Mariner moseying down to Mexico

flossie009

Actually, things often change for the better.  There are lots of "things" in life.  

Been a life experience when doing the cruiser thing not to be a potted plant when a certain aspect comes up short of reasonable--reasonable expectations.  Escalate, in a kind manner, to the next supervisory level.  

That about sums it up.  Not going further down the rabbit hole on this one.  

Stay safe, everyone.  And, stay OFF the elevators when on a Regent ship with a limited number of decks. We did so--but still got "the bug".  On numerous occasions, observed open elevator doors.   Five or six folks crammed inside.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DDDDale said:

.  Just curious, do Seabourne and Silverseas provide wine lists?  It may seem like kind of minor and picky point but sometimes decisions are made on minor and picky points.

FWIW, we have learned (and I totally agree this should not be necessary) on both Regent and Seabourn (have been on both this year as well as many times in the past) to ask for a printed included wines list to be sent to our cabin shortly after boarding. We usually seek out a head sommelier in one of the restaurants for this purpose. Usually we get it before the first dinner. If not we will ask for a specific region/wine such as Marlborough Sauvignon blanc or Napa Cabernet, etc.  We typically find three or four wines we like and stick with them. We also find the sommeliers in the specialty restaurants are very helpful and often go to one of them early in the cruise and seek out their ideas on included wines.
Doesn’t always work perfectly as on our most recent Seabourn cruise several of the included wines were unavailable and there were included wines not on the printed list. 

• Like 2

I was on the 3-15 October Mariner cruise, and at the risk of "beating a dead horse", I feel compelled to endorse several of the comments made by other passengers.  

The observations about the poor and slow service at Compass Rose are accurate.  However, the restaurant staff should not be blamed; they should be commended for doing the best they could under trying conditions. We too were served by Prenay on several nights; he excelled in spite of being responsible for too many tables. Other servers in CR likewise were responsible for too many tables.  Even a bigger problem causing this poor service were large numbers of passengers from the 70 person TA Cruise Connection group descending on CR at the same time- putting additional stress on the restaurant staff. This poor service is a RSSC management problem that needs to be fixed by RSSC management- it is not the fault of those who served us. 

We too took precautions to avoid COVID. We are fully vaccinated and boosted; we took a COVID test before boarding. We always wore masks except when eating- whether in the hallways, in the laundry room or on buses for tours. We almost always took the stairs and did not go into the theater except to pick up tour tickets. In the few times we used the elevator, we made sure we were the only two in it. Not all were as cautious. We were in the definite minority of those wearing masks. While the crew wore masks wore masks at the beginning of the cruise, this requirement ended a few days after we departed LA. We observed excessive coughing that got worse as the cruise progressed. I mention this because I believe the number COVID infections emanating from these cruises are understated. A couple we know contracted COVID on the cruise and were quarantined. My spouse contracted COVID upon return- as did the other passengers who wrote on this blog. I have no doubt there are other non-reported COVID cases.

My spouse and I have many nights cruising (mostly on RSSC) and have half a dozen cruises planned with RSSC over the next few years. While we are RRSC fans, I write this note to put in perspective, albeit from my point of view, some of the legitimate issues and problems that occurred on this cruise and need to be highlighted, addressed and most importantly fixed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DDDDale said:

Well, I’m sure THAT’s more than you wanted to read (assuming anyone read it) but since I have received no questionnaire from Regent I thought I’d avail myself of this opportunity.

I am finishing up similar 10 day itinerary on Mariner. We loved every aspect if our cruise except poor quality of enrichment sessions and entertainment could have been better. Dining service and food quality were flawless. We were given opportunity to complete lengthy questionnaire on line during last two days of the cruise. It was a fairly user friendly process with reasonable quality internet access for a cruise ship.

