Freedom vs Liberty vs Independence, advice?

linga

Hi There!  I've been on Freedom of the Seas but not Liberty or Independence.   I'm booking another 3 day cruise and trying to decide between the 3.   Are they all pretty much alike?   thanks for any thoughts & advice!  🙂

1 minute ago, linga said:

Hi There!  I've been on Freedom of the Seas but not Liberty or Independence.   I'm booking another 3 day cruise and trying to decide between the 3.   Are they all pretty much alike?   thanks for any thoughts & advice!  🙂

Sort of….But with amplification there are differences in things like the slides, etc.  Just look on the website at each and you will see the differences.  The general layouts remain the same and the major venues remain mostly the same.  Barring some particular needs or worry about how long since dry dock, I’d pick based on other facts besides specific ship.  

I would pick independence which was amped.

Liberty I was just on. TV in cabins doesnt work unless docked or near a dock for tv news, we got movies. TV at pool cant be fixed until dry dock. Been broken since covid.

I've heard much better things about independence. 

16 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I would pick independence which was amped.

Liberty I was just on. TV in cabins doesnt work unless docked or near a dock for tv news, we got movies. TV at pool cant be fixed until dry dock. Been broken since covid.

I've heard much better things about independence. 

Thank you!

21 minutes ago, topnole said:

Sort of….But with amplification there are differences in things like the slides, etc.  Just look on the website at each and you will see the differences.  The general layouts remain the same and the major venues remain mostly the same.  Barring some particular needs or worry about how long since dry dock, I’d pick based on other facts besides specific ship.  

Thanks!  I did compare on the website too. 🙂

I would pick Freedom over Independence. I have been on both ships in the last month and Freedom just looks nicer and is cleaner. I wouldn’t hesitate going on Independence again, but even though Port Canaveral is closer to my house, I would still prefer Freedom even though it means an hour longer drive. 

I have been to Coco Cay 13 times since it was upgraded and have spent a lot of time at the swim up bar in the Oasis pool. When we were there on Independence, bartenders from the Independence would not serve you unless you had your card with you. Every other time I have been there, including a week ago on Freedom, you simply told the bartender what ship you are on and your cabin number. Not really a big deal, but the bartenders on Independence weren’t as friendly and out-going as I am used to on other RCI ships. I was with several friends on Independence and they all felt the same way. We think it is probably a leadership issue on Independence as opposed to a bartender issue, but that is just a guess. 

I would not go on Liberty until if/when she gets amped. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

8 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I would pick Freedom over Independence. I have been on both ships in the last month and Freedom just looks nicer and is cleaner. I wouldn’t hesitate going on Independence again, but even though Port Canaveral is closer to my house, I would still prefer Freedom even though it means an hour longer drive. 

I have been to Coco Cay 13 times since it was upgraded and have spent a lot of time at the swim up bar in the Oasis pool. When we were there on Independence, bartenders from the Independence would not serve you unless you had your card with you. Every other time I have been there, including a week ago on Freedom, you simply told the bartender what ship you are on and your cabin number. Not really a big deal, but the bartenders on Independence weren’t as friendly and out-going as I am used to on other RCI ships. I was with several friends on Independence and they all felt the same way. We think it is probably a leadership issue on Independence as opposed to a bartender issue, but that is just a guess. 

I would not go on Liberty until if/when she gets amped. 

Thanks for the info!!

I had no issues with Indy; loved our B2B in July and going again in 20 days but I'm jealous of El Loco Fresh on Freedom.

Having sailed mostly Oasis class for many years, I miss having an included (free) venue besides the standard MDR/WJ/Sorrentos/Cafe Promenade.

No decision for me since PC is so close but figured I'd share. They're obviously quite similar.

• Like 1

I am partial to freedom since at the time it was put into service it was the biggest cruise ship in the world, and one of the original captains, Erik Tengelsen, was a good friend of mine from the Sovereign of the seas days,,,,

we were on Liberty a few weeks ago. If people are looking for perfection, keep looking. For sure, if you look hard enough you will find some things that are old, faded, maybe needing to be replaced. Yes, the big screen at the pool is out of order and the tv's in the room wasn't worth watching. These didn't bother me . Saying that, we had a great time. Good food, good service. Beds were comfortable, at least the one we had. Liberty has one water slide no other Royal ship has, The Tidal Wave. I went on it numerous times with my 8 year old granddaughter. It was awesome. It has been years since since we have been on either Freedom or Indy , so I can't comment on those ships.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2022 at 3:18 PM, linga said:

Our first Royal experience was on Liberty out of Galveston. Since we had no previous experience with Royal we had nothing to compare it to. We LOVED it! We had cabin 8500 which to date is the best room we have ever had on a cruise. Two separate bedrooms plus a huge living room. Only one bath but there are just three of us and it worked. The shower was a little small but the room was so comfortable. We really enjoyed everything on the ship and would definitely go back if we could get the same room. Not a fan of western Caribbean itinerary and unlikely we would do that route again. All and all a great experience. 

• Like 1

My preference between the 3 was always Liberty because of the entertainment.  I really enjoyed Saturday Night Fever and In the Air.  It's been years though, so I don't know what's playing today on those ships.  

• Like 1

All things being equal such as departure city and ease of access to the port, if they all sailed from the same port on the same day I'd rank them:

1. Freedom

2. Indy

3. Liberty

If Liberty ever gets amped that could change.

Truth be told they are all great ships and I'd sail them all but Liberty is in need of her postponed amplification.

We only did Liberty and both times a grand suite, this was a few years ago but both were great cruises. All have ice shows Liberty has Saturday night fever which is good , not sure what plays the other two have , I thought one had grease.