it would have bothered me.

Disable it how?  By not putting a card in the slot at night?

2 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

Still on Regal 😒

On her now and drives me nuts.  Put tape on sensor to stop it from coming on, but still turns off after some seconds when you manually want it on.  No way to make light stay on in closet when you want it on longer.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

On her now and drives me nuts.  Put tape on sensor to stop it from coming on, but still turns off after some seconds when you manually want it on.  No way to make light stay on in closet when you want it on longer.

Just off last week and I did the same. It would still activate in the night on occasion when nobody was up. You could pull the main card, but as far as I know that would disable all lights. Then you would have to put it back in when you wanted a light like the bathroom.  I made sure to tell them my thoughts in the post cruise survey. A simple switch just for that light would be nice.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

when were they installed?

Didn't have them back in Nov 2019.

They (princess) are pretty much putting them on all ships. 

Since they retrofitting all ships it is probably a risk reduction action (trip and fall accidents at night)

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, Musky Ike said:

Just off last week and I did the same. It would still activate in the night on occasion when nobody was up. You could pull the main card, but as far as I know that would disable all lights. Then you would have to put it back in when you wanted a light like the bathroom.  I made sure to tell them my thoughts in the post cruise survey. A simple switch just for that light would be nice.

Exactly - same story here.

On 10/10/2022 at 5:38 PM, sunsetme said:

How about Discovery? Those lights drove us nuts on Royal

They were NOT on the Sky last December NOR on Discovery in May of this year. Hopefully they've stopped this silliness. I understand the "safety" reason for the lights, but they would drive me crazy, as I'm a very light sleeper.

I recently stayed in a hotel that had a great solution: a clear light switch in the bathroom with an LED light behind it. It was not all that bright and did not disturb us when sleeping but, surprisingly, provided plenty of light to guide us easily to the bathroom during the night. 

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

They were NOT on the Sky last December NOR on Discovery in May of this year. Hopefully they've stopped this silliness. I understand the "safety" reason for the lights, but they would drive me crazy, as I'm a very light sleeper.

I recently stayed in a hotel that had a great solution: a clear light switch in the bathroom with an LED light behind it. It was not all that bright and did not disturb us when sleeping but, surprisingly, provided plenty of light to guide us easily to the bathroom during the night. 

We take a plug in night light, I had to adapt it slightly at home so it would fit the shave plug 

On the Ruby last week and really surprised to see the motion light in the nightstand -- only on the one on the closet wall. It didn't bother us too much, though it was weird as if I had a cover fall over the side of the bed, it went off, so I could see how that would be really annoying to a lot of people.

My biggest annoyance with it.....was that they went to all this work to hook up a light in the floor area of the nightstand, but they STILL don't have a plug in on the top of the nightstand! Come on, Princess, it would have been the perfect time to do this!

🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

We recently returned from the Emerald. Mid cruise they added the under the cabinet and overhead motion lights. On our last night the overhead light refused to go off. At 11PM, I went to the Passenger Service Desk to ask them to turn it off. I was hoping to get some sleep before getting up at 0530 for early disembarkation. At Midnight we still had the light and no response from the folks needed to fix. I returned to the front desk and asked that they send someone right away. Security person came and removed the bulb from the light by taking the whole unit apart. Not what I expected but got some sleep 🙂