4 hours ago, DDDDale said:

Regarding wine, I guess my expectation is that I shouldn’t have to work so hard to find out what wines are available.  “Luxury” means not having to work at it.  I shouldn’t need to know the tricks or the work arounds.  If I don’t like the offered red or white I’d rather see the totality of what’s available rather than just try another of their choosing, and then maybe another until they finally produce one I like.  Again, too much work.  Another night I asked “isn’t there an actual wine list?”  I was given a very nice and lengthy menu of “connoisseur wines.”  If they have that list I can’t imagine why they couldn’t produce a list of “included" wines.  There IS a reason of course.  It’s much more efficient to say “red or white?”  A certain percentage of patrons will just accept this limited choice and some won’t.  At the bar, where they do have a very limited “list”, I saw that they had Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio which I know and like so I just stuck with that for the entire cruise.  Again, to me that is somewhat lacking in “luxury”.  Just curious, do Seabourne and Silverseas provide wine lists?  It may seem like kind of minor and picky point but sometimes decisions are made on minor and picky points.

I agree that trying to get a list of included wines is a ridiculous endeavor for a so-called luxury experience. I don't understand why Regent doesn't just give guests a list of available wines. Instead guests have to go through questions to sommeliers who often appear overly busy or offer only a couple options.  Just give me a list and if I have questions about some of the wines, then I can ask the sommeliers or I can taste some of them myself.

Having sailed frequently with Regent, I know some of the ways of finding out what wines are available, but it shouldn't be so difficult to do so.  And guests shouldn't have to waste time trying to ferret out something that could be easily provided.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruisetheCs said:

I agree that trying to get a list of included wines is a ridiculous endeavor for a so-called luxury experience. I don't understand why Regent doesn't just give guests a list of available wines. Instead guests have to go through questions to sommeliers who often appear overly busy or offer only a couple options.  Just give me a list and if I have questions about some of the wines, then I can ask the sommeliers or I can taste some of them myself.

Having sailed frequently with Regent, I know some of the ways of finding out what wines are available, but it shouldn't be so difficult to do so.  And guests shouldn't have to waste time trying to ferret out something that could be easily provided.

As on some other luxury lines with "inclusive" wines (meaning generally cheap), they want to make it easy for pax to get the less desirable wines (the ones they comes around with and push, usually one specific red and one specific white each evening regardless of what you are eating  ), and reserve the somewhat better (though still cheap) wines for the truly motivated, e.g., those who fuss and persevere.  They know the  fussers (or ferreters, if you will) are a minority, and train staff accordingly.

It has been part of the profit game for several years. But for many pax, e.g., those not that into wine, they feel special and happy to get a "luxury experience", i.e., included wine.

A few years ago DH and I also went on an expensive Regent excursion (scenic touring in Italy and then lunch with wine in a famous "luxury" restaurant).  There were, as I recall, five varied food courses (from shellfish to beef).  The menu had nothing to do with the menu the restaurant was famous for, and each course was served with the same 7 Euro bottle of white pinot grigio wine.  

We now know better than to book such a profit generator excursion , and either buy or bring our own wines as often as possible to meals on "luxury" cruises where wine is included (a couple exceptions).  

The disingenuous "included luxury wine" game is one reason I prefer an upscale line where you have to pay for your wine -- that way you choose, decide if the markup is ok,  and know what you are getting.  You also know that it hasn't been sitting around getting oxygenated for a couple days as an "included' wine that did not finish getting drunk.

• Like 2

Wow....lots of negatives, especially concerning wines.  I'm not a wine connoisseur by any means, which means I like what I like.  I don't particularly want to see a wine list as I'm not a wine connoisseur so I really don't know enough to pick.  So I rely on the Sommelier to guide me in ny choice.  If I am not interested in a white being offered, I'll ask for a different one and ask his or her suggestion. Works every time.  This doesn't mean I'm one of "those not that into wine, they feel special and happy to get a "luxury experience", i.e., included wine," it means I don't know about wine so I ask the expert.   That IS the "luxury experience."  

It's worked well for me.  

As for Covid.... well, we did a 40 night cruise from May 28-July 7, spent a week in England after the cruise. We did not mask or anything else.  We got through the entire vacations Covid free.   

