Canceling reservation/switching sailings

Mimiunb

We just found out that my husband needs to go for another surgery on his tibia and fibula this month. We are supposed to sail December 31st with our two young kids however, I don’t think this will be possible. 

Will Royal allow me to switch sail dates and only pay the price difference?

I am thinking no. We didn’t buy any type of insurance and our cruise is paid in full. Are we ***** out of luck to get a credit, switch sailings or get a refund?

I will be calling tomorrow, just figured I would ask here first to see others experiences. 

1 hour ago, Mimiunb said:

Maybe, but you are in the 25% penalty phase inside final payment - so in addition to the penalty, you'd have to pay the diff.  You might get a sympathetic CSR who will move you with just the $100pp penalty mentioned above, but don't expect it.

2 hours ago, Mimiunb said:

We just found out that my husband needs to go for another surgery on his tibia and fibula this month. We are supposed to sail December 31st with our two young kids however, I don’t think this will be possible. 

I am thinking no. We didn’t buy any type of insurance and our cruise is paid in full. Are we ***** out of luck to get a credit, switch sailings or get a refund?

I will be calling tomorrow, just figured I would ask here first to see others experiences. 

I've switched twice in the past 2 months for various reasons. Switch, pay the fees, and salvage the overall cost and money you have spent. And a big P.S. Buy insurance for the new reservation!!! Go online and get it on your own. I paid about $110 per person to insure about $4k in trip costs. Worth every penny.

3 hours ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

I've switched twice in the past 2 months for various reasons. Switch, pay the fees, and salvage the overall cost and money you have spent. And a big P.S. Buy insurance for the new reservation!!! Go online and get it on your own. I paid about $110 per person to insure about $4k in trip costs. Worth every penny.

Insurance is a good recommendation but unless it includes CFAR (cancel for any reason) the OPs case may not be covered unless the doctor says no travel.  There are reports of cases where the doctor oks going back to work or travel yet the patient does not want to go because they can't fully enjoy the trip and in those cases the cancellation insurance did not cover them.  The devil is in the details.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Insurance is a good recommendation but unless it includes CFAR (cancel for any reason) the OPs case may not be covered unless the doctor says no travel.  There are reports of cases where the doctor oks going back to work or travel yet the patient does not want to go because they can't fully enjoy the trip and in those cases the cancellation insurance did not cover them.  The devil is in the details.

The OP should IMHO just be use to purchasing travel insurance as a general rule, since it appears they do not. I wasn't getting into any medical specifics. And for the hell of it since you went there. There are many reasons medical and other that can be explored when making a claim. Oh, I agree the devil is in the details. But if you have the insurance in the first place, you have a shot at fighting fire with fire. Also, it's advise I always give when someone says they don't have it. It doesn't cure everything, but does give a fighting chance.

11 hours ago, Mimiunb said:

You are in the 25% penalty phase for the next few days and then you will be in the 50% penalty phase.  Best not to delay your decision.

Those that were referring to the $100 fee were making that assumption as if you were before final payment.

Here is the cancellation schedule.

image.thumb.png.d1f1b49f2b685a4b4bc07f52a7ef0a38.png

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I believe the new rule, or same rule that existed prior to covid, is a $100 penalty pp to switch your sailing if you booked a non refundable deposit.

11 hours ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

$100.00 per person change fee plus whatever the fare difference would be.

The OP is after final payment and in the 25% penalty phase of the booking.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Here is the cancellation schedule.

image.thumb.png.d1f1b49f2b685a4b4bc07f52a7ef0a38.png

I think I asked this before, but ...

Say your deposit is $250pp and your cruise fare (excluding taxes/fess) is $500pp.

If you cancel prior to final payment = $250pp

If you cancel during 25% penalty, would it be $250 or $125?

I would assume it would be the greater of deposit amount or penalty amount.

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Say your deposit is $250pp and your cruise fare (excluding taxes/fess) is $500pp.

Higher amount

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The OP is after final payment and in the 25% penalty phase of the booking.

Gotcha....i forgot about that part since I was spoiled in 2020/2021 with switching sailings within a couple of weeks of actual sail date.    Thank you

Edited by Sunshine3601

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

No, if you have non-refundable and cancel before final payment you are out $100 per person.  Not the full deposit.

23 minutes ago, SRF said:

No, if you have non-refundable and cancel before final payment you are out $100 per person.  Not the full deposit.

Not anymore (ended for NRD as of 6/1/22). 

You lose the entire deposit, unless you move the booking, or you cancel a NextCruise ($100pp deposit) booking.

All deposit payments for Nonrefundable Deposit Bookings (“NRDB”) made after 5/31/22 are non-refundable from the time of booking. All NRDBs made on or prior to 5/31/22 are eligible for a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a 100USD/100CAD/80EUR per person service fee (FCC not applicable to select Asia markets).

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, SRF said:

No.  If you cancel you are out the full amount.  That changed in June.  No more FCC's issued.  It is only a $100 pp penalty if you change sailings

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I booked in August, paid in full, switched end of August, paid fare difference ($100 pp change fee waived). Changed again this week and only was charged $100 pp change fee. Change fee still varies based on person you deal with, but more so what the change is. Each time my rez went up in price or cat. 

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

I booked in August, paid in full, switched end of August, paid fare difference ($100 pp change fee waived). Changed again this week and only was charged $100 pp change fee. Change fee still varies based on person you deal with, but more so what the change is. Each time my rez went up in price or cat. 

Were you past Royals final payment date.  The OP is.  Big difference.