Regent Smart Guide

We're puzzled.  We both have old LG (which doesn't make smartphones anymore) Android smart phones, which we only bought after our flip phones were no longer supported.  We've never even tried to use headphones with them.  We will soon replace the phones with 5G phones.  Is Regent telling us that we need to buy headphones or wireless equivalents as well, even though we have absolutely no use for headphones under normal circumstances?

No, we're not luddites; but we only buy technology that we need.  If we're walking or driving, we don't want to have headphones to distract us.  J & J

1 hour ago, Joanandjoe said:

Is Regent telling us that we need to buy headphones or wireless equivalents as well, even though we have absolutely no use for headphones under normal circumstances?

Basically, yes. Although in my experience about half the people on the tour didn't read the instructions, download the app, or have headphones so they just had to walk close to the guide so they could hear. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

Basically, yes. Although in my experience about half the people on the tour didn't read the instructions, download the app, or have headphones so they just had to walk close to the guide so they could hear. 

Interesting.  Regent used to use wireless headsets, which worked well on Regent and on my two recent trips with Road Scholar.  "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Don't they know that many seniors, including the two of us, are not enamored of app-based technology?  Regent cruisers include a lot of seniors.

• Like 1

We were on the Navigator for the 2022 Grand Arctic this summer.  VERY disappointed Regent Destination Services did not require guides, especially for any walking tours, to use the Smart Guide.  Some guides used the Whisperer system but I find the Whisperer box heavy and uncomfortable around my neck.  Because I already carry my cellphone as my camera, I am happy when it does double duty.  I was unhappy with passengers who didn't take the time to download the app (which can be done before you leave home; there is an excellent tutorial on the in-suite TV) but crowded around the guide and monopolized him/her.  You can use the cellphone speaker if you don't have or can't use headphones.  I did this once or twice but stayed to the rear of the group.  I included these comments on the mid-cruise and final guest survey.

• Like 3

Just home from our Voyager cruise when on several occasions the experience would have been far improved had the guide used the Regent system.  A couple of guides had their own microphone/headphone arrangement, which was fine, but others relied on their voice alone.  When a guide has used the Regent system - in Istanbul, for example - we have found it to work really well and it has enhanced our tour hugely (eg riding on public transport, when we could sit in different places on the tram and still hear our guide explaining what we were seeing through the windows, without disturbing other passengers)   

• Like 2

• 3 months later...