But here's MY Covid story.  In 2021 we had Thanksgiving with our daughter in law's extended family, followed a week later with 3 days in Jacksonville, Fl. for a crowded Jimmy Buffett concert, followed by Christmas with extended family, followed by a 7 night New Years Cruise with 1500 of "our closest friends" including airport visits to and from the cruise.  NO COVID!  A month later we took care of our 2 grandsons for a weekend, seeing NO ONE but the grandkids, and I came home with Covid.  My wife remained Negative. 

Sorry y'all, this is just "life in the new decade."  It's not Regent's fault, or anyone else's, it's just what we now know is the "new normal."  Guess we'll all have to live with it. 

Party. on!  🥃🍷🥂🍹🍺😎

• Like 8

9 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

7 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

As on some other luxury lines with "inclusive" wines (meaning generally cheap), they want to make it easy for pax to get the less desirable wines (the ones they comes around with and push, usually one specific red and one specific white each evening regardless of what you are eating  ), and reserve the somewhat better (though still cheap) wines for the truly motivated, e.g., those who fuss and persevere.  They know the  fussers (or ferreters, if you will) are a minority, and train staff accordingly.

It has been part of the profit game for several years. But for many pax, e.g., those not that into wine, they feel special and happy to get a "luxury experience", i.e., included wine.

A few years ago DH and I also went on an expensive Regent excursion (scenic touring in Italy and then lunch with wine in a famous "luxury" restaurant).  There were, as I recall, five varied food courses (from shellfish to beef).  The menu had nothing to do with the menu the restaurant was famous for, and each course was served with the same 7 Euro bottle of white pinot grigio wine.  

We now know better than to book such a profit generator excursion , and either buy or bring our own wines as often as possible to meals on "luxury" cruises where wine is included (a couple exceptions).  

The disingenuous "included luxury wine" game is one reason I prefer an upscale line where you have to pay for your wine -- that way you choose, decide if the markup is ok,  and know what you are getting.  You also know that it hasn't been sitting around getting oxygenated for a couple days as an "included' wine that did not finish getting drunk.

I agree 100%, well said.  The whole included wine quality and transparency on Regent, SS and SS is a major shortcoming.  On Oceania you buy the premium wine package ($120 day for two) and they tell you all the wines available, so they could do the same with included wines on Regent.  If this is some attempt to save money by pouring cheaper wines to unknowing (or caring) customers just charge us another $20-30 a day and have lists and wines readily available. "Six Star" Luxury ???

DDD another recent  Regent cruiser had the same issue but once they insisted with the sommelier a list appeared.

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 1

I don't profess or pretend to know anything about wine or its regions but I do know what I like and what I don't. If others wish to have recommendations, fine - I only want a wine list, how hard can it be?

• Thanks 1

DDDALE, thanks for your honest representation of your experience.  It is unfortunate that things didn't go as well as you hoped. 

When reading threads like this i am always glad to remember that there are other cruise lines that may work better for you. Regent has a way of doing things, right or wrong, and if the way they do things doesn't work for you, maybe another cruise line will work better for the things that are important to you. Regent for whatever reason made the decision to not print wine lists for everyone, if this is a problem for you, there are work arounds if you are prepared to expend the energy or if this doesn't make sense to you, maybe another cruise line will provide you with what you want. I don't see them changing this policy that has been effect for as long as they have been all-inclusive. 

I enjoy a glass of wine or two and like what i like but am no expert and i am fine with not having a wine list as there is a good chance i won't know the wineries that are on the list. I like specific varietals based on what i am eating and if that is not what they are serving I simply ask for 1 or 2 other varietals i think will work for me. Can't remember this ever being a problem. 

• Like 5

We were on Navigator,NY to Montreal in September . It was our first Regent cruise.. On embarkation day while we were having lunch in La Veranda, we met the Head Sommelier. I asked if I could see 

the all inclusive wine list. That evening , the list was delivered to our cabin.

On our previous cruise line which is currently in hiatus, I was always able to get the inclusive wine list on embarkation day. So I did not think that receiving it on the Regent cruise was unusual.  Guess I was lucky.

