MSC Meraviglia Questions before I book

Mhl76

Thinking about going on MSC Meraviglia in the summer of 2023 from NYC and I have a few questions…

1. Is this cruise line ranked higher or lower then Carnival?

2. What is included in the Yacht club in reference to food and beverages?

3. Are there daily trivia like Royal/NCL, etc?

4. If you stay in a Yacht club room, do you get unlimited alcoholic drinks?

5.  If you stay in a Yacht club room, do you get unlimited Specialty dining?

6. We are a family of 4…. Including 2 teens. Any restrictions on the teens going into the clubs?

Thank you!

I can't comment on the Yacht Club questions, but I imagine it is less likely that you would have daily trivia on an MSC ship, as so many of the passengers are not English-speaking, or at least not as their primary language.  Likewise, the shows are less likely to be language dependent.

On the plus side, we enjoyed our MSC cruises to a large extent because of the mix of passengers and experiences.  It just felt more like being "away", rather than at a local entertainment/food venue.

Considering booking YC, the value far exceeds any accommodation level on a Carnival ship.

3 hours ago, Mhl76 said:

What is included in the Yacht club in reference to food and beverages?

The YC Restaurant and Pool Grill and Room Service menu ought to satisfy you.  Alcoholic beverages:  there is a premium list that is not included.  Why one would not be satisfied with what is included mystifies me.  

3 hours ago, Mhl76 said:

Question #4:  read my post above.

Question #5:  No.  Why does one think one needs such?  I found no reason to experience it and passed up on a free specialty dinner because of my MSC status.  

3 hours ago, Mhl76 said:

Any restrictions on the teens going into the clubs?

No idea.  

15 hours ago, Mhl76 said:

6. We are a family of 4…. Including 2 teens. Any restrictions on the teens going into the clubs?

Normally teens are now allowed in clubs, however they have their own teen activities.  MSC has a strict 21 & up drinking policy unlike some other lines that allow 18 year olds to drink at sea.  Not sure if these teens are closer to 16 or 19 - that might make a difference.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I can't comment on the Yacht Club questions, but I imagine it is less likely that you would have daily trivia on an MSC ship, as so many of the passengers are not English-speaking, or at least not as their primary language.  Likewise, the shows are less likely to be language dependent.

On the plus side, we enjoyed our MSC cruises to a large extent because of the mix of passengers and experiences.  It just felt more like being "away", rather than at a local entertainment/food venue.

I've always thought of it like going to Italy without having to fly there.  The decor is breathtaking.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mhl76 said:

Thinking about going on MSC Meraviglia in the summer of 2023 from NYC and I have a few questions…

2. What is included in the Yacht club in reference to food and beverages?

3. Are there daily trivia like Royal/NCL, etc?

Thank you!

On the Meravigia now TA

There has been trivia every day, morning and afternoon.

Lots of activities all day. The 6 languages on board do not seem to be a problem 

Quite a variety of shows nightly. (3 ensemble productions) so far.

Only the English speaking comedians limit the audience by language.

Can't compare to Carnival since that's the only line we have never tried.

Although we have sailed the "ship within a ship" experience on other lines, we did not choose YC for our first MSC.

Got to say we are certainly getting good value for the money. Perhaps because there are only 1300 on the TA Crossing.?. YC folks we met said the YC is almost full.

Definitely a beautiful ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mhl76 said:

2. What is included in the Yacht club in reference to food and beverages?  Private dining room for all three meals a day, a buffet and cook to order breakfast and lunch on the private pool deck.  Snacks in the Top Sail Lounge 20 hours a day.

3. Are there daily trivia like Royal/NCL, etc?  On sea days, there are usually three per day (sometimes additional ones in the Sports Bar), at least two rounds on port days.

4. If you stay in a Yacht club room, do you get unlimited alcoholic drinks?  No cap, like on Carnival.  I suppose if you pass out, they would cut you off.   

5.  If you stay in a Yacht club room, do you get unlimited Specialty dining?  No.  If you are Platinum, you would get one specialty dining meal for two people.  In the dining room, they will bend over backwards to cater. to special needs or dishes.

Thank you!

Question one is difficult.  What criteria would you have?  Value, experience, safety?  We were former Carnival cruisers that now book MSC YC exclusively.  To us, MSC is better overall, hands down.  There are articles doing comparisons between the two lines.  One of the better and more objective is from Cruise Blog:  https://cruise.blog/2020/09/compare-msc-vs-carnival-cruise-line.

Other answers are above in your text.

• Like 1

Lots of similarities in mainstream cruise lines.  But, if there were a big difference between them, it would be between MSC and Carnival.  You're sailing similar itineraries, but they are two very different experiences....particularly between the Yacht Club on MSC and something line a Havana Cabin on Carnival.  I will say, if you enjoy the Carnival experience, you'd be less likely to enjoy the MSC experience....and vice versa.

MSC has a very European feel to it, whereas Carnival is more of an amusement park feel.  MSC is glitz, Carnival feels like Gatlinburg.

MSC food is very Mediterranean.  Carnival is unabashedly American chain restaurant.

MSC entertainment tends towards appealing to an international crowd.  Carnival entertainment tends toward Pigeon Forge.

Again, not saying one is better, just very different.

• Like 3