Evening Dress Code/enforcement

Rick&Susan

5 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

This is actually Bermuda formal - as long as they wear the knee socks and dress shoes.

I seem to remember a story of people being turned away from the MDR dressed like that. Cruising to and from Bermuda…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

There are only supposed to be 2 even on longer cruises according to Celebrity but my experience has been that there were 3 on 10 to 14 day cruises.

Agree. Three evening chic nights on our 12 night 21 September Summit cruise. 

• Like 1

Hey OP, don't get all excited about how others dress for dinner.  You are on a cruise. They are on a cruise.  Different strokes for different.........whatever.

My wife and I dress appropriately for dinner, but I could care less what others wear.

And, by the way, I have a huge bald spot on the top of my head, and I wear baseball caps to protect it from the sun.  Sometimes, I even wear my cap backwards.  I cannot believe that that offends you.  I do not cruise on the Queen Mary, but if I did, I would still wear baseball caps by the pool or on excursions if I were cruising the Caribbean.  What is wrong with a baseball cap?  And, I would not wear it to dinner, and I always remove it when eating lunch in the Oceanview Cafe.  

On 10/7/2022 at 3:33 PM, Rick&Susan said:

Currently on Royal's Oasis of the Seas for 1st time on Royal, regular Celebrity cruiser- disappointed to experience that & curious why men are wearing shorts (even gym shorts, not long dressy shorts) & T-shirts in specialty restaurants, MDR & public areas after 5pm, even on "Formal" nights. I've never seen this in 60 years of cruising on 12  lines & have heard a number of others commenting on it also. Upon asking about it with specialty restaurant managers, Guest Services & the Diamond Concierge, they all seem embarrassed that upper management has told them to no longer simply, apporpriately request men return to their room to put on slacks & a collared shirt. Seems to me they're pandering to a few inconsiderate guests while disappointing many more considerate guests who'd like a classier evening experience. Is this happening on Celebrity or any other lines recently also? I don't even recall it on Carnival. My bride suggests they at least sit their party by the kitchen in a separate area. :>)

Most people seem to be focused on your question about the restaurants but you also seem to be asking about other public areas after 5.  I have never seen any dress code suggestion from Celebrity for public areas after 5.  I'm sorry if it offends you, but you will often see me roaming the ship in the evening in my shorts and a T-shirt.  I change back to something more casual after dinner.   Shorts and T-shirts are acceptable in the evenings.   We can even wear swim suits for a late night hot tub dip.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lifeisrealygood said:

Hey OP, don't get all excited about how others dress for dinner.  You are on a cruise. They are on a cruise.  Different strokes for different.........whatever.

My wife and I dress appropriately for dinner, but I could care less what others wear.

And, by the way, I have a huge bald spot on the top of my head, and I wear baseball caps to protect it from the sun.  Sometimes, I even wear my cap backwards.  I cannot believe that that offends you.  I do not cruise on the Queen Mary, but if I did, I would still wear baseball caps by the pool or on excursions if I were cruising the Caribbean.  What is wrong with a baseball cap?  And, I would not wear it to dinner, and I always remove it when eating lunch in the Oceanview Cafe.  

If you over 18 , it is not cool to wear your hat backwards 😁

if only there was a hat made to keep the sun out of my eyes 🤣

1F439EFC-F1FB-4D3D-8BCE-9F8C199FD5F8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Most people seem to be focused on your question about the restaurants but you also seem to be asking about other public areas after 5.  I have never seen any dress code suggestion from Celebrity for public areas after 5.  I'm sorry if it offends you, but you will often see me roaming the ship in the evening in my shorts and a T-shirt.  I change back to something more casual after dinner.   Shorts and T-shirts are acceptable in the evenings.   We can even wear swim suits for a late night hot tub dip.

That was the dress code suggestion on Celebrity about 20 to 25 years ago. There were discussions back then on cruise forums by people who were scandalized when some passengers changed out of  formal attire after dinner. That was supposed to be a big no-no. Then passengers just did it until that suggestion disappeared. That is what happened to formal attire. The cruise line can’t and won’t enforce a dress code that passengers don’t want. A cruise is not a prison.  Cruise lines want the majority of customers happy. They don’t care if a few old timers who have been cruising for 60 years and are living in the past are unhappy. They will be gone as customers soon anyway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

If you over 18 , it is not cool to wear your hat backwards 😁

What's "cool " about it anyway ?

