Self serve alcohol in retreat lounge

Susanb10567

When I was on the Edge this summer there was no self serve beer or wine in the retreat lounge. In my prior cruises on the Summit (pre -COVID) and the Edge two other sailings since the restart that was always available. When we enquired we were told that it is was due to underage passengers taking these items. Just curious if this was a fleet wide policy or it is still available self serve on other ships. 

If true, another example of punishing the masses for the misdeeds of a few. If minors getting their hands on alcohol in the Retreat lounge was an issue , then it was incumbent upon the parents to do a better job at parenting and Retreat lounge personnel doing a better job of monitoring  who was helping themselves. No different than a bar tender having the responsibility of carding individuals who appear to be under age. Having said all that, on Silhouette there was self serve beer and soft drinks in the lounge. But that was in 2019. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 4

There was self serve beer & wine when we were on the Edge and Apex.  It’s unfortunate that parents don’t keep and eye on their kids, but unfortunately some parents bring the kids but think they are on vacation from parenting.  We saw it on the Retreat Sundeck in April where there were 2 young boys(12-13ish) day after day bored to death sitting there while Mom & Dad socialized and drank.   They boys kept asking if they could go to the pool but the parents wouldn’t go with them to the main pool where there was much more going on and a bunch of kids.  At some point they may have decided to have some fun that had a negative impact on other passengers. I blame the parents.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jelayne said:

There was self serve beer & wine when we were on the Edge and Apex.  It’s unfortunate that parents don’t keep and eye on their kids, but unfortunately some parents bring the kids but think they are on vacation from parenting.  We saw it on the Retreat Sundeck in April where there were 2 young boys(12-13ish) day after day bored to death sitting there while Mom & Dad socialized and drank.   They boys kept asking if they could go to the pool but the parents wouldn’t go with them to the main pool where there was much more going on and a bunch of kids.  At some point they may have decided to have some fun that had a negative impact on other passengers. I blame the parents.

On 10/2/2022 at 4:44 PM, gold1953 said:

if they suddenly require masks it means that there are a lot of cases . It will spread through the crew and they will be very short staffed. Then cruisers complain

On 10/2/2022 at 2:40 AM, the penguins said:

We have done 4 post Covid cruises including a B2B and have had no significant issues. Food, service and entertainment all excellent. A few minor supply issues which anyone new to X probably wouldn't even notice. If portion sizes are an issue just order double. You can still order extra starters, mains and desserts just as previously. Relax and enjoy 

32 minutes ago, LinRon3 said:

Just a question, what is the most OBC that people have received? Is there some limitation? We always apply for our shareholder benefits, but we have not gotten any credit for it on a couple of occasions. Like now, as we are on the Symphony Oct. 15 and have applied now 3 times via snail mail [like we always do].  We figured they might not like our August statement [to mail apply 21 days prior etc], so now we've applied using our Sept. Statements [both my wife and I own shares in seperate accounts].   But since sent in 1st of month, only a couple of weeks until cruise [possibly not enough time as they recommend that 21 days].  

But we already has $100 OBC but not sure why [sometime our T.Agency provides and other perks but we never seem to be notified exactly why].  I think the fine print says the shareholder benefit MIGHT not be combinable with certain 'other' discounts or credits...but nothing ever explains exactly why one way or another.  All we can is keep applying we suppose.  We don't want to seem greedy either, but if the benefit exists and we qualify [and we can't see why we wouldn't]...well, seems almost on a whim whether or not we receive the benefit [someone having a bad day or something and our application gets thrown in the trash or something]?  There must be SOME reason...right?  Why can't they inform us one way or another and why?  

7 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Absolutely!!!

We did several cruises on the Summit pre-covid (which is where our Zenith "celebration" was held in 2017 --  or was it 2016?)  and I do not remember any self-serve alcohol options. Cruises pre-covid I also don't remember any self-serve alcohol options either.  Since the resumption of sailing we have done seven cruises (three different ships) and, again, no self-serve alcohol serving on any. 

