Bank and account changed from credit card used for NCL

EllieinNJ

I usually use the AAA card from Bank of America for cruises and other travel like hotel reservations.  Bank of America just notified me that the AAA card has been switched to another bank and my account is now closed and another one opened with the new bank with a new number.

Do I have to notify NCL and the other cruise lines  which I have reservations with or can I just change it at final payment?   As for the hotels can I just show up and give them my new credit card?  I'm just afraid if I notify them in advance they will change my reservations to the new rate which is greater than when I booked.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I usually use the AAA card from Bank of America for cruises and other travel like hotel reservations.  Bank of America just notified me that the AAA card has been switched to another bank and my account is now closed and another one opened with the new bank with a new number.

Do I have to notify NCL and the other cruise lines  which I have reservations with or can I just change it at final payment?   As for the hotels can I just show up and give them my new credit card?  I'm just afraid if I notify them in advance they will change my reservations to the new rate which is greater than when I booked.  Thanks.

@EllieinNJ Many credit cards have perks and benefits when used for travel especially cruises.  If the card is no longer with a specific bank, the benefits that card provided might and key word might be lost.  I would call NCL, replace card now to get full benefits from the card.  An example is my American Express Platinum provides a certain level of health/accident insurance and Perks for the brand.  But I have to pay for everything with the same card.  I am trying to make sure you get all you deserve.  

Hope that helps.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Thanks 1

There should be no change to your reservation for cruises or hotels.  I would just wait until close to final payment and then notify cruise line to charge the new credit card.  They have no need to know the old one no longer exists.  Just pay with new card at hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as for NCL, just pay with the new card the next time you make a payment.  No need to notify them of anything.  The only thing you have to worry about is if you cancel something (whole cruise before final payment, excursion, etc.) that would result in a refund.  They will refund to the original form of payment.  Also not necessary to notify hotel.  The card you use to hold the reservation does not have to be the same card you use to check in or pay your final bill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

Often for hotel reservations, even for "refundable rates" they will put a hold on the credit card you have given information about when making the reservation, either on the day of arrival or the day before arrival. And if it is not possible to put on hold the 1st nights fee, then you risk the hotel reservation of being cancelled. And if you then need to rebook shortly before arrival, then the rate is very likely to be much higher than your original reservation. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

Often for hotel reservations, even for "refundable rates" they will put a hold on the credit card you have given information about when making the reservation, either on the day of arrival or the day before arrival. And if it is not possible to put on hold the 1st nights fee, then you risk the hotel reservation of being cancelled. And if you then need to rebook shortly before arrival, then the rate is very likely to be much higher than your original reservation. 

ahhh, I've never encountered this but this would be a good reason to either re-book if the rates are the same, or call them to see if they can switch the card on your current reservation

49 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

I will agree with the above as well.  I've stayed at hotels that do indeed put the charge through in advance of your arrival at the hotel.  I've seen it mostly in Europe.  Due to this possibility, I needed to directly contact 2 hotels on a recent planned trip to swap out the card number they had on the reservation because my original card was closed and replaced with a new account.  Both of them made the change without adjusting my rate.  But I could not do it online.  I had to phone one hotel and the other I exchanged emails with them.  I took the risk of sending the new credit card info via email.  For better or worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1