On 10/24/2022 at 5:11 PM, Huggsy said:

We took our first cruise with Regent in February and I can totally empathise with you regarding the non existent wine list. Being shown a red and a white at your table then expecting to choose either didn't demonstrate a luxury cruise line experience. Trying to pin down what wines were available made us feel uncomfortable as if we should just drink what was put in front of us, and in our opinion was often an inferior drop. Overall I couldn't fault anything else, it was superb but for our next cruise in April I'm wondering how we can tackle this issue at the beginning to avoid this awkwardness. 

We mentioned this in our mid cruise comments and the next day we had a printed wine list delivered to our room with a breakdown by bar and restaurant.  I know it wasn't an exhaustive list, but I appreciated having more than two options!

• Thanks 1

The 'original' idea when (then) Radisson Seven Seas went all-inclusive was that they provided a nice red and white of particular types each night at dinner, changing every night.  And if you didn't care for that wine, they would suggest alternatives of included wines.  There was no list.  Theoretically that 'nice' wine was good enough that most people were happy.  And if you liked a particular style of wine, once you'd found it, your servers would get it for you. And if you wanted to splurge, you could buy a premium bottle.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

The 'original' idea when (then) Radisson Seven Seas went all-inclusive was that they provided a nice red and white of particular types each night at dinner, changing every night.  And if you didn't care for that wine, they would suggest alternatives of included wines.  There was no list.  Theoretically that 'nice' wine was good enough that most people were happy.  And if you liked a particular style of wine, once you'd found it, your servers would get it for you. And if you wanted to splurge, you could buy a premium bottle.

This works very well for most, including us. We know what we like in wines and the staff finds something we like.in the red and whites and we go with those.
If you expect fine high end dinning like in fine land based restaurants that serve many less people a day, you will be disappointed. Even with the smaller Regent ships, they are serving 500 to 700 people a night for dinner. If fine wine matched to your meal every night is what you need to be happy maybe cruising is not for you at least on Regent. Luxury for many if no most Regent cruisers is not having to sign a check with every drink, good food and a delightful, friendly helpful staff.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cwn said:

This works very well for most, including us. We know what we like in wines and the staff finds something we like.in the red and whites and we go with those.
If you expect fine high end dinning like in fine land based restaurants that serve many less people a day, you will be disappointed. Even with the smaller Regent ships, they are serving 500 to 700 people a night for dinner. If fine wine matched to your meal every night is what you need to be happy maybe cruising is not for you at least on Regent. Luxury for many if no most Regent cruisers is not having to sign a check with every drink, good food and a delightful, friendly helpful staff.

Well said.

1 hour ago, cwn said:

I hadn’t intended to say anything additional on the matter of wine LISTS but can’t help myself.  I must have missed a post where someone suggested the desire or expectation for “fine wine matched to your meal every night.”  I know I certainly didn’t mention such, not even close.  All I wanted was a list of available wines; preferably provided without asking but at least available after one casual request of a waiter.   You can make more of that if you wish but that’s all there is.  

Ddddale

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2022 at 5:45 PM, DDDDale said:

I asked for a list of included wines on two separate nights of two different wine pourers and was told such a thing did not exist.  Things change and unfortunately rarely for the better.

There is a wine list and the head sommelier can usually produce it quickly. Or "create" one. However, most wine stewards either don't know about it, or are told not to mention it. Head Maitre D can also help (Jason in this recent matter). But we stopped asking for it as it's a hit and miss. We always try the wine of the day to see if we like it (it's listed on the menu). But when we don't like it ...we tell the wine steward what type of wine we like...  red, syrah, full bodied etc... and usually within a short time, we get a great recommendation ... we we like it (and usually do), this becomes our go-to stand by for the next nights. I usually works out. I say usually, because the wine staff on the mariner on your trip and the trip before (we were on that one), was less than "stellar". New, unexperienced and frankly overwhelmed I guess. So they just walked around with red and white and were engaging. Only one or two. I even talked to the Beverage Manager about it and he acknowledged a training issue. Also seems that the Head Sommelier was not on board or unavailable. Never saw him or her. A person I thought was it, told me she was trying to fill in as much as possible. So in short...this was not the normal situation in the wine department.  You already figured out the other routine for CR. Find a section and waiter you like and things relax. Joseph is a great example as GoArmy mentioned. Unfortunately, his section also had the less stellar wine servers.... Win some, lose some 🙂

