Evening Dress Code/enforcement

Rick&Susan

1 hour ago, saltymac said:

Let’s not forget that eating in the main dinning room is just the same as going to a fast food chain restaurant 

Yeah, just got back from the fast food joint down the street….enjoyed the escargot with fresh salad and lamb entree followed by an order of tiramisu …..you know, all the normal dishes I get at any of the fast food ‘restaurants’. I need to visit ‘Fort McMurray’ to try them out there!

By the way, how do those two words go together: fast food and restaurant. 

I agree with @GORDONCHICK, I do notice what others wear because I’m a people-watcher….love it!….if they just have to go everywhere in shorts and a t-shirt, it doesnt impact me, just gives me a bit of an internal Haha. 

Den

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

55 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Which brings me to say which is 'nicer', THAT or a pair of nice dark blue jeans and and nice fitted polo style shirt? 

Wouldn't want to live next door to a lime green mansion nor a 600 sq ft 1BR 1B.  Neither would do property values any good.

Poor analogy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I agree with @GORDONCHICK, I do notice what others wear because I’m a people-watcher….love it!….if they just have to go everywhere in shorts and a t-shirt, it doesnt impact me, just gives me a bit of an internal Haha. 

Den

Yes, we are people watcher too. That's why we love "Chic" night. I love seeing people's interpretation of ""Chic." We've seen everything from a 40 year old prom dress to the live green tuxedo (which looked fabulous.)

What we don't like, is Celebrity's accommodating bad behavior. We've seen it for years and it's getting worse. We've seen shows held because of late-comers, young children allowed in hot tubs and the t-pool, chair hogs, game players in the buffet during meal times, etc. Celebrity seems to allow a lot as long as no one complains. They don't seem to realize that sometimes people don't complain even though they are very annoyed. None of us want to be "that" person. 

• Like 7

Some rather incorrect accusations:

- I never said I complained to anyone. I simply told them & you that I was curious.

- I never complained about people not dressing up in tuxes or suits for Formal nights, which most cruise lines have gratefully stopped. 

- I did not bring a suit, as the current trip this cruise is part of is 30 days long & I had no other need of same. But anyone has room for a pair of slacks & a collared shirt.

- The buffet & room service have always been perfect options for those who want to remain in beach or gym wear into their evening.

- I first searched "evenng dress" & found no other threads, so I made my inquiry.

- I never criticized jeans or dressy, long shorts. For that matter, I didn't criticize anyone- as most of you ironically did me- I simply observed & expressed personal disappointment & curiosity about what other lines might be doing now. I actually received zero feedback on any specific lines that also have no policy anymore like Royal.

Yes, back to Celebrity's much better experience, food & service.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Wouldn't want to live next door to a lime green mansion nor a 600 sq ft 1BR 1B.  Neither would do property values any good.

Poor analogy.

You're the one making an analogy. You recounted a personal experience so I'm just asking a follow up question. I was just wondering which you find more tasteful within the situation, someone wearing a line green tux or someone wearing nice jeans and a polo shirt. It was just a question that's apropos to the thread topic. It wasn't meant as a personal attack or judgement. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I was just wondering which you find more tasteful within the situation, someone wearing a line green tux or someone wearing nice jeans and a polo shirt.

Guess my attempt to express "none of the above" using a different frame of reference didn't work. ☹️

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Guess my attempt to express "none of the above" using a different frame of reference didn't work. ☹️

OK, now with this response I understand what where you were going with your post. All good, and I understand your position. 🙂

Just now, kwokpot said:

OK, now with this response I understand what where you were going with your post. All good, and I understand your position. 🙂

Ain't the easiest medium for communication, to be sure!  I definitely do a better job when I'm not using a tiny phone keyboard and too often wind up in 'terse mode' as a result.  Give me a real keyboard any day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, patty1955 said:

Yes, we are people watcher too. That's why we love "Chic" night. I love seeing people's interpretation of ""Chic." We've seen everything from a 40 year old prom dress to the live green tuxedo (which looked fabulous.)