I once asked a " cool " looking guy applying for a job wearing his hat backwards- -

" Hey, where ya buy them hats wit da peak facin back "?

Guess who never showed up for the job??

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That was the dress code suggestion on Celebrity about 20 to 25 years ago. There were discussions back then on cruise forums by people who were scandalized when some passengers changed out of  formal attire after dinner. That was supposed to be a big no-no. Then passengers just did it until that suggestion disappeared. That is what happened to formal attire. The cruise line can’t and won’t enforce a dress code that passengers don’t want. A cruise is not a prison.  Cruise lines want the majority of customers happy. They don’t care if a few old timers who have been cruising for 60 years and are living in the past are unhappy. They will be gone as customers soon anyway. 

how bizarre a reply!  Guess ageism is alive and well among a certain population.  Look around at what X is advertising....young and dressed for the evening., mixed in with a few gen-grayers...LOL.  Maybe trying to put some class back in the line...the younger generation LOVE dressing up and looking good.  Maybe SOME of the middle generation have a problem with it.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

What's "cool " about it anyway ?

I once asked a " cool " looking guy applying for a job wearing his hat backwards- -

" Hey, where ya buy them hats wit da peak facin back "?

Guess who never showed up for the job??

What’s cool is subjective 

• Thanks 1

Everyone suggesting the dress rules aren't really that important (because Celebrity doesn't enforce them)  manages to get really upset when the rules against chair hogging are ignored. Maybe the pool venue is also just governed by personal choice and the rules are just requests.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

Everyone suggesting the dress rules aren't really that important (because Celebrity doesn't enforce them)  manages to get really upset when the rules against chair hogging are ignored. Maybe the pool venue is also just governed by personal choice and the rules are just requests.

I think the total opposite applies. People get more wound up about dress code than chair hoggers.  Celebrity doesn’t enforce many rules, if that annoys anyone enough that it spoils their cruise they shouldn’t cruise. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

I agree 100%

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

I think the total opposite applies. People get more wound up about dress code than chair hoggers.  Celebrity doesn’t enforce many rules, if that annoys anyone enough that it spoils their cruise they shouldn’t cruise. 

I think the total opposite applies, too.  If there's no consequence for not following rules, why bother to publish them?  People will do what they do anyway.

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

I think the total opposite applies, too.  If there's no consequence for not following rules, why bother to publish them?  People will do what they do anyway.

I agree entirely. They need to re-think the rules.

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

Or re-think how to manage them.

Maybe. But if they policed them properly wonder how many threads there would be on here complaining. One silly rule that makes me smile is the pool capacity at I think 14. Often you’ll see more than double that. And shorts vs trousers, really, just 20 inches of material difference and when you sit down who else knows. But hey ho.

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

Maybe, but I haven't seen any suggestions about throwing away other people's non-Chic clothes or reporting casual dressers to the staff...🙃

Edited by mayleeman

On 10/7/2022 at 11:18 PM, hmorrow said:

Nobody gets it. It’s not if other peoples clothing bothers you-,it’s about the people who aren’t adhering to the dress code, because the rules just don’t apply to THEM. Any rules.

It’s  a much deeper issue than wearing shorts in the dining room. Jmho

I get it.  That was exactly my point as well.  Whatever happened to essentially making a contractual agreement with someone and then honoring it?!  If you don't like the rules, book another type of vacation or another cruise line.  Don't just thumb your nose at the rules because you don't like them.  Low class.  Very low class.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

I think the people who don't want to follow the rules should be the ones not cruising -on Celebrity at least.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Maybe. But if they policed them properly wonder how many threads there would be on here complaining. One silly rule that makes me smile is the pool capacity at I think 14. Often you’ll see more than double that. And shorts vs trousers, really, just 20 inches of material difference and when you sit down who else knows. But hey ho.

Often the the psychology behind it isn't the actual attire, it's that people want to shame others.  As I stated above, if a VIP comes in shorts and one complains, the most satisfaction they'll receive from telling the crew is "we'll let them know" and they probably won't even do that.

Based on my observations over the past year, the crew seems to not want to risk a negative survey.