Getting Nervous re Whisper

Joywrk

The Whisper is the only one of the classic fleet (pre-Muse) that has not been updated.  I was told that this was due to the fact that it had been used for the World Cruise for many years and never had enough open time for a re-fit.  My CC suggested that it was probably due for a drydock for that reason.  I went ahead and booked a voyage for early 2024, but I have since reconsidered and cancelled it in favor of one of the newer ships. I don't want to find out only a few months before saiing that the cruise is cancelled, as happened to me when the Shadow went in for updating in 2019.   As to food and beverages, it should be of the same quality level that you will find in the other ships, which means sometimes it's great and sometimes there are issues with supply, etc., but the age of the ship shouldn't impact that.  What could impact your enjoyment of food and bev on the Whisper is simply the fact that as an un-updated ship it has less variety of restaurants and cuisines.  Unless it's an expedition, my DH wants an Arts Cafe on board.

1 hour ago, Joywrk said:

Over a year ago we booked Sydney to Tokyo on Whisper. We convinced 2 couples to join us. The recent reviews show complaints about food, beverages and state the ship is “tired”. Should we be bailing?

If you are asking for advice on here, then probably yes. We spent 5 weeks onboard in February and March and everything was outstanding.

6 minutes ago, Joywrk said:

I don’t understand the comment about asking for advice. I am thankful for the opinionS I hear.

I am sailing her for the 3rd time on Saturday. I was on her back in December for 2 weeks and don't recall her being tired. Will be glad to let you how I feel about this upcoming sailing.

• Like 1

I was just on her 3 weeks ago and I personally did not notice a serious “tiredness”  to the ship. The rooms were very nice and clean, the only area was the sliding door was showing its age, but worked fine. At first I was having issues with the food, then it improved except  for the eggs at the buffet, it was hit or miss whether they would be hot, so I tended to order an omelette that was always hot. The buffet selection was sufficient for me, but I seem to remember more options on the newer Muse that I took last year. Also at dinners if I asked for a side of veggies, they tended to be cold. I didn’t complain, others may have.  I also preferred the increased restaurant options like the Arts cafe and Indochine on the Muse versus the Whisper. However I really enjoyed the room service options on the whisper. 

We did have some service issues in La Terraza one night and the Main restaurant on another night, but after those hiccups all other nights were fine. The TV options were good enough for me, the gym had a nice space for me to do my individual workout and they had sufficient  amount of free weights and other equipment and the machines looked to be in good shape. 

I thought the staff was very friendly and efficient. And although I don’t really have any complaints, I think I would prefer the newer ships due to the increased public areas/spaces and restaurant options, as well as slightly nicer room suite in regards to space and larger shower, but frankly the rooms are not much different from the Muse. 

will be trying the Dawn next year, so I’ll be able to compare.

I think you will enjoy the whisper , I really had no complaints, I thought it sailed nicely  and was overall comfortable and enjoyable. 

I would not bail,  especially if the itinerary is what you are interested in. I don’t know when you are planning on sailing, but Lois will be sailing soon and she provides great feedback. 

I hope you enjoy 😊 

Edited by bobolz
  • Like 4

I don’t know, I think older ships have character and not so much glitz.  That said we’ll be on Sliver Spirit and the new Silver Nova.  But I really like the older ones.  Guess we’ll see—-in your case you need to try it, only you will know, what someone else thinks isn’t that important in the final decision.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2022 at 8:33 PM, bobolz said:

Also to add, if you are not satisfied with your meal, including something served cold, you can always send it back, they are very accommodating. 

And sometimes they'll quickly get you something hot and other times it will take longer so that tablemates will be finished with their meals.

We just got off the Whisper. I didn't find the rooms tired looking although we did have an issue with our sliding door on our second segment (We had to change rooms between segments).

I felt The Restaurant reminded us of a dining room in an assisted living place with it's dated decor. 

I found that the lack of a place to grab a snack or a light bite annoying and found room service less than adequate. 

If it's a port intensive itinerary, I'm sure it will be ok. However we found the lack of quality entertainment in the evening plus the lack of lectures or other things to do during sea days to be a detriment. Of course YMMV depending on what you like

Edited by AtA
  • Like 1