How does Oceana compare to Celebrity?

AMCJavelin

We have cruised Celebrity several times and loved it.  Looking potentially at an Oceana cruise out of NYC in September of 2023.   For anyone that has cruised with both Celebrity and Oceana, how similar are they?  I know that is a pretty broad question, but not sure how else to ask it.  For some background we are a retired couple in our late 50's, while on board, we enjoy lounging on deck in the sun with a good book.  We don't drink or gamble.  We do enjoy the shows on board.  Pretty much we view it as an opportunity to relax and unwind. We are a pretty relaxed laid back couple.  Any help is appreciated.

6 minutes ago, AMCJavelin said:

We have cruised Celebrity several times and loved it.  Looking potentially at an Oceana cruise out of NYC in September of 2023.   For anyone that has cruised with both Celebrity and Oceana, how similar are they?  I know that is a pretty broad question, but not sure how else to ask it.  For some background we are a retired couple in our late 50's, while on board, we enjoy lounging on deck in the sun with a good book.  We don't drink or gamble.  We do enjoy the shows on board.  Pretty much we view it as an opportunity to relax and unwind. We are a pretty relaxed laid back couple.  Any help is appreciated.

A search here on CC will find a zillion threads asking/answering that very common question. And all but a very few will agree that O is a class far above Celebrity - particularly when it comes to food and service as well as items like space and crew ratios. Note too that most O itineraries have at least 70% repeat passengers, many of whom jumped ship from Celebrity and never looked back.

As for the O passenger demographic: IMO, your fellow cruisers will be adults (many retired) who are generally well traveled, professionally accomplished and decorous folks who worked/work hard for their money and understand value.

And, FWIW, where O shines best is on its longer/unusual itineraries. 

A primary difference, in general, for the Oceania experience will be between the much larger O-Class ships (Marina and Riviera) and the much smaller R-Class Ships (Insignia, Nautica, Regatta, Sirena). One can hold up to 1250 passengers vs only 650.

A second key is your specific cabin. The cabins on the Rs are smaller than on the Os. Wife and I did Riviera 12/21 and are on Sirena 11/22. Our Veranda Stateroom will be much smaller on S than on R.

As for nightlife and entertainment, pretty much the same. But do NOT expect to be wowed nightly. Wife and I only did the comic on R in '21. We enjoyed him, but we went to bed around 2130-2200 to be prepared for the excursions the next day that were our focus. She barely gambled and I didn't. We brought our own wine on board and later our own beer, wine, cana, and hard liquor from the ports.

You will have NO trouble finding a quiet relaxing spot, though, of course, quiet and relaxing are subjective and the number of passengers makes a difference. (Wife and I both in our late 50s.) 

Edited by MEFIowa

We have done both and like both.

Celebrity is, as you know, much larger ships with many more places to lounge around and relax. Normally has great shows and variety of entertainment after dinner.

There is a certain amount of nickel and dimeing on Celebrity as in,  there are pay extra dining venues onboard and they can be costly, $60 to $75 per person extra.

Oceania ships are much smaller. Very much more a "relaxed" pace. Generally much older passengers. Very little in the way of entertainment at any time.

The extra dining venues are included and the food, generally,  is excellent.

There is free laundry on Oceania (3 bags) and a laundry area at the front of each deck (free).

Oceania is more expensive.

Cabins are pretty well the same size on both. Service is on par with each other.

Itineraries will be slightly different as the smaller Oceania can go places the larger ship cannot.

Excursions will be different as well, due to the onboard demographics.

We would go on either in a heartbeat.

Edited by pete_coach
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

We have done both and like both.

Celebrity is, as you know, much larger ships with many more places to lounge around and relax. Normally has great shows and variety of entertainment after dinner.

There is a certain amount of nickel and dimeing on Celebrity as in,  there are pay extra dining venues onboard and they can be costly, $60 to $75 per person extra.

Oceania ships are much smaller. Very much more a "relaxed" pace. Generally much older passengers. Very little in the way of entertainment at any time.

The extra dining venues are included and the food, generally,  is excellent.

There is free laundry on Oceania (3 bags) and a laundry area at the front of each deck (free).

Oceania is more expensive.

Cabins are pretty well the same size on both. Service is on par with each other.

Itineraries will be slightly different as the smaller Oceania can go places the larger ship cannot.

Excursions will be different as well, due to the onboard demographics.

We would go on either in a heartbeat.

Good summary.  I prefer the food on Oceania--particularly the four included specialty restaurants on the bigger ships.

I am not a fan of the production shows on Celebrity and prefer the smaller shows on Oceania.  I liked the included specialty coffees on Oceania since I don't get a drink package.

But Oceania verandas are significantly more expensive than Celebrity verandas.  You will need to decide if it is worth the extra cost.

I sail on and enjoy both lines.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, AMCJavelin said:

Much thanks - Appreciate the input

There are MANY Celebrity converts on this Board so you may be hearing from some of them. IMHO once you have sailed Oceania , you won’t be going back unless dragged back by friends you like to travel with. 

Remember, when you get aboard,  ( actually  even 30 days prior to sailing)   be sure to. VIsit with the Oceania   Club Ambassador and find a cruise or 2 or 3 and book them with the $250 deposit offer. You can use the Friends and Family discount to book your friends and then the Oceania transition is complete. 

Oceania is a fabulous experience, and you will be on a real itinerary driven “CRUISE”, You can pull out your spreadsheets and analyze until analysis paralysis takes over. but also compare Loyalty Programs and O’s is so superior you will not waste your money on other lines anymore. 

