Travel Insurance Question

Florida Fan

22 minutes ago, Florida Fan said:

I'm going to book a cruise in the next couple of weeks and want to get travel insurance.  Is it better to get it with Royal Caribbean when I book or with a private insurance company?

we always buy trip insurance but NEVER through the cruise line.  You can get better coverage for less money through a third party.

here is where we go to get our quotes….

www.insuremytrip.com

Edited by GTO-Girl

We never buy thru the cruise line.  Last year we bought an annual plan since we did a LOT of travel, this year we are doing only a small amount of travel, so booking trip by trip.  Keep in mind, if an annual plan is under consideration, depending on your policy/company you can designate the start date of coverage.  

It really depends on what you want to insure against. Travel Insurance can be great if something goes TU and it is a covered reason. The biggest complaint about travel insurance is people don't read and understand what is and is not covered. People get very upset when something happens only to find that the claim is denied because it wasn't covered.

Example: My wife fell and smashed her face into the sidewalk in Cancun. We had to go to the hospital. We had insurance. I knew that Travel Insurance is reimbursement only, so I wasn't surprised when they asked for $3600 up front. What I forgot (in the heat of the emergency) was that the insurance company required that we notify them before going to the hospital. Claim denied.... (I did have international coverage on my BCBS but after deductibles and Out of Network charges, I only got back half)

I recommed Trip Insurance Store.com and if nothing else, read the FAQ. Here's a link

Travel Insurance Frequently Asked Questions « Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another vote for www.TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL them.  They are incredibly patient, and you don't need to "sign up" when you first call them.

They are a broker and work with several vetted insurers (no extra charge to the traveler).

We've had several claims, including a few large ones, and all were paid without nonsense - and that's what counts, after all.

Let them help you when you speak with them about which types of coverages you might want to consider, or which might not be so useful for you.

The best selection of coverages is usually available within a week or two of the very first payment, so if you can get it started early, that's probably useful.  (You only need to start the insurance coverage for the initial payment, such as the deposit amount, and then up the coverage as you make more payments.)

RM

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 9:54 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Another vote for www.TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL them.  They are incredibly patient, and you don't need to "sign up" when you first call them.

They are a broker and work with several vetted insurers (no extra charge to the traveler).

We've had several claims, including a few large ones, and all were paid without nonsense - and that's what counts, after all.

Let them help you when you speak with them about which types of coverages you might want to consider, or which might not be so useful for you.

The best selection of coverages is usually available within a week or two of the very first payment, so if you can get it started early, that's probably useful.  (You only need to start the insurance coverage for the initial payment, such as the deposit amount, and then up the coverage as you make more payments.)

RM

After reading the posts about the Trip Insurance Store we decided to contact them. What a pleasure to get a "real live" person on the phone and they were extremely helpful. They took my information and what our needs were and emailed me a policy that would cover it.  We were able to enroll online and feel very relieved and comfortable with it. Now! All that is left is "upgrading" the drink package and packing!!