15 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We did several cruises on the Summit pre-covid (which is where our Zenith "celebration" was held in 2017 --  or was it 2016?)  and I do not remember any self-serve alcohol options. Cruises pre-covid I also don't remember any self-serve alcohol options either.  Since the resumption of sailing we have done seven cruises (three different ships) and, again, no self-serve alcohol serving on any. 

On Summit pre-covid I don't recall any self serve alcohol. On Edge post-covid I absolutely recall self serve beer and wine.

We just got off Reflection a couple of weeks ago and the Retreat Lounge (still Michael's Club on Reflection) and there was fully stocked large coolers fully stocked with beers and soft drinks to help yourself to - Never saw any kids in Michael's on our sailing

Edited by barneymag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JonoBhoy said:

Each to their own but in the retreat lounge, even If self serve was available,  I would much rather have a fresh drink brought over for the main bar

I agree but the self serve is very convenient if you’re looking to grab and go. DH and I helped ourselves to a few waters and beers to take with us when we stopped in Bonaire. Our butler gave us some ice. We put all this in a backpack and had a picnic on big rock overlooking the water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I agree but the self serve is very convenient if you’re looking to grab and go. DH and I helped ourselves to a few waters and beers to take with us when we stopped in Bonaire. Our butler gave us some ice. We put all this in a backpack and had a picnic on big rock overlooking the water. 

That sounds very nice. Do you recall where you purchased the food?

13 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I think that anyone, including Celebrity, who expects an 18-20 year old to not take advantage of a self-serve alcohol fridge is crazy.  Unfortunately, it's just not practical.  It's also not the responsibility of the parents to monitor their "children" who are grown adults.

I took the op to mean children, ie 15-17 y/o. Something my teen girls would have attempted. The 18-20 crowd are not kids in my book. They are young adults and I believe a waiver can be signed allowing them to beer and wine. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, RichYak said:

That sounds very nice. Do you recall where you purchased the food?

https://www.hangoutbeachbar.com/

wonderful open air beach bar. We ordered some burgers to go and sat at the bar to watch the view while we waited. This bar is on the golf cart path. Highly recommend both if you go there! 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

The Edge class ships designed the Retreat Lounge to be self serve and eliminated bartenders. The Revolutionized M & S class still have the bar because they transformed Michael's into the lounge and kept the bar setup the same. 

I was on Equinox last year and did not notice if they had self serve beer but I do remember soda and water.

26 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I think that anyone, including Celebrity, who expects an 18-20 year old to not take advantage of a self-serve alcohol fridge is crazy.  Unfortunately, it's just not practical.  It's also not the responsibility of the parents to monitor their "children" who are grown adults.

I'm middle aged and my mom still monitors my behavior (from several hundred miles away, thank goodness). Given that the 18-20 yo "adults" probably didn't pay their own suite fare, they'd better behave. (And as an 18-20, were I lucky enough that my parents took me on a cruise, I wouldn't have helped myself. Not everyone is a rule breaker.)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Not for sailings out of the USA and certain other jurisdictions.

huh...interesting.  We met a family on MSC who were traveling with their 19 y/o daughter.  She was allowed wine when with her parents because they signed a waiver.  We sailed from MIA.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

huh...interesting.  We met a family on MSC who were traveling with their 19 y/o daughter.  She was allowed wine when with her parents because they signed a waiver.  We sailed from MIA.

Different lines may have different policies. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCPIV said:

Different lines may have different policies. 

Got it.  So then it's not as much the law or jurisdiction as it is the cruise line policy.  Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.  Were I a parent of a 18-20 y/o who wanted to enjoy a beer or wine while in my company on a cruise and I couldn't sign a waiver on Celebrity due to their policy, then I might be inclined to find a line like NCL or MSC who does have such a waiver.

49 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

https://www.hangoutbeachbar.com/

wonderful open air beach bar. We ordered some burgers to go and sat at the bar to watch the view while we waited. This bar is on the golf cart path. Highly recommend both if you go there! 

Thanks! We already have the golf carts reserved and will put this on our itinerary when we're there in March. It looks perfect.

• Like 1