CPS Parking

mike30542

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Recently porters have not been that much in evidence. However, it normally is only 20 yards or so to the luggage area, so not too much of an issue.

We used CPS in March and July this year and on both occasions there were plenty of porters, as you say it is only a few yards so not a big issue.  We usually take our own cases over to the holes in the wall so the porters can tend people who need help.  If we do use the porters we usually tip them.

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I prefer to park our own car and keep the keys.

That's OK until you return to a different terminal than the one that you left from. At least with CPS you and your car are both at the same terminal (unless there has been a very late change to the terminal)

• Like 1

On our Arcadia cruise back in Aug/Sep we used CPS but found we were left to our own devices to transfer the bags to the appropriate "hole in the wall" at the Mayflower terminal. Not much evidence of porters around for those with mobility or other issues. Luckily we stopped almost opposite the "hole" assigned for our deck so it was fairly easy.

I think it's another sign of the staffing issues and economy measures being implemented. In pre-covid times the porters were falling over themselves to grab your bags and shuttle them off for loading.

Used CPS on all four cruises, usually get it as part of the booking vice less onboard credit if the maths works out.  Drop car off, I always take my bags over, it's not far.  As someone said above the Porters are there for those that need them.  We travel light, one case each and one small electrical items and charger case goes into the hole and then hand luggage only.  Done hand keys over to being on the ship in 14 mins.

Likewise on disembarking, took ourselves off Britannia, had a disembarkation window of 07:30 - 07:45 and was north of Newbury on the A34 at 07:45.  Really smooth.

Had one car clean and wash, that was excellent.  Also as someone pointed out above we had a terminal change on the way home once, car moved for me.

Personally can't fault them.  Like anything you will find cracks if you go looking.  They may not be cheap but service is excellent.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

Likewise on disembarking, took ourselves off Britannia, had a disembarkation window of 07:30 - 07:45 and was north of Newbury on the A34 at 07:45.  Really smooth.

Are you sure about your timings ?

Not sure you can get out of Southampton in 10 minutes, let alone get beyond Newbury !

27 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

Defo sure.  I was off the ship at 06:58.  And it was a Sunday morning.

I took it that you got off between 7:30 and 7:45 !

Even so, over over 40 miles in less than 45 minutes, taking the 30 mph limit in Southampton into account, is pretty good going !

We're not arguing.  My disembarkation window was 07:30 - 07:45, they let us off as soon as everything was secured, CPS were open at 06:55, pretty much right away from there, greens all the way.  Easy, smooth.

Granted we're lucky we can take ourselves off, but those windows for disembarking yourself are "generous".  I don't know what happens if I'm still aboard at 07:46.

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I wish that the Carnival lines would use the parking system that Celebrity do.  I prefer to park our own car and keep the keys.

Unfortunately there are far more cars that use CPS when booking with Cunard, Princess and P&O on a weekly basis and the number of ships compared to Celebrity. The compound CPS used to store cars is a distance from terminals within the port area. Such a small amount usually park at Southampton when sailing with Celebrity so easier to park and leave cars in that position until return.

36 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I am not sure this is correct. Can you show on a map where you think this is?

See CPS   FAQ's 

Where are the cars parked during my cruise ? 

CPS .. All cars are kept in secure compounds within the docks and adjacent to the cruise terminals.

https://www.cruiseparking.co.uk/Help

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I am not sure this is correct. Can you show on a map where you think this is?

The cars are driven away from the terminals and parked in a secure compound within the port boundary. If you think they are parked where you pick your car up when you disembark then just think how many Cunard, Princess and P&O cruiser's leave cars with CPS on a daily basis and that car park is not big enough. If you want clarification read CPS website for confirmation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

The cars are driven away from the terminals and parked in a secure compound within the port boundary. If you think they are parked where you pick your car up when you disembark then just think how many Cunard, Princess and P&O cruiser's leave cars with CPS on a daily basis and that car park is not big enough. If you want clarification read CPS website for confirmation.

Yes I’ve just noted above they are adjacent to the terminals. 

Just now, Gettingwarmer said:

Yes I’ve just noted above they are adjacent to the terminals. 

They drive them away and park your car in secure compound and then return your car to terminal you are disembarking from the day before your cruise ends. So your car is ready for you when you disembark the next morning.

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

They drive them away and park your car in secure compound and then return your car to terminal you are disembarking from the day before your cruise ends. So your car is ready for you when you disembark the next morning.

As I said I have read the post from Kalos above which states adjacent to terminals. 

1 hour ago, Red Leicester said:

CPS parking store is right opposite the Ocean Cruise Terminal.  90 second walk from the exit.  I'm assuming that's where my wheels spent its holiday anyway.

They are not stored there for the duration of your cruise. What happens to all the other cars using CPS whilst your away. The car park where you pick your car up is not big enough for that number of cruises. They are stored in secure compound and then returned to that car park ready for your disembarkation.

• Like 1

Actually, you are both right.

CPS have a pick/up & drop off parking compound (where their key hut is). However they also have longer term storage compounds.

Following some changes when the port was empty during Covid, they have more space immediately next to the terminals.

So when it comes to Iona cruises, your car was being parked in the collection compound all week long. With other cruises using the enlarged space for collections.