I am not a wine person and due to a limited sense of smell, I miss many finer points of taste.  The problem i see with requesting a wine list is that it may or may not be accurate as some of the less called for bottles are used up and the assortment of odds and ends remain on the shelf.  My wife's taste in wine was a little above that of Boones Farm, but they would work with her and find something she liked which then would be offered each night.  I found it best to simply ask what they thought would go best with what I planned to order for dinner. 

Exactly about the odds and ends of bottles. I have been told that when traveling in wine regions Regent takes on wines of the area and feature them while in the area. This was the case on the WC and when we did a circle SA cruise. They always have a few orphan bottles of reds and whites that they can bring out from previous cruises, but not enough for a formal list. On the 2018 WC I found a red that I loved so the wine steward put our suite # in it, where was enough for almost the whole trip.

I can’t stress enough to go to the wine tasting of the wines readily available on your cruise especially if you are picky. It is usually in the morning of the first sea day, a tasting with almost one on one help so you can find some wines to your liking. Then you can ask for that wine at the meal… it is really easy and fun to find wines you like with the tasting and the input of the staff there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DDDDale said:

All I wanted was a list of available wines; preferably provided without asking but at least available after one casual request of a waiter.   You can make more of that if you wish but that’s all there is.  

Ddddale

Agree!  Getting a list of included wines should not be any more complicated than getting a dinner menu or a dessert menu (which change daily).  Imagine having no dinner menus and instead a "chef" must come to each table and offer suggestions: 

"Tonight we are featuring a crusted salmon cutlet sourced from Norway or pork cutlets sourced from the United States featuring a delicious mushroom sauce.  Would you like one of those choices?"

"What else do you have on the menu?"

"What are you looking for?  Do you prefer a red meat dish or a white fish dish?  We also have vegetarian dishes."

"I like beef, but I also like pork, and chicken.  My partner here likes seafood.  Do you have any kind of stewed beef?"

"Not this evening, I regret.  But we do have a wonderfully tender steak sourced from the pastures of New Zealand, pan seared.  Would you like to try that?'

Well, do you have any other kind of meat dishes?"----and the conversations goes on and on.....

Just give me a list of included wines and if I have questions about the various wines, I can ask about them, just as if I have questions about the desserts or appetizers. Wine lists, like all the menus, can be updated as needed. And for those who like asking questions, one can always ask, "Do you have any wines that are not on the wine list."  😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a thought about this whole wine issue.  As someone said, they're serving 500-700 passengers a night.  So each person gets a comprehensive list of wines.  Now each person decides to order a wine specific to their taste, or 500-700 potentially different bottles opened each night.  What does Regent do with 500-700 bottles of wine opened each night,  many only opened for one or two glasses?  And will you accept a wine that was opened for someone else yesterday? Or will you demand they open a new bottle?  

How do they stock a ship, especially a small ship, with such an extensive list of wine and enough bottles of each for 10 nights or longer?   

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Just a thought about this whole wine issue.  As someone said, they're serving 500-700 passengers a night.  So each person gets a comprehensive list of wines.  Now each person decides to order a wine specific to their taste, or 500-700 potentially different bottles opened each night.  What does Regent do with 500-700 bottles of wine opened each night,  many only opened for one or two glasses?  And will you accept a wine that was opened for someone else yesterday? Or will you demand they open a new bottle?  

How do they stock a ship, especially a small ship, with such an extensive list of wine and enough bottles of each for 10 nights or longer?   

