HELP! Can't decide between Caribbean Cruise on HAL and Celebrity Cruise for week of Jan 7-Jan 14 2023

NewtoCruising2022

Hello fellow cruisers! 

We are a couple in our early 30's looking to book our first ever cruise to the Caribbean in Jan 2023. We are interested in the verandah cabin for our first time. With so many options out there, and the assistance of all you lovely people on this website, we have narrowed it down to three options and could use your help to decide. We are not partiers per say, we do love a good time, but not every night. We do like to relax. We love the beach and to explore new areas. We do like music/shows/comedy etc. Don't love being with kids and crazy partiers who are loud and annoying. All and all, looking for a nice relaxing fun vacation.

I am wondering if there is any specific ports you think are not worth the time or any that are really great and not to be missed? Does HAL have bigger/better cabins than Celebrity or vice versa? What about the Have it All Package on HAL, is it better than the all inclusive package on Celebrity? What about crew tips - are these included in any of the packages? Anything we should be aware of for these two cruise lines as first time cruisers? What would be your preference below and why?

First option is on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam going to:

Key West, Florida  
Falmouth, Jamaica   
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Second option is on HAL Nieuw Statendam

Turks & Caicos  
San Juan, Puerto Rico
St. Thomas U.S Virigin Islands

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 

Third option is on Celebrity Reflection

Nassau Bahamas  
St. Thomas, US Virigin Islands

Phillipsburg, Saint Martin

Any information you could provide is extremely helpful and appreciative 🙂 Thanks!!

Scratch the Nieuw Amsterdam itinerary, not interesting at all.  Not good for a first cruise.  Either of the others would be fine.  HAL will be an older demographic, very few children.  Reflection might have a few more kids, but not a lot as schools will just have restarted after the holidays.  Cabins will be equal.  Reflection will be larger than NS.  I think the balconies on NS may be a little shallower than on HALs other classes of ships.  EM

• Like 2

You immediately had me recommending Celebrity at "early 30s".  Though my experience on both lines is a little dated, I have cruised on all 3 of those ship classes and without a doubt, Solstice Class (Reflection) is my clear favorite over the 2 HAL choices.  They are stunningly beautiful and modern ships and imo, the dining and entertainment choices notably exceed HAL.

It's the Caribbean, so I don't think there's a clear winner on itineraries.  HAL's Half Moon Cay is beautiful with one of the best beaches I've had the pleasure of being on.  However, I don't think that one day outweighs the ship choice.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewtoCruising2022 said:

Hello fellow cruisers! 

We are a couple in our early 30's looking to book our first ever cruise to the Caribbean in Jan 2023. We are interested in the verandah cabin for our first time. With so many options out there, and the assistance of all you lovely people on this website, we have narrowed it down to three options and could use your help to decide. We are not partiers per say, we do love a good time, but not every night. We do like to relax. We love the beach and to explore new areas. We do like music/shows/comedy etc. Don't love being with kids and crazy partiers who are loud and annoying. All and all, looking for a nice relaxing fun vacation.

I am wondering if there is any specific ports you think are not worth the time or any that are really great and not to be missed? Does HAL have bigger/better cabins than Celebrity or vice versa? What about the Have it All Package on HAL, is it better than the all inclusive package on Celebrity? What about crew tips - are these included in any of the packages? Anything we should be aware of for these two cruise lines as first time cruisers? What would be your preference below and why?

First option is on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam going to:

Key West, Florida  
Falmouth, Jamaica   
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Second option is on HAL Nieuw Statendam

Turks & Caicos  
San Juan, Puerto Rico
St. Thomas U.S Virigin Islands

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 

Third option is on Celebrity Reflection

Nassau Bahamas  
St. Thomas, US Virigin Islands

Phillipsburg, Saint Martin

Any information you could provide is extremely helpful and appreciative 🙂 Thanks!!

St. Thomas is a crowded shopping mall, Falmouth is dismal.  San Juan is a beautiful old Spanish colonial city and Half Moon Cay is a lovely, largely unspoiled beach experience.  St. Maarten is my favorite island, but Nassau is the pits - so I'd go with Nieuw Statendam and go across to St. John rather than hang out on St. Thomas (the Walmart of the Caribbean).

• Like 4

Nieuw Statendam has the most interesting itinerary. We've sailed Nieuw Amsterdam which is a previous generation ship and Celebrity Reflection. We enjoyed both ships but the Statendam does look quite lovely. 

Turks & Caicos - One of my favorite islands to just chill. The beach is right next to the ship. Not a whole lot to do on this island but chill and I like it.

San Juan, Puerto Rico - My favorite destination in the Caribbean. SO MUCH to do on this island. This past March we did a food tour with San Juan Food Tours and it was awesome.

St. Thomas U.S Virigin Islands - Beautiful island, lots of snorkeling excursions here, more food tours and a lovely island to visit.

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas - Their private island, pretty much a beach resort. 

I do love St. Maarten, but Reflection is also going to Nassau which is a very boring port for us, we stay on the ship in Nassau. Soon they will have a new pier with new options nearby so we might start getting off the ship.

Falmouth is an absolute 'no-go' for us. We won't leave the port area, even on a ship excursion. It's the one of the few ports in the Caribbean where we don't feel safe leaving the port area. 

So for me, from the choices you gave, it would be Nieuw Statendam. 

One other plus for Nieuw Statendam, they have AWESOME private cabanas on the top decks. We rented one for the entire week on Nieuw Amsterdam and it's the best cabana experience we've had across 8 different cruise lines so far. If you want to splurge a little, get one of these cabanas. 

https://halfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/HAL_2018_Cabanas.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off the New Amersterdam.   
First they changed our ports even BEFORE Hurricane Ian stating “operational issues” Ok we will roll with the punches.
Check in experience was different but there was an unnecessary wait even with staggered embarkation times.  They started boarding late.

Disembarkation: Best ever!

They are unstaffed.

Room staff only one service; hit and miss on ice.  Found stuff from previous guest in room. But the team had like 40 Rooms To deal with! once again roll with the punches.

Bar runner waitstaff.  slow.  At actual bar tops  where you sit in front of bartender, great service, etc.

They are making the waiters handle bar service during dinner and no more wine stewards!

Food below par: quality, quantity, variety, etc.

Room service you could not get them to answer the phone.

TV had issues. Only two channels whole cruise.

I had to fix the shower.

Air conditioning work in the room but it was hit or miss. 

Internet paid for the premium package: it never worked as the premium package when it bothered to work. 

Best show was comedy show in BB kings.

Main stage was under utilized.

Breakfast and dinner are the main dining room times. No lunch service.

Breakfast in main dining room is slow and chaotic . 

Room nice size; balcony ok.

Photography : very limited. 

Don’t expect deals from the shops. You can do as well on mainland in USA.

They did not have lemons and many others things for the first two days because their inventory system is not up to it’s past standards like many things.  I believe most of these troubles are due to corporate.  

Best: the crew was friendly but way, way overworked. 

Edited by Roxymax
Add ac issue
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 6:48 PM, navybankerteacher said:

St. Thomas is a crowded shopping mall, Falmouth is dismal.  San Juan is a beautiful old Spanish colonial city and Half Moon Cay is a lovely, largely unspoiled beach experience.  St. Maarten is my favorite island, but Nassau is the pits - so I'd go with Nieuw Statendam and go across to St. John rather than hang out on St. Thomas (the Walmart of the Caribbean).

I would also choose the Niew Statendam. Old San Juan is a wonderful time walking the old city. We go to St. John and Trunk Bay every visit. 

• Like 1