Sapphire Beach or Magen's Bay

NRichard10

We want to just take a taxi and do a beach break in St. Thomas on this trip. Maybe do a little shopping near port on the way back.

Thinking about Sapphire or Magen's Bay. Just my husband and myself. Just not sure which one.

Looking for some personal opinions to help me make a decision.

Would like to know how far each beach is from the Royal Caribbean dock and approximate taxi cost per person each way. 

Is there less traffic to one or the other?

Are there public restrooms and changing rooms on each beach?

Does anyone know what the water temp. is the first week of November? 

Thank you in advance for all of your help in making a decision on these 2 beaches.

Magens 100%. I know there are plenty of people who love Sapphire, but I don’t get the appeal. When we were there, the water was very rough (too rough for us Floridians to get in) and it was very rocky. Magens was calm and sandy. There were changing rooms and kayak/SUP rentals. Magens is beautiful!

Edited by FLcruisergrl

Magens is the most touted by cruise directors. Beautiful and calm, but just not our choice because it is so busy.

Sapphire is our first choice always. Just a more relaxed vibe, the amenities you want, etc. But the big difference between Sapphire and Magens is the gorgeous island views…and the reef and seagrass areas combine to create the beautiful varying sapphire water colors…

Sapphire can be rough but we’ve also seen it calm as glass…there is a sandy wading area between the sea grass and reef areas but that is where most day visitors hang. You can easily get a nice shaded spot away from the restaurant at Sapphire and still have the amenities - not so at Magens.

All beaches are dependent on the weather, but Magens is more protected. But that is the reason we find Magens less interesting…

Sapphire is a bit further from Crown, so you may want to choose Magens or even Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach). 

Edited by blue_water
Typo
  • Like 2

Sapphire was pretty rocky so be sure to have water shoes.   No umbrellas either.   You can get shade under one of the trees but get there early.  Also had no beach service, needed to get it yourself

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, negn said:

Sapphire was pretty rocky so be sure to have water shoes.   No umbrellas either.   You can get shade under one of the trees but get there early.  Also had no beach service, needed to get it yourself

We’ve  always had a nice, sandy area between the seagrass and rocky areas when staying at SBRM. But water shoes are a good idea for most beaches, as the sand shifts, especially when the current is strong. We see that along the Mexican Riviera Maya and other areas as well…

Most day visitors tend to hang at the sandier, swimming area of the bay by the bar/restaurant. As mentioned there are seagrape trees providing shade in front of the rocky/reef area. That is not far from the bar area and there was drink service was offered there unless that changed. Condo owners/renters also lounge there but their lounges are a different color. So the wait staff should know you are day visitors…

The gorgeous water colors of Sapphire are created by the rocky and seagrass areas, and the and the island views just add to the beauty…

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 9:06 PM, pittnh said:

The time we were at Sapphire they were turning people away who didn't book through the cruise, you couldn't walk up and rent a chase lounge

Really?  I would have said I'm staying on the island and hid my towel in a bag.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Jean, you can put a towel on the sand on any beach in VI. Most people want a beach chair, and for years Sapphire rented them to anybody who visited the beach. That may have changed recently on ship days.

I am still debating Magens or water island in December in the morning for our cruise stop as we won't be visiting either when we go back post cruise for a few days since we are staying near Red Hook and aren't renting a car.  If I go to Magens on our own, I'll give a FYI here.

• 2 weeks later...

The time we were at Sapphire they were turning people away who didn't book through the cruise, you couldn't walk up and rent a chase lounge

really? we've never seen the cruise tours there. And it's pretty big - enough space for everyone. They can't really send you away - there is a lot of natural space. Lots of chaises for rent, but some people don't need it.

There is a resort to the right and to the left...

We were there last week. Lovely as always, not very crowded at all.

20221122_143629.thumb.jpg.cab37879f7a60617cf986c7b67246f1b.jpg

20221122_140837.jpg

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

That’s a first for Sapphire! There is a rental center catering to anyone who comes - no matter if you are staying at one of the 3 Sapphire condo properties or elsewhere on STT, or day trippers coming off a cruise ship. So that doesn’t make sense…We hope the cruise lines haven’t entered into a contract with the board!!!

Edited by blue_water

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 2:01 PM, cruisingrandy said:

About what is cost of taxi from havensigth to Sapphire?

It is $17pp from crown bay, so maybe $15pp from havensight or maybe still 17. Sapphire to Megan's is 14pp, Megans to ship 15. They charged 1 year old same as adult with us

• 3 weeks later...

We were in St. Thomas last week and went to Megan’s Bay.   It’s a 15.00USD per person each way cab ride.  $5.00 PP entrance fee and a Beer is $5.50.  Chair Rentals are $20.00 each.  No wifi. It was very crowded and to be honest I’ve been to nicer beaches so I wasn’t sure what the hype is all about.   We would try another beach next time.  

The day before we were in St Maarten.  20 minute walk to a beautiful beach - $25.00 gets you 2 beach chairs with an umbrella, 6 Corona and free wifi. The beach is not as clear but just as beautiful in my opinion.   

10 hours ago, Work2cruz! said:

We were in St. Thomas last week and went to Megan’s Bay.   It’s a 15.00USD per person each way cab ride.  $5.00 PP entrance fee and a Beer is $5.50.  Chair Rentals are $20.00 each.  No wifi. It was very crowded and to be honest I’ve been to nicer beaches so I wasn’t sure what the hype is all about.   We would try another beach next time.  

The day before we were in St Maarten.  20 minute walk to a beautiful beach - $25.00 gets you 2 beach chairs with an umbrella, 6 Corona and free wifi. The beach is not as clear but just as beautiful in my opinion.   

Tell me more about your 20 minute walk to a beautiful beach on St Maarten😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carbon said:

Tell me more about your 20 minute walk to a beautiful beach on St Maarten😀

When you get off the ship you can with walk a few minutes and you’ll see a water taxi.  I think it $7.00 if you buy a return ticket or $5.00 one way.  For walking just walk out of the port and follow the road. You’ll see shops to your left.  Just follow and your on the beach.  Lots of chairs and umbrellas.   About 20 minutes.  The vendors will ask for more.  Keep walking and tell them you want 2 chairs, umbrella and a 6 pack of Corona and offer $25.00.  We walk about mid-way up until you see a little restaurant call Caribbean Blend.  Great jerk chicken.   You can see the ships from the beach. Enjoy.  

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 6:45 PM, Work2cruz! said:

When you get off the ship you can with walk a few minutes and you’ll see a water taxi.  I think it $7.00 if you buy a return ticket or $5.00 one way.  For walking just walk out of the port and follow the road. You’ll see shops to your left.  Just follow and your on the beach.  Lots of chairs and umbrellas.   About 20 minutes.  The vendors will ask for more.  Keep walking and tell them you want 2 chairs, umbrella and a 6 pack of Corona and offer $25.00.  We walk about mid-way up until you see a little restaurant call Caribbean Blend.  Great jerk chicken.   You can see the ships from the beach. Enjoy.  

That would be Great Bay Beach. We spent 10 days there and it is close to the cruise ship pier…

Magens Bay would be our last beach choice for a day visit to STT. Mainly because it is just boring to us…it lacks the character some beaches have. For example Doctors Cave Beach in Jamaica and some of the east end beaches of STT like Sapphire Beach and Coki just exude that “character”, or Caribbean feel. But others love Magens too, and it is dead calm with a nice, sandy bottom if that is your main criteria.

She is beautiful from Drake’s Seat though!

Edited by blue_water