Live from Coral Princess - Round Australia October 2022

Just now, getting older slowly said:

Very nice to read all the updates   many thanks Julie......

Will wave from the Grand on the opposite side of Station Pier on Friday...

Can't believe it is only 3 sleeps to go.... better start packing....lol

Cheers Don

Unfortunately we won't be in Melbourne on Friday.

Due to weather conditions, plus the medical emergency just after leaving Busselton, we won't arrive in Adelaide until Thursday. They haven't announced which of the remaining ports - Melbourne, Burnie or Hobart - will be axed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes, I saw that.  I think the length of the cruise made it a higher risk for covid. 

Definitely, plus the spread is exponential so what may have been just a couple of cases at the start of the cruise has snowballed out to bigger numbers. Hopefully we're past the peak and the mandatory RATs before going ashore in Fremantle and Busselton may have caught a few people who didn't realise they had caught it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Definitely, plus the spread is exponential so what may have been just a couple of cases at the start of the cruise has snowballed out to bigger numbers. Hopefully we're past the peak and the mandatory RATs before going ashore in Fremantle and Busselton may have caught a few people who didn't realise they had caught it.

I guess with shorter cruises people could be off ship and test positive at home etc. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

I guess with shorter cruises people could be off ship and test positive at home etc. 

Yes. We didn't start noticing the tables until around the time we reached Darwin (day 10 from Sydney). I developed symptoms the day we were in Broome (day 14 from Sydney).

• Like 2

Just now, Cbtours said:

Whoo hoo we are negative and off to party lol

That's great news. 

I think I'm having that post-antivirals crash someone mentioned. I've been feeling a bit tired (although one hour time shifts two days in a row don't help) and don't feel like eating much (whereas I was quite hungry while I actually had Covid). I'm quite glad we have an extra sea day.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's great news. 

I think I'm having that post-antivirals crash someone mentioned. I've been feeling a bit tired (although one hour time shifts two days in a row don't help) and don't feel like eating much (whereas I was quite hungry while I actually had Covid). I'm quite glad we have an extra sea day.

Julie, after you completed your sentence, did you get to Good Spirits Bar for some medication?

th.jpg.a2793e210deb751df9bed77c58dd33a8.jpg

Edited by NSWP

Just now, NSWP said:

Julie, after you completed your sentence, did you get to Good Spirits Bar for some medication?

th.jpg.a2793e210deb751df9bed77c58dd33a8.jpg

We had plenty of "medication" delivered to our cabin during iso! 🤣

But, yes, we have resumed our usual habit of hanging out in Good Spirits before dinner, and sometimes afterwards as well. That's as long as the big group doesn't drive us away.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's great news. 

Just sleep while you can! And take care of yourself 🥰🥰The time changes are a bit confusing too! 

• Like 1

Just now, Cbtours said:

Just sleep while you can! And take care of yourself 🥰🥰The time changes are a bit confusing too! 

Unfortunately I'm one of those people who can rarely sleep during the day. And on the rare occasions that I do I don't sleep very well that night.

• Like 2

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

Unfortunately I'm one of those people who can rarely sleep during the day. And on the rare occasions that I do I don't sleep very well that night.

That’s me to a tee! Unless your not 100% then it might work if you feeling tired 🥰

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Due to weather conditions, plus the medical emergency just after leaving Busselton, we won't arrive in Adelaide until Thursday. They haven't announced which of the remaining ports - Melbourne, Burnie or Hobart - will be axed.

According to the TV location, none will be missed as the sea day between Adelaide and Melbourne is gone.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's great news. 

Yep. That was me.  It happened in our family. Felt quite well after a couple of days then back to fatigue for a while. So after that he realised he wasn't fully back to normal and rested more. He was told this might happen from someone else who'd had covid earlier. It's common. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bvm49 said:

According to the TV location, none will be missed as the sea day between Adelaide and Melbourne is gone.

What ?  Is the Coral firing up to 38 knots? lol. Did they fit turbo chargers in Freo, or are those things on top the turbo chargers lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, according to Melbourne ports you are now arriving at 6.00am Sat 5th at station pier Melb.

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

Might be staff shortages being the reason why only 1 MDR open.

Crikey, the one open must be choc a block.

Not really, if so many are getting an enforced room service 😉

Even there, it isn't necessarily a staff shortage that causes this. Instead of waiting tables, having to deliver meals all over the ship is a significant strain to food service. It is also part of the reason that some ships set up a dedicated isolation area, as they can deliver services to the cabins much quicker.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

NSW Gov website now has Coral at Tier 3, so there must be many cases.

Tier 3
Cruise reporting icon Wide

High Impact to Vessel
There are a lot of cases on board (100 or more positive cases per 1,000 people) and/or the vessel is unable to maintain critical services due to staffing or resource shortages.

The one thing I haven't been able to confirm is whether they are reporting total cases or just active cases. If it is total, Julie, Frank and others that have recovered would still be in the count.

It is also possible that tier 3 wasn't triggered by positive numbers, but a critical service that can no longer be maintained. Something like a shortage of anti-virals would trigger an alert and the necessary support from state health departments.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The one thing I haven't been able to confirm is whether they are reporting total cases or just active cases. If it is total, Julie, Frank and others that have recovered would still be in the count.

It is also possible that tier 3 wasn't triggered by positive numbers, but a critical service that can no longer be maintained. Something like a shortage of anti-virals would trigger an alert and the necessary support from state health departments.

Might be both Geoff. Will they allow Coral of the Seas in to Sydney next week? Or will they have to go to Brisvegas to unload, lol.😷😷😷😷😷mask up!

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Johhno said:

Yes, according to Melbourne ports you are now arriving at 6.00am Sat 5th at station pier Melb.

We're in Adelaide on Thursday so Friday will be a sea day. We don't need the turbochargers. 🤣

But that means either Burnie or Hobart will need to be dropped as we are due in Sydney next Tuesday and the ship can't get from Tasmania to Sydney overnight.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, arxcards said:

A guy we spoke to last night had actually walked around all the decks and counted 253 cabins with tables in front of doors. Some of those cabins may have had more than one Covid patient so my guess is around 300 at that point in time, which would have triggered Tier 3. 

I'm fairly sure they would only count active cases so the numbers should start dropping over the next few days. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Yep. That was me.  It happened in our family. Felt quite well after a couple of days then back to fatigue for a while. So after that he realised he wasn't fully back to normal and rested more. He was told this might happen from someone else who'd had covid earlier. It's common. 

Thanks, Pushka.

We had planned to do a Cradle Mountain excursion out of Burnie (if we get there) but I think it would be smart to postpone that for another time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Not really, if so many are getting an enforced room service 😉

Even there, it isn't necessarily a staff shortage that causes this. Instead of waiting tables, having to deliver meals all over the ship is a significant strain to food service. It is also part of the reason that some ships set up a dedicated isolation area, as they can deliver services to the cabins much quicker.

So if there are 300 in iso, the mdr has to give the other 1700 pax the option of dining. Sure some go to the HC. The 2 dining rooms on Coral, Bordeaux and Provence are not huge and only 1 is currently open.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1