1.  Unless I'm misunderstanding, what many pax want is a list of *included* (no extra charge) wines to be easily provided, to avoid guesswork.  I don't know how many Regent has, but comparable competitors (e.g., SB and SS) may have 25-30 available and I think it is in that range (maybe less since Covid, I haven't been on Regent since 2019).

2.  There is no realistic danger of "500 potentially different bottles" of included wine  opened each night

a) first, there are only 30 or so included, if that (they may also just be out of some) -- see #1

b) many people (especially on a cruise that caters to Americans) don't order wine (not a jab, just a fact)

c) IF people get wine, most are happy with the generic white or the generic red of the day that is easily poured (either because they don't care about wine pairing , or don't want to deal with the wait that ordering a wine that is not already "right there" requires, e.g., don't want to hold up dining companions, or have a show to get to, etc. 

3.  There are various devices, such as Coravin  or similar , that allow wine stewards to extract just 1 glass from a bottle of wine, without violating the cork.  These bottles can then have wine served from them quite a few nights or even weeks in a row.

There is also the older method of using a vacuum, or gas, to help preserve integrity of a wine at least 1-2 days (so not as long as a Coravin), maybe longer on a bold red

4.  Deciding how much wine to stock, for how many guests, on how long a voyage, is what a skilled professional's job is,  e.g., the food and beverage manager/coordinator.

A luxury line that does this very well is Hapag Lloyd (caters primarily to German customers, though there are cruises that are English and German).  They typically have 30-40 decent "open" wines available in 0.1 liter, or 0.25 liter portions (or the whole bottle).  You do pay a reasonable markup, though (there is usually no cheap, substandard included wine that is "free" and requires game-playing, though for some speical events "free" champagne, no Prosecco, is provided). 

BTW, I have no financial interest or perks to get with HL, I am just mentioning them to show it can be done, and I have cruised with them many times. 

5.  Of course, if they would come around with better (usually but not always more expensive) whites and reds, there would be less need for game-playing

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

1.  Unless I'm misunderstanding, what many pax want is a list of *included* (no extra charge) wines to be easily provided, to avoid guesswork.  I don't know how many Regent has, but comparable competitors (e.g., SB and SS) may have 25-30 available and I think it is in that range (maybe less since Covid, I haven't been on Regent since 2019).

2.  There is no realistic danger of "500 potentially different bottles" of included wine  opened each night

a) first, there are only 30 or so included, if that (they may also just be out of some) -- see #1

b) many people (especially on a cruise that caters to Americans) don't order wine (not a jab, just a fact)

c) IF people get wine, most are happy with the generic white or the generic red of the day that is easily poured (either because they don't care about wine pairing , or don't want to deal with the wait that ordering a wine that is not already "right there" requires, e.g., don't want to hold up dining companions, or have a show to get to, etc. 

3.  There are various devices, such as Coravin  or similar , that allow wine stewards to extract just 1 glass from a bottle of wine, without violating the cork.  These bottles can then have wine served from them quite a few nights or even weeks in a row.

There is also the older method of using a vacuum, or gas, to help preserve integrity of a wine at least 1-2 days (so not as long as a Coravin), maybe longer on a bold red

4.  Deciding how much wine to stock, for how many guests, on how long a voyage, is what a skilled professional's job is,  e.g., the food and beverage manager/coordinator.

A luxury line that does this very well is Hapag Lloyd (caters primarily to German customers, though there are cruises that are English and German).  They typically have 30-40 decent "open" wines available in 0.1 liter, or 0.25 liter portions (or the whole bottle).  You do pay a reasonable markup, though (there is usually no cheap, substandard included wine that is "free" and requires game-playing, though for some speical events "free" champagne, no Prosecco, is provided). 

BTW, I have no financial interest or perks to get with HL, I am just mentioning them to show it can be done, and I have cruised with them many times. 

5.  Of course, if they would come around with better (usually but not always more expensive) whites and reds, there would be less need for game-playing

Fair enough.  But sounds like Regent might not be your "glass of wine."  Just sayin'.  They do it the way they do it and sail fairly full ships so it doesn't seem to be much of an issue.  Doubt they'll change what seems to be a winning formula. 