What we don't like, is Celebrity's accommodating bad behavior. We've seen it for years and it's getting worse. We've seen shows held because of late-comers, young children allowed in hot tubs and the t-pool, chair hogs, game players in the buffet during meal times, etc. Celebrity seems to allow a lot as long as no one complains. They don't seem to realize that sometimes people don't complain even though they are very annoyed. None of us want to be "that" person. 

When we started cruising on Celebrity,  folks dressed elegantly on "Formal" nights making for an experience reminiscent of a James Bond movie.  Sadly,Celebrity has allowed standards to degrade so that shorts are acceptable on "chic" night. For the last several cruises, it appears that no standards are enforced at all.   What confuses me is what makes Celebrity think they can charge premium prices for an   atmosphere which duplicates what one might find on a discounted cruise line?  Men, let me give you a hint:  wives like it when you dress up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, canderson said:

Ain't the easiest medium for communication, to be sure!  I definitely do a better job when I'm not using a tiny phone keyboard and too often wind up in 'terse mode' as a result.  Give me a real keyboard any day. 

Since I asked and you shared your opinion, I'll share mine. My opinion on this sensitive topic is l rather see someone who is dressed nicely in something that's not quite within the stated dress code than someone who's outfit while conforming to the code is obviously so out of style or poorly fitting that it borders on the ridiculous. Of course that's all a matter of personal opinion but isn't the whole subject of clothing and fashion subject to personal tastes? Anyway just wanted to share my thoughts but more importantly have the ability to have some back and forth discussions without it devolving into personal insults and hurt feelings. 

Edited by kwokpot

6 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

When we started cruising on Celebrity,  folks dressed elegantly on "Formal" nights making for an experience reminiscent of a James Bond movie.  Sadly,Celebrity has allowed standards to degrade so that shorts are acceptable on "chic" night. For the last several cruises, it appears that no standards are enforced at all.   What confuses me is what makes Celebrity think they can charge premium prices for an   atmosphere which duplicates what one might find on a discounted cruise line?  Men, let me give you a hint:  wives like it when you dress up.

When is your next Celebrity cruise? 😏

50 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Of course that's all a matter of personal opinion but isn't the whole subject of clothing and fashion subject to personal tastes?

Indeed it is, but in practice it will always be subject to cultural norms in any given setting.  High tea at the Brown in jeans and a polo?  Even here in Colorado that attire would seem entirely out of place... as would that lime green tux (no doubt a refugee from a late 60's wedding party!) 

That's not to say they wouldn't serve a person in jeans and a polo, but their patrons tend to show a bit of respect for the establishment and fellow guests, even without being asked in some set of guidelines.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, patty1955 said:

Very few people on this thread are saying cruise lines should tolerate “bad behaviour”, especially when it impacts someone else’s vacation, ie chair hogs, kids in hot tubs, etc. What I don’t understand is how some people are making the leap to equate that with someone sitting beside them at dinner wearing jeans or, heaven forbid, shorts!

• Like 1

Nobody gets it. It’s not if other peoples clothing bothers you-,it’s about the people who aren’t adhering to the dress code, because the rules just don’t apply to THEM. Any rules.

It’s  a much deeper issue than wearing shorts in the dining room. Jmho

• Like 14

34 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

What I don’t understand is how some people are making the leap to equate that with someone sitting beside them at dinner wearing jeans or, heaven forbid, shorts!

Ignoring the clearly laid out attire preferences of any establishment used to considered bad form... Especially so if the establishment is working to differentiate its product through those preferences.

Now, rather than disrespectful, it's considered by some to be a right.  

For some, the social contract is entirely different now.  Rather than an agreement between host and guest, it's come down to "Stuff your business model.  I'm the one paying the bill".

It then falls to the host to decide whether to forego the differentiation and the business that brings in favor of a wider but less selective market by just going with the flow, or to hold the line and cater to a clientele that appreciates the differentiation.