Enjoy, Mauibabes 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

There are MANY Celebrity converts on this Board so you may be hearing from some of them. IMHO once you have sailed Oceania , you won’t be going back unless dragged back by friends you like to travel with. 

Remember, when you get aboard,  ( actually  even 30 days prior to sailing)   be sure to. VIsit with the Oceania   Club Ambassador and find a cruise or 2 or 3 and book them with the $250 deposit offer. You can use the Friends and Family discount to book your friends and then the Oceania transition is complete. 

Oceania is a fabulous experience, and you will be on a real itinerary driven “CRUISE”, You can pull out your spreadsheets and analyze until analysis paralysis takes over. but also compare Loyalty Programs and O’s is so superior you will not waste your money on other lines anymore. 

Enjoy, Mauibabes 

I agree with everything mauibabes said except for the use of the term “loyalty.” I prefer “frequent cruiser” because, as much as I am an Oceania fan (in part because of the unparalleled excellent treatment of their often repeating customers), if I ever felt screwed by them, I’d be looking for another “preferred line.”

1 hour ago, AMCJavelin said:

Much thanks - Appreciate the input

THOUGH for cruise pricing on Oceania, check out the periodic sales. Presidents', Memorial and Labor Day.

That's how we did our first O cruise (Riviera, 12/21), snagging an A4 Concierge Veranda 10-day W. Caribbean cruise for just $2099 apiece, when an O brochure fell out of my WSJ on the last Saturday in Jan 21. The identical cruise on the identical ship early in 2023 is priced at $3999 per.

And yes, we did the book on Riviera then to save $200 per person (Sirena 11/22), because we fell in love with Oceania, but we have since also booked a later sale for our cruise in the Med late 2023 (Riviera).

Just now, MEFIowa said:

THOUGH for cruise pricing on Oceania, check out the periodic sales. Presidents', Memorial and Labor Day.

That's how we did our first O cruise (Riviera, 12/21), snagging an A4 Concierge Veranda 10-day W. Caribbean cruise for just $2099 apiece, when an O brochure fell out of my WSJ on the last Saturday in Jan 21. The identical cruise on the identical ship early in 2023 is priced at $3999 per.

And yes, we did the book on Riviera then to save $200 per person (Sirena 11/22), because we fell in love with Oceania, but we have since also booked a later sale for our cruise in the Med late 2023 (Riviera).

And do not make the rookie mistake of comparing only cabin fares. O’s airfare inclusion (or air credit) on a transcontinental cruise is a major comparison factor when you’re considering the premium wannabes like Celebrity or Viking.

• Like 1

Another former Celebrity cruiser here.  We also "found" Oceania after an ad fell out of a copy of the Wall Street Journal.  Remembering that we had friends that sailed with Oceania, we asked about their experience, and decided we must try it.  Our first cruise was on the Riviera in June 2022 (Rome-Barcelona), and it was "as advertised".  

The things we loved the most are: at least 1 reservation at each specialty (you can try to get more), no photographers, no art auctions, generally excellent food (only 1 real "miss", not a big deal), smaller ships with less crowding.  We enjoyed so much that we booked another cruise on the Vista, which is currently under construction.  As others have said, not as much entertainment variety, but we were satisfied with the offerings (especially the pianist/singer in Martinis).  

We have no issues with Celebrity but feel like we found a new home with Oceania.  Except for a "one off" cruise on Holland America this December (sailing with friends, and THEY picked the line), we see us sailing mostly Oceania.

• Like 1

Just to express a slightly different view, I thought I would give you our experience.

We have only been cruising for the last 9 years, and during that time, we have taken 8 cruises on Celebrity, with a couple more scheduled in the future.  We have taken one Oceania cruise on Marina, and have another scheduled on Vista next year.  We like both, but at this point we still prefer Celebrity.  We liked the smaller size of Marina, and we thought the "free" access to each specialty restaurant was great, and we thought the specialty restaurants were really outstanding.  We were much less impressed with the main dining room on Marina.  In fairness, our recent cruises on Celebrity were in Sky Suites, so we are in a sense comparing Marina's main dining room to Luminae on Celebrity, which might not be considered a fair comparison.  We liked the reasonable size of cabins on Marina.  We were in a Concierge Veranda, which is listed at 291 Sq. Ft.  This is comparable to a Sky Suite on Celebrity, but is probably 50% bigger than a regular veranda on Celebrity (depending on which ship).  I understand that the R class ship cabins are significantly smaller, closer to the size on Celebrity ships.  This might seem like a small item, but we really liked the availability of self-service washers and dryers on Oceania, and wish that Celebrity had the same.  Particularly on an extended trip, that is a huge convenience.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TFree said:

This might seem like a small item, but we really liked the availability of self-service washers and dryers on Oceania, and wish that Celebrity had the same.  Particularly on an extended trip, that is a huge convenience.

On the O ships there are more self-service washers and dryers so it's a nice amenity to make use of.  The R ships are a different matter. 4 washers and 4 dryers for the entire ship, in one tiny room.  It was always very crowded and it didn't matter if it was a sea day or port day. On my next cruise on Sirena which is coming up soon I won't be putting myself through all that hassle again. I'm going to take advantage of my full allotment of complimentary laundry.  I'll be on vacation!

Shows on O are fairly tame. The food IS the entertainment. We jumped from Celebrity to O due to food quality. There is NO comparison(unless you're in Celebrity suites) That being said we switch to other lines on occasion such as Princess for our next 2 trips. Hard to say no to a 14 day Penthouse on Sky Princess for $4300 PP.  Food, however will be an expected letdown, unfortunately on Princess