As I said earlier, I am not versed well enough in wine so I like to try different wines that a "professional" selects (the Sommelier) and if I like it I like it, if I don't I don't.  So I'm good with it all.  

Like many have said, ask for the list and you'll probably get one.  I don't want one because I will tend to only order something I recognize and I'll miss out on trying other wines.  

My wife is more "into" wine than me.  If she isn't interested in the daily wine, she'll ask for a type i.e. Pino Noir.  The Sommelier will let her know what' s available and what he recommends and off we go.  No need for a list for us.  

14 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Fair enough.  But sounds like Regent might not be your "glass of wine."  Just sayin'.  They do it the way they do it and sail fairly full ships so it doesn't seem to be much of an issue.  Doubt they'll change what seems to be a winning formula. 

As I said earlier, I am not versed well enough in wine so I like to try different wines that a "professional" selects (the Sommelier) and if I like it I like it, if I don't I don't.  So I'm good with it all.  

Like many have said, ask for the list and you'll probably get one.  I don't want one because I will tend to only order something I recognize and I'll miss out on trying other wines.  

My wife is more "into" wine than me.  If she isn't interested in the daily wine, she'll ask for a type i.e. Pino Noir.  The Sommelier will let her know what' s available and what he recommends and off we go.  No need for a list for us.  

"If I like it I like it, if I don't I don't."

I feel the same way!  

But, I am not "good with it all."  As the saying goes, life is too short to drink "bad" wine -- whatever tastes "bad" to that person, of course. 

Wanting and getting a list (which I ask for on every cruise) absolutely does not preclude trying the daily wines -- it can be fun to find a hidden gem that is also inexpensive (which is why it is on the included wine list)!  In our travels, we have made note of (e.g., taken a picture) of included wines  we enjoyed, then looked them up, and got more at home!

Happy sailing.

• Like 3

Hello from somewhere in the Pacific off the coast of Baja California on the way to Cabo San Lucas.

Ah yes. Wine.  Well the first night in Compass Rose, they tried to pour some swill in my glass. That was in Prime 7 and I was having seafood.  I had a delightful Wine Steward (Murphy from Dublin, Not). I won’t drink any Hess wine (bleach).  I asked what was a nice dry white and got the Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio.  Not a bad “every day” wine.  I might splurge for some Cakebread or Rombauer Chardonnay another night on the Connoisseur list later.  I remember the earlier cruises where there was a list of included wines and some where excellent.   There are some very drinkable wines on the list. We really liked the Chilean Malbec.   We had a drinkable Sauv Blanc at the Block Party tonight.  i did not read the label.   It’s a matter of tasting what they are pouring and if you don’t like it they can find something for you.

Food is excellent.  A few misses, but, mostly very good.  

Service is slow some of the time. i think though they’re not saying, there is a number of crew in quarantine with out them acknowledging.  Like i wanted to book a facial and was told there was none available this cruise.

I had the best massage ever and the wine made me forget her name.  BEST EVERl

In my mid cruise review, I’d like to know why the daily calendar of events is nowhere to be found if you are out and about.  They should be posted about the ship.  In a few places.

After dinner we could not find any live entertainment at 8:30 any where.  *****?  We ended up back at our cabin.  That’s not okay.  There should always be a venue for listening to music.  

We think 9:30 is too late for a show. There should be something to do at all times from 5pm to 10-11pm.

The laundry service is an awesome benefit.

The new Cruise Director, Jude is awesome.  She’s cheerful and everywhere and approachable.

The ship needs some more polishing.  It’s been updated a few years back and lot’s has changed for the better. It’s always been my favorite ship.  The carpet and sofa are stained.  We did ask for the upholstery to be cleaned with the stains on it.  They washed the cushion covers, but, they need to be replaced.  The carpet in the room needs refreshing.  Our suite is well appointed.  Our butler and stewards are great.

I’ll post more another day.  All that wine has made me sleepy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1