Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 41

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, October 10 and Sunday, October 16.

We have Fall Colors here in SoCal!!  (Green is a color, right?) Show us your colors!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Manners. My parents were big on manners. I learned pretty early what was acceptable to throw into the next booth at a crowded restaurant. Here’s a hint: NOTHING! Over the years I have noticed a decline in manners amongst children to the point that well-mannered behavior is noteworthy rather than normal. On Saturday we were invited to a birthday celebration for a one-year-old. Since it was our grandson, we weren’t comfortable pretending we hadn’t received the invite, so we went. Countless children of Tara and Matt’s friends were there, and they were almost universally well-mannered. Hope for the future! Kai’s table manners still need a bit of polish, but I have renewed faith.

Manners Maketh The Man

332728126_2022-41MannersMakethTheMan.thumb.jpg.b5ce3bbb609eadb71af1b6f16877c321.jpg

Dave

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Something that's been fairly rare of late here in Florida - a weekend without all-day rains and overcast skies!  Finally had a decent Saturday with rains in the morning parting way for a clear afternoon, followed by a sunny and clear Sunday.  So I got a chance to wander the wetlands both days and catch some nice bird action.

Ruby-throated hummingbird male, sitting still for a rare moment:

original.jpg

Well I did say rare...back to the firebush tree for some more feeding:

original.jpg

And why is it called a 'ruby throat' when it pretty much looks green and white?  Well those little black-looking feathers in a spot on the neck, which appear black from almost any angle...when seen head on and with the light hitting it just right, that little spot lights up with a brilliant ruby red, like a jewel:

original.jpg

A winter visitor has returned - the elusive Wilson's snipe was trying to stay hidden about 100 feet away, but my big 600mm lens was able to frame him:

original.jpg

This red-bellied woodpecker was busy grooming - all fluffed up, and with a feather stuck on his bill:

original.jpg

Much bigger than most lizards, but smaller than iguanas, the knight anoles are striking lizards in brilliant green with yellow racing stripes:

original.jpg

More wintering birds back in town - the male common yellowthroat:

original.jpg

And the black-and-white warblers have really started to populate down here in their winter home:

original.jpg

All wintering birds need to be wary of the red-shouldered hawk, always looking for a small bird as a nice meal:

original.jpg

A lovely green iguana - this one stood out as the lighting was really nice, with strong backlight coming in from behind him as he sat in the shade on a branch:

original.jpg

The female American redstart is also a snowbird winter visitor:

original.jpg

The small, endangered atala butterfly, enjoying the coontie plant where they exclusively lay their eggs:

original.jpg

• Like 5

A rare sunny Saturday called for a seaside walk

Swallows nesting at the surf-lifesaving club building

RX034930.thumb.JPG.9d936010fabe024745a53842b9024cce.JPG

Some enjoyed the beach ...

RX034940.thumb.JPG.d97ac814d962fc431fc6b039afd25423.JPG

... others played in the surf

RX034942.thumb.JPG.8ff21d323f164720fd3009ab77dd6a14.JPG

This sulphur-crested cockatoo was much more interested in his snacks than the humans watching it

RX034974.thumb.JPG.f947420041dab3df1263c6048f49416a.JPG

RX034980.thumb.JPG.359020dc663011508e3485519a90582d.JPG

• Like 3