There should be room for both given the variety of dining options on a cruise ship, but most Celebrity ships don't hold the line in even a single venue such as Murano.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 7

Well I’m as blind as a bat without my spectacles so I just don’t wear them. I know what I’m wearing & what dh is wearing. Other than that I’ll not be able to see unless I put specs on. If I don’t like what I see I’ll keep them off 😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rick&Susan said:

Some rather incorrect accusations:

- I never said I complained to anyone. I simply told them & you that I was curious.

- I never complained about people not dressing up in tuxes or suits for Formal nights, which most cruise lines have gratefully stopped. 

- I did not bring a suit, as the current trip this cruise is part of is 30 days long & I had no other need of same. But anyone has room for a pair of slacks & a collared shirt.

- The buffet & room service have always been perfect options for those who want to remain in beach or gym wear into their evening.

- I first searched "evenng dress" & found no other threads, so I made my inquiry.

- I never criticized jeans or dressy, long shorts. For that matter, I didn't criticize anyone- as most of you ironically did me- I simply observed & expressed personal disappointment & curiosity about what other lines might be doing now. I actually received zero feedback on any specific lines that also have no policy anymore like Royal.

Yes, back to Celebrity's much better experience, food & service.

To answer you directly.

No Celebrity doesn't inforce it's rules.

Should they? In my opinion yes. When you book you accept all the Booking Conditions not just the ones you like. If you don't like the Booking Conditions book with a different line. 

• Like 10

8 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

Very few people on this thread are saying cruise lines should tolerate “bad behaviour”, especially when it impacts someone else’s vacation, ie chair hogs, kids in hot tubs, etc. What I don’t understand is how some people are making the leap to equate that with someone sitting beside them at dinner wearing jeans or, heaven forbid, shorts!

IMO...I don't really think it's the shorts/tee that is objectionable to some, but I'm visualizing a short, tight, multi coloured, way above the knees, pair of shorts and an also tight, short, multi coloured muscle shirt with exposed hairy chest and underarms  dining next to our already too close MDR table.  This convo has gone off the rails that we're looking down on the shorts/jeans/tee crowd.  Clean and neat and appropriate for the fit on the body works for me.  Other than that my haha moment would be the green tux so of that I'm guilty. 😉  For me, I'll continue with a nice cocktail dress or pants and beaded top and DH in casual slacks, dress shirt and jacket will look really good across the table...won't notice anything beyond our few square ft...unless...the hairy chest appears next to us...at that we'll move tables...not a problem.

Edited by Oceangoer2

This is discussed on every forum. I could not care less what other people wear and i'm not sure what it says about a person who is bothered about someone else's clothing. Surely behavior is much more important of an issue. Your all on holiday go and enjoy it and if someone is wearing shorts or a t shirt that upsets you I think thats more of a problem to actually question yourself.

I did enjoy noticing the people who really dressed up but peolpe in shorts on the other hand did look much more comfortable to me and they were just as well behaved. Chill out relax and enjoy your holiday.

• Like 1

Dress code again?

The same comments from the same people (ok, ok, me tooo ) every time!!

Can't everyone just follow the guidelines and make it easy for the Staff----and leave your " Me-Me-- I got MY rights " BS at home. Yea, I know-- You are Mr/Mrs/Ms " Big " where you come from, but, on a cruise nobody cares. 

Yup-- I got a problem--- it does bother me when I see the crap some people wear into the dining room.

Usually, a loudmouth slob comes with the outfit.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Rick&Susan said:

Currently on Royal's Oasis of the Seas for 1st time on Royal, regular Celebrity cruiser- disappointed to experience that & curious why men are wearing shorts (even gym shorts, not long dressy shorts) & T-shirts in specialty restaurants, MDR & public areas after 5pm, even on "Formal" nights. I've never seen this in 60 years of cruising on 12  lines

There is no dress code only dress request. Things have changed in 60 years. but the dress you observed on Royal has been like that about for ten years maybe more. Dress has changed on Celebrity too as formal night has morphed into a more casual